* An ethical compass for progress
@ 2018-07-15 16:26 Michael Rauch
From: Michael Rauch @ 2018-07-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Dear dwellers of libreplanet

After much thinking about what "progress" means to me, I decided to
write an article [1] about it. I share it here, because I consider
libreplanet to be fertile ground for thoughts concerning ethics.

Any feedback on the article is highly appreciated.

1: http://www.miranet.ch/posts/2018/07/15/metamux_compass_en/

Cheers,
Michael

* Re: An ethical compass for progress
@ 2018-07-15 20:30 ` Alexander Berntsen
From: Alexander Berntsen @ 2018-07-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

* Re: An ethical compass for progress
@ 2018-07-15 22:55 ` C.W. Epema
From: C.W. Epema @ 2018-07-15 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your insights about monitoring progress with the LibrePlanet community. I cannot speak for all community members of course, but for me I can say that I am happy with your contribution.

First I think it is important to discuss themes like you submitted to LibrePlanet.
I believe it will help us better to find the position of Free software within our societies.

Your claim in the article says "In every society there are essential pillars that support the society".
I can follow your claim for positive societies (pillars will possibly be supporting life, supporting peace and so on) . But what about the pillars of society for more negative societies (=do not support life, do not support peace)?

Is a moral or ethical compass still viable for "negative societies"? Would the pillars for "negative societies" be opposed to "positive societies"?
Is it okay regarding your article to split societies in negative or positive?

Kind regards,

Kees

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:26:40 +0200
Michael Rauch <l15t@miranet.ch> wrote:

> Dear dwellers of libreplanet
>
> After much thinking about what "progress" means to me, I decided to
> write an article [1] about it. I share it here, because I consider
> libreplanet to be fertile ground for thoughts concerning ethics.
>
> Any feedback on the article is highly appreciated.
>
> 1: http://www.miranet.ch/posts/2018/07/15/metamux_compass_en/
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Groet,

Kees Epema
Rosa Spierweg 20
9408EV Assen
T: 06 100 66 878
M: keesepema@linuxmail.org

Protect your privacy and encrypt your messages.
Add my key to your keyring:
PGP key: https://osmigratie.nl/keesepema.asc

* Re: An ethical compass for progress
@ 2018-07-16 12:56   ` Michael Rauch
From: Michael Rauch @ 2018-07-16 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hello Kees,

Thank you for your feedback and questions.

On 16.07.2018 00:55, C.W. Epema wrote:
> Your claim in the article says "In every society there are essential pillars that support the society".
> I can follow your claim for positive societies (pillars will possibly be supporting life, supporting peace and so on) . But what about the pillars of society for more negative societies (=do not support life, do not support peace)?>
> Is a moral or ethical compass still viable for "negative societies"? Would the pillars for "negative societies" be opposed to "positive societies"?
> Is it okay regarding your article to split societies in negative or positive?

I personally have a hard time partitioning societies into
negative/positive ones. At best, I could probably figure out a
negative/positive attribution comparing two societies directly.

The ethical compass I describe in the article is based on two ideas:
1) the individual (and the society) has to know where she wants to go
2) the individual (and the society) has to take responsibility in
getting there

Therefore, I consider an ethical compass to be valuable for transforming
a negative/disfunctional/dystopian society into a decent one.

For myself, it's more motivating to envision and build towards a desired
outcome, rather than spending energy on opposing something. My article
reflects this preference.

Kind regards,
Michael