On 2019-10-12 10:13 a.m., Dmitry Alexandrov wrote: > Aaron Wolf wrote: >> On 2019-10-12 3:20 a.m., Dmitry Alexandrov wrote: >>> Aaron Wolf wrote: >>>> MBR posted a Facebook link (which should have had a warning/apology perhaps) >>> >>> I beg my pardon? Warning of / apology for what? >> >> Just like "sorry for Facebook link" or something (because Facebook is a company that works against most of the values we care about here). > > Well, a good half of the Internet work against or at least contributes something against freedom of computing. I do not think that _we_ have to apologize for them. > >> I checked just now that this particular link is visible publicly without JavaScript though, so I guess it's not too bad, relatively speaking. > > Basically, it is not bad at all. :-) > > But do you mean, that Facebook have other pages that are not readable without running nonfree scripts? > Unlike Twitter, it can be common to have Facebook links that people assume are basically public and visible but get blocked by requirement to sign-in. I'm not sure about the Javascript issues per se. And I generally do apologies (and promote such habits) when I use or prompt others to engage with entities I feel are harmful overall. To be specific to software freedom, instead of an absolute of never suggesting or using any proprietary software ever, I make compromises to be practical but I *acknowledge* and *apologize* for them. They aren't my fault, but I'm promoting *awareness* of the problem and refusing to spread the idea that using non-free software is just fine and normal.