* thank you elon musk
@ 2022-04-26 17:37 Thomas Lord
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Lord @ 2022-04-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Libreplanet Discussion list

If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
they should never be trusted to anything right again.

:-)

-t

* Re: thank you elon musk
@ 2022-04-26 17:56 ` Valentino Giudice
       [not found] ` <c2359af3adfc646c2675b6edfc08ba1f@riseup.net>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Valentino Giudice @ 2022-04-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Libreplanet Discussion list

Twitter was proprietary before and it is proprietary now. Using Twitter
required proprietary software before and it does now (unless Elon changes
that, which is unlikely). It was possible to interact with Twitter with no
proprietary software and it still is.

If anything, the FSF should be pushing for Twitter to only use free
JavaScript instead (pushing for LibreJS-compliance would be ineffective and
almost unachievable) and never require users to run proprietary software.

The FSF is not the "everything foundation". It promotes free software, not
whatever other political cause you might have.

There is no significant difference now about either Mastodon or Twitter
(and the differences between the two are the same as before) from a free
software perspective.

[...]

@ 2022-04-26 17:56   ` Thomas Lord
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Lord @ 2022-04-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaio Duarte Costa, Libreplanet Discussion list

Why is this hard?

A lot of serious people are now looking for an exit from twitter.

The ones I see are asking about Mastadon.

The FSF front page is a bunch of dust stuff about libreplanet,
and they evince no concerted, organized activity to stand up
instances and education materials -- to move people to Mastadon.

Why else do they exist?  It is not enough to "have a position"
on twitter.  Get to the barricades.

I have long been troubled that FSF has devolved to the kind of
NPO that exists mainly to provide jobs for the people who
operate it, and not to serve a useful social function.

Here we have today a clear circumstance in which they can
prove me wrong.

-t

On 2022-04-26 10:50, Kaio Duarte Costa wrote:
> Em 2022-04-26 14:37, Thomas Lord escreveu:
>> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> -t

> Hey Thomas,
>
> I didn't quite understand your message, where is the FSF failing in
> promoting Mastodon? By using Twitter which has now been bought by Elon
> Musk?
>
> If this is the case, I recommend you see the page “Is the FSF on
> Twitter?” (https://www.fsf.org/twitter)
>
> Please clarify the points that you consider FSF's low effort in
> relation
> to Mastodon, to make it easier to understand!
>
> Sincerely,

* Re: thank you elon musk
       [not found] ` <c2359af3adfc646c2675b6edfc08ba1f@riseup.net>
@ 2022-04-26 18:10 ` Aaron Wolf
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2022-04-26 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord, Libreplanet Discussion list

It's "mastodon" with two o's not two a's

   On 2022-04-26 10:37, Thomas Lord wrote:

     If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
     they should never be trusted to anything right again.
     :-)
     -t

References

   1. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: thank you elon musk
@ 2022-04-26 18:12   ` Thomas Lord
From: Thomas Lord @ 2022-04-26 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Wolf; +Cc: Libreplanet Discussion list

:-)  speling is not my strength.

(Thanks)

-t

On 2022-04-26 11:10, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> It's "mastodon" with two o's not two a's
>
> On 2022-04-26 10:37, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
>> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> -t

   :-)  speling is not my strength.

   (Thanks)

   -t

@ 2022-04-26 18:23     ` Danny Spitzberg
From: Danny Spitzberg @ 2022-04-26 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Kaio Duarte Costa, Libreplanet Discussion list

Unfortunately, Twitter has a huge critical mass of users and functions as a
(publicly traded) public utility. News programs read tweets live on TV.
Politicians post statements via tweets too. Earthquake reports come out
first via Twitter before official alerts come out - also on Twitter.

As for Mastodon,
https://twitter.com/gravecat/status/1518598015396818944

   [1]https://twitter.com/gravecat/status/1518598015396818944

     On 2022-04-26 10:50, Kaio Duarte Costa wrote:
     > Em 2022-04-26 14:37, Thomas Lord escreveu:
     >> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
     >> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
     >>
     >> :-)
     >>
     >> -t

     > Hey Thomas,
     >
     > I didn't quite understand your message, where is the FSF failing
     in
     > promoting Mastodon? By using Twitter which has now been bought by
     Elon
     > Musk?
     >
     > If this is the case, I recommend you see the page “Is the FSF on
     > Twitter?” ([5]https://www.fsf.org/twitter)
     >
     > Please clarify the points that you consider FSF's low effort in
     > relation
     > to Mastodon, to make it easier to understand!
     >
     > Sincerely,

References

   1. https://twitter.com/gravecat/status/1518598015396818944
   2. mailto:lord@basiscraft.com
   3. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   5. https://www.fsf.org/twitter
   6. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: thank you elon musk
@ 2022-04-26 18:28       ` Thomas Lord
From: Thomas Lord @ 2022-04-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Spitzberg; +Cc: Kaio Duarte Costa, Libreplanet Discussion list

There is nothing the software freedom movement can do to prevent the
existence of malicious users or malicious server operators.  All that we
can do is make sure that none of them are able to monopolize a widely
shared service, and that the software needed to stand up servers is
libre software.  So your criticism of Mastadon misses the point and
suggests you aren't interested in helping bury software unfreedom.

-t

     On 2022-04-26 10:50, Kaio Duarte Costa wrote:
     > Em 2022-04-26 14:37, Thomas Lord escreveu:
     >> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
     >> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
     >>
     >> :-)
     >>
     >> -t

     > Hey Thomas,
     >
     > I didn't quite understand your message, where is the FSF failing
     in
     > promoting Mastodon? By using Twitter which has now been bought by
     Elon
     > Musk?
     >
     > If this is the case, I recommend you see the page "Is the FSF on
     > Twitter?" ([5]https://www.fsf.org/twitter)
     >
     > Please clarify the points that you consider FSF's low effort in
     > relation
     > to Mastodon, to make it easier to understand!
     >
     > Sincerely,

References

@ 2022-04-26 18:33     ` Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-04-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2377 bytes --]

I second that, what's so difficult on making a blog post for people to
spread across social media so that people leaving twitter know about
libre alternatives?

Like i did this
https://nitter.sethforprivacy.com/kreyren/status/1518752197785362432 and
got 16 people to try mastodon in 17 hours (based on responses on my
mastodon profile) and that's low effort post with no resources for
marketing compared to the impact that FSF would have

On 4/26/22 19:56, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Why is this hard?
>
> A lot of serious people are now looking for an exit from twitter.
>
> The ones I see are asking about Mastadon.
>
> The FSF front page is a bunch of dust stuff about libreplanet,
> and they evince no concerted, organized activity to stand up
> instances and education materials -- to move people to Mastadon.
>
> Why else do they exist?  It is not enough to "have a position"
> on twitter.  Get to the barricades.
>
> I have long been troubled that FSF has devolved to the kind of
> NPO that exists mainly to provide jobs for the people who
> operate it, and not to serve a useful social function.
>
> Here we have today a clear circumstance in which they can
> prove me wrong.
>
> -t
>

> On 2022-04-26 10:50, Kaio Duarte Costa wrote:
>> Em 2022-04-26 14:37, Thomas Lord escreveu:
>>> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>>> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> -t

>> Hey Thomas,
>>
>> I didn't quite understand your message, where is the FSF failing in
>> promoting Mastodon? By using Twitter which has now been bought by Elon
>> Musk?
>>
>> If this is the case, I recommend you see the page “Is the FSF on
>> Twitter?” (https://www.fsf.org/twitter)
>>
>> Please clarify the points that you consider FSF's low effort in
>> relation
>> to Mastodon, to make it easier to understand!
>>
>> Sincerely,

-- Jacob Hrbek #StandWithUkraine

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: publickey - kreyren@rixotstudio.cz - 1677db82.asc --]

* Re: thank you elon musk
@ 2022-04-26 18:34     ` Danny Spitzberg
From: Danny Spitzberg @ 2022-04-26 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Aaron Wolf, Libreplanet Discussion list

That thread is not mine, fyi

Also I think any true ally of freedom and foe of unfreedom would take stock
of the situation with Twitter and its current dominance

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:32 AM Thomas Lord <lord@basiscraft.com> wrote:

>    :-)  speling is not my strength.
>
>    (Thanks)
>
>    -t
>

>    On 2022-04-26 11:10, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>
>      It's "mastodon" with two o's not two a's
>
>    On 2022-04-26 10:37, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
>      If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>      they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>      :-)
>      -t
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

   That thread is not mine, fyi

   Also I think any true ally of freedom and foe of unfreedom would take
   stock of the situation with Twitter and its current dominance

   On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:32 AM Thomas Lord <[1]lord@basiscraft.com>
   wrote:

        :-)  speling is not my strength.
        (Thanks)
        -t
        On 2022-04-26 10:37, Thomas Lord wrote:
          If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
          they should never be trusted to anything right again.
          :-)
          -t
     cus
     References
        1. mailto:[4]libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
        2.

References

   1. mailto:lord@basiscraft.com
   2. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   4. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   6. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: thank you elon musk
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-26 19:38 ` Adrienne G. Thompson
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2022-04-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Libreplanet Discussion list

Hi Thomas:

> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
> they should never be trusted to anything right again.

Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign to
promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement - a
movement that relies on contributions beyond code.

Adrienne G. Thompson
Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph
--
Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!

   1. GNU C-Graph: http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   2. Code Art Now: http://codeartnow.com
   3. Abertheid Campaign:
   http://www.abertheid.info/icc/pre-indictment-brief-05.10.2006.pdf
   4. Follow me on Twitter: @AdrienneGT <http://twitter.com/adriennegt>
   @GNUcgraph <http://twitter.com/GNUcgraph>
   5. Let's Link Up: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriennegt/
   6. Knees On My Neck:
   https://twitter.com/AdrienneGT/status/1288648018783277068
   7. Rise Up for Richard Stallman: https://www.stallmansupport.org

   Hi Thomas:

     If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
     they should never be trusted to anything right again.

   Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign
   to promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement
   - a movement that relies on contributions beyond code.
   Adrienne G. Thompson
   Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph
   --
   Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!
    2. Code Art Now: [2]http://codeartnow.com
    3. Abertheid
       Campaign: [3]http://www.abertheid.info/icc/pre-indictment-brief-05.
       10.2006.pdf
    4. Follow me on Twitter: [4]@AdrienneGT [5]@GNUcgraph
    5. Let's Link Up: [6]https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriennegt/
    6. Knees On My
       Neck: [7]https://twitter.com/AdrienneGT/status/1288648018783277068
    7. Rise Up for Richard Stallman: [8]https://www.stallmansupport.org

References

   1. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   2. http://codeartnow.com/
   3. http://www.abertheid.info/icc/pre-indictment-brief-05.10.2006.pdf
   4. http://twitter.com/adriennegt
   5. http://twitter.com/GNUcgraph

@ 2022-04-26 20:02   ` Jacob Hrbek
       [not found]   ` <ce45cd09-f6e3-d386-709d-06a3e36cdad9@disroot.org>
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-04-26 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 729 bytes --]

 > Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a
campaign to
promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement - a
movement that relies on contributions beyond code. -- Adrienne G. Thompson

 From my pov bcs you should be doing this by yourself through following
what is happening in the world to enable wide-spread adoption of FOSS

@ 2022-04-26 20:39   ` Thomas Lord
       [not found]   ` <ce45cd09-f6e3-d386-709d-06a3e36cdad9@disroot.org>
From: Thomas Lord @ 2022-04-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrienne G. Thompson; +Cc: Libreplanet Discussion list

My tone is harsh because of decades of the FSF doing less and less of
value in line with its mission.

My tone is harsh because FSF politics took precedent over the movement.

I wrote positive, not negative suggestions for what the FSF can do or at
least try to aim for.

I don't think they will make any serious effort because I think the FSF
leadership prefers the current dysfunction.   I'll be delighted if they
prove me wrong.

-t

On 2022-04-26 12:38, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:

> Hi Thomas:
>
>> If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>> they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>
> Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign to promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement - a movement that relies on contributions beyond code.
>
> Adrienne G. Thompson
> Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph --
>
> Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!

> * GNU C-Graph: http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
> * Code Art Now: http://codeartnow.com [1]
> * Abertheid Campaign: http://www.abertheid.info/icc/pre-indictment-brief-05.10.2006.pdf
>
> * Follow me on Twitter: @AdrienneGT [2] @GNUcgraph [3]
> * Let's Link Up: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriennegt/
>
> * Knees On My Neck: https://twitter.com/AdrienneGT/status/1288648018783277068
> * Rise Up for Richard Stallman: https://www.stallmansupport.org [4]

Links:
------
[1] http://codeartnow.com/
[2] http://twitter.com/adriennegt
[3] http://twitter.com/GNUcgraph
[4] https://www.stallmansupport.org/

   Hi Thomas:

    1. GNU C-Graph: [1]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
    2. Code Art Now: [2]http://codeartnow.com
    3. Abertheid
       Campaign: [3]http://www.abertheid.info/icc/pre-indictment-brief-05.
       10.2006.pdf

     * Follow me on Twitter: [4]@AdrienneGT [5]@GNUcgraph
     * Let's Link Up: [6]https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriennegt/

    1. Knees On My
       Neck: [7]https://twitter.com/AdrienneGT/status/1288648018783277068
    2. Rise Up for Richard Stallman: [8]https://www.stallmansupport.org

@ 2022-04-27  6:45     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-27  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord
  Cc: Kaio Duarte Costa, Libreplanet Discussion list, Richard Stallman

* Thomas Lord <lord@basiscraft.com> [2022-04-26 21:21]:

> Why is this hard?
>
> A lot of serious people are now looking for an exit from twitter.
>
> The ones I see are asking about Mastadon.
>
> The FSF front page is a bunch of dust stuff about libreplanet,
> and they evince no concerted, organized activity to stand up
> instances and education materials -- to move people to Mastadon.

It was the GNU project with the FSF that initiated promotion of
decentralized and free software social networks with GNU Social.

GNU social
https://www.gnu.org/software/social/

GNU social — a free software social networking platform
https://gnusocial.network/

Mastodon followed thereafter, and it is not the only software under
same standard. Look at Pleroma:

Pleroma / pleroma · GitLab
https://git.pleroma.social/pleroma/pleroma

And that is good effect, the rolling ball effect, and it is due to FSF
and GNU Project.

> Why else do they exist?  It is not enough to "have a position"
> on twitter.  Get to the barricades.

It is already so, and people are opening instances. Mastodon is not
GNU or FSF project but is result of the initiatives as given by FSF
and GNU -- and initiatives are obviously successful.

Please give credits where due.

Research the history of decentralized Twitter-like software.

> I have long been troubled that FSF has devolved to the kind of
> NPO that exists mainly to provide jobs for the people who
> operate it, and not to serve a useful social function.

Please, minimize that kind of rumors. I can't even take you seriously.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* About GNU Social and FSF/GNU Project influence since 10 years
@ 2022-04-27  6:51       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-27  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss, Richard Stallman

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-04-26 23:49]:
> I second that, what's so difficult on making a blog post for people to
> spread across social media so that people leaving twitter know about libre
> alternatives?

The only wrong thing is that you post that without knowing that it was
the FSF and GNU project who promoted decentralized WWW social networks
similar to Twitter.

So please research better, stop the rumors, and publishing whatever
uncertainties without research.

GNU social
https://www.gnu.org/software/social/

GNU social — a free software social networking platform
https://gnusocial.network/

GNU Network Services
https://gnu.io/

Now is how long time already? Almost 10 years -- and you come up with
information how FSF is doing nothing.

The rolling stone effect is there, as after GNU Social many other
ActivityPub (standard) based software followed, and many free software
activists contributed to it.

Now, the decentralized network is developing by momentum and by people
who already know the cause.

The FSF and GNU Project initiative worked well and gave excellent
results.

People promote their instances and other people follow. Thus it works well.

You are also free to promote how to install Pleroma or Mastodon or GNU
Social instances.

From my side:

https://gnusocial.club and https://pleroma.gnusocial.club -- so watch
how it works.

@ 2022-04-27  6:54     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-27  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Adrienne G. Thompson, Libreplanet Discussion list

* Thomas Lord <lord@basiscraft.com> [2022-04-26 23:50]:
> My tone is harsh because of decades of the FSF doing less and less
> of value in line with its mission.

Your statements only bring uncertainties. It seems there is no
research from your side.

On what criteria are you basing such statements?

Did you maybe review financial statements? If no -- how are you
analyzing things?

Is it maybe just by reaction? Like you think of something, and react
badly, and that is your analysis?

How does it work on your side?

@ 2022-04-27  7:06     ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2022-04-27  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sutton; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

You know, 'twitter' seems to be about tweeting or speaking, whatever that comes to your mind.

Can we have some kind of a reverse system that is more about listening and discovery?

Finding out what matters to people, who are allied with your current state of thinking, etc.
I think this is also related to effective homepages and search engines - can we have homepage systems that are integrated with the accompanying search engines, so that we maximize our chances of understanding what others have in mind?Rather than just HTML, we make the whole thing built up from the ground so that content will be discovered and understood by interested parties.

To function properly, this kind of system will have no advertisement or any form of influence or control, as that will add noise and make the system less effective.  It might be more compatible with federalism and democracy. 😄

As far as the buyout is concerned, my hunch is twitter is an uninteresting platform and billionaires can spend as much money as they wish as their latest vanity project - its relevance on society seems minimal?

-Yasu

> On Apr 27, 2022, at 15:36, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:
>

>> On 26/04/2022 20:38, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
>>    Hi Thomas:
>>      If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
>>      they should never be trusted to anything right again.
>>    Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign
>>    to promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement
>>    - a movement that relies on contributions beyond code.
>>    Adrienne G. Thompson
>>    Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph
>
> I agree here,  Mastodon does need content, it has that to a point as I subscribe to feeds from Sciencedaily for example,  but few people interact.  As far as I am aware people not exactly have long conversations on twitter either.
>
> There are several forums set up to facilitate discussions on how the fediverse can move forward, I am part of both.
>
> https://fediverse.town/
> https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/
>
> As a platform,  or set of  platforms they can't move forward unless people say what they want, and help promote.
>
> we need to perhaps coordinate efforts so a post from the fsf is boosted by the community,   for example.  but not over a period of wees but days or hours in some cases.
>
> I tend to avoid mastodon,  as there are more people on there who seem to be anti vaccination, anti science and racist, so it doesn't help me,
>
> Free software is just as much about the community of developers,  users,  creators etc as it is about the fsf,  who,among other things are trying to also enforce our licenses when they are infringed,  something individual users can't do easily.
>
> Paul

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP_signature --]

* Re: thank you elon musk
       [not found]   ` <ce45cd09-f6e3-d386-709d-06a3e36cdad9@disroot.org>
@ 2022-04-27  7:09     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-27  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sutton; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

* Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2022-04-27 09:38]:

> On 26/04/2022 20:38, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
> >     Hi Thomas:
> >
> >       If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
> >       they should never be trusted to anything right again.
> >
> >     Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign
> >     to promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement
> >     - a movement that relies on contributions beyond code.
> >     Adrienne G. Thompson
> >     Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph

Promoting Mastodon means promoting to users to install their own
instances and decentralize social network. Decentralized social
networks like Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfeed, PeerTube, Friendica,
Lemmy, WriteFreely, Funkwhale, Mobilizon, BookWyrm -- are all part of
it.

Join the Fediverse
https://joinfediverse.wiki/Main_Page

Don't promote single software, promote decentralized social networks.

> I agree here,  Mastodon does need content,

Then maybe you do not understand the difference between software and
the instance. Mastodon is just software, by itself it has no
"content". Interaction with users is what creates content. There are
many Mastodon instances of software installed, and it does not make
sense to say "Mastodon" needs content, not for me who knows that there
are so many people already participating every day.

> it has that to a point as I subscribe to feeds from Sciencedaily for
> example, but few people interact.  As far as I am aware people not
> exactly have long conversations on twitter either.

It may not be the same experience as on Twitter -- but still is far
far from saying that there is nothing on Mastodon. I have found
friends through decentralized networks, and one can interact for hours
and hours, discuss those issues not important at all like cuddling
with cats, or politics, or important other issues.

> As a platform, or set of platforms they can't move forward unless
> people say what they want, and help promote.

It is automatic. I see many instances running.

> I tend to avoid mastodon,  as there are more people on there who seem to be
> anti vaccination, anti science and racist, so it doesn't help me,

Again, "to avoid Mastodon" would mean you are avoiding specific
software installed on all instances. Does that mean you prefer
Friendica or Pleroma?

But that is not what you are talking about, you are talking about your
personal account on specific instance, which is unrelated to Mastodon
as software even if it runs such software. You are talking about your
choice of friends with whom you interact.

Mastodon as software has nothing related to people's opinions on
vaccination, science or racism.

You have got it wrong. Either you don't understand what is single
instance or you don't express yourself correctly.

Additionally, when you interact with people, they may be writing you
from quite different instance of software such as Pleroma, and you may
not know it.

> Free software is just as much about the community of developers,  users,
> creators etc as it is about the fsf,  who,among other things are trying to
> also enforce our licenses when they are infringed,  something individual
> users can't do easily.

Actually not, FSF may give advise on enforcement, but they may enforce
only those infringements that are related to FSF, where FSF have
copyrights, and not where other authors have copyrights.