* Software Freedom Day
@ 2016-09-18  4:52 Jim Garrett
From: Jim Garrett @ 2016-09-18  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

This is very ironic.

I've been working on an essay to explain to my family, friends, and
colleagues what Free Software is and why I think it's important.  It's
been awkward because most of them are utterly oblivious to the whole
topic (outside my family, that is), so it's challenging to even start a
conversation.

I've found it very challenging to write.  I think three times I
completely threw away my draft; I finally completed the fourth.

As of September 16th I thought it possible I could complete the essay
soon, the 17th or the 18th, and then I saw Georgia's message on the
morning of the 17th announcing Software Freedom Day.  I had no idea!
Sadly, it's just after midnight in my time zone, so I didn't quite
publish on SFD.

The essay can be found here:
https://internetperdition.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/seek-freedom-not-permission/.
Perhaps you might see something that might help in discussing Free
Software issues with others. Also, I would welcome any thoughts,
comments, or factual corrections.

Please keep in mind that you are not the target audience.  Furthermore I
make no claim to explain the Free Software movement's positions
(articulated by the FSF or anyone else) in my own words; rather, I'm
giving my carefully-considered views, which align substantially with
Free Software values, as I understand them.  The purpose of this is to
help me to be able to look people in the eye and tell them what I
believe, and why..

Best regards,

Jim Garrett

Boston area, Massachusetts, USA