* censorship or technical issues in FSF lists?
@ 2019-09-23  8:42 Daniel Pocock
From: Daniel Pocock @ 2019-09-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi all,

I received the reply below personally

It includes CC: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org but the message
didn't appear through the list

Is this because of list settings (requires the list address in the To
header) or because of some moderation policies or because some people
are censored?  Can FSF tell us if any people are currently censored on
this list and if so, how many?

Some people contacted me given the way I have raised concerns about
censorship in other communities recently.  A rushed change of the
president appears to be a vulnerable time for any organization.

After FSFE started censoring communications from elected community
representatives (myself), the discussion was migrated to a parallel
list.  If anybody wants to know they are receiving every message at this
crucial time, please come and join us there, it can be your canary in
the coal mine.

Personal invitations to subscribe have already been sent to many people
I correspond with.  It is hosted in Switzerland so any censors promise
to be neutral.  Nonetheless, I would draw your attention to the bigger
question: Any list admin eventually becomes tempted to censor things,
which free software technology provides the best way to eliminate the
risk of censorship?

https://lists.fsfellowship.eu/pipermail/discussion/2019-May/000000.html

Regards,

Daniel

From: Federico klez Culloca @ 2019-09-23  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

@ 2019-09-23 10:30   ` Daniel Pocock
From: Daniel Pocock @ 2019-09-23 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 23/09/2019 11:02, Federico klez Culloca wrote:

>> list.  If anybody wants to know they are receiving every message at
>> this
>> crucial time, please come and join us there, it can be your canary in
>> the coal mine.

>> Personal invitations to subscribe have already been sent to many people
>> I correspond with.  It is hosted in Switzerland so any censors promise
>> to be neutral.  Nonetheless, I would draw your attention to the bigger
>> question: Any list admin eventually becomes tempted to censor things,
>> which free software technology provides the best way to eliminate the
>> risk of censorship?
>>
>> https://lists.fsfellowship.eu/pipermail/discussion/2019-May/000000.html
>>

> Yes, and this resulted in electing Garfield (yes, the cat) as a community representative. Please, let's not do this again here.

Electing Fellowship councillors/reps is not the same as electing an FSF
president, nobody is planning a vote like that.  Having more than one
channel of communication appears to make the community stronger and
protect a diversity of voices.

Garfield is well equipped to comment on the late Mr Epstein.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/garfield/images/f/fc/1990-04-08.gif/revision/latest?cb=20171202190642

I wonder how long Garfield will last in the free software movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUPwdH-cKlE

I hate Mondays.  For every other day, there is the fsfellowship list

Regards,

Daniel