From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us>
To: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ssoma-mda: Use the email subject as the commit message
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:31:00 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 05:30:29AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> W. Trevor King wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 11:43:23PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > > Sounds like a good idea to make it fall back if require fails.  Can
> > > you do it or would you like me to handle it in Perl?
> >
> > If you tell me the Perl idiom for that, I can write up a patch.  In
>
> 	eval { require Foo; };
> 	my $have_foo = $@ ? 0 : 1;
>
> That won't perform any imports, but I think most of those modules do
> not require imports.

And then if have_foo, we ‘use Foo’ to get the import?

> > > public-inbox also wraps spam filtering/learning (SpamAssassin) +
> > > sanitization, and that's arguably more important than the web
> > > UI.
> >
> > Then I'd shift those hooks over to ssoma-mda.  Actually, I'd
> > probably leave it up to folks to hook those into their mail server
> > / MDA before messages get as far as ssoma-mda.  Spam filtering is
> > a generic issue; there's no need to build all the checks you'd
> > want (also greylisting, DKIM, SPF, …) into ssoma-mda itself.
>
> Uh, you just contradicted yourself :) public-inbox is that mail
> server/MDA layer before ssoma for me.

Filtering spam is something that lots of folks want (folks who may not
be interested in Git archives), and it should happen at the MTA level
(e.g. [1]) or in a procmail chain (e.g. [2]).  The spamc hook
shouldn't be tied to any Git-archive stuff.  I'd shift the Git
metadata extraction to ssoma-mda, use the Postfix filtering to drop
spam for everyone, use procmail to deliver mail for everyone, and then
call ssoma-mda from ~meta/.procmailrc.

> What I like about mairix is it generates a new Maildir of results
> (which I can nuke at any time) and doesn't care what MUA I use.  I'd
> like to get notmuch to do that for my local mail.

Notmuch has helpers to do that sort of thing [3] and notmuchfs looks
pretty generic [4].  Personally, I use notmuch's Emacs client for
searching and browsing old mail, and then use Mutt independently for
checking my inbox and composing mail.

> > Patching notmuch to read email directly from Git shouldn't be too
> > bad, since there aren't many views where you actually need the
> > full email (usually the stuff in the Xapian index is sufficient).
>
> Just having notmuch return a Message-ID should be sufficient to
> retrieve the full email from ssoma, actually.

Right, but ssoma isn't a MUA.  The notmuch command line and MUAs also
return individual messages (‘notmuch show’, the Emacs UI [5],
presumably notmuchfs, …) also need access to the raw messages (which
aren't stored in Xapian) for message-level views.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
[2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Procmail#Spamassassin