On Thursday, September 26, 2019, Daniel Pocock <[1]daniel@pocock.pro> wrote: Hi everybody, I want to send a special thank you to those of you who have sent messages of support to victims of lynching and other hideously cruel behaviour in the free software community. Hi Daniel, I am also aware that there are some people who treat others in Software Libre with hatred, derision, and scorn. Speaking publicly about this is not just an embarrassment to them, *they actually get support for doing so*! There genuinely appears to be a perspective amongst a small group of people within the Software Libre Community that using their intellect to be spiteful, derisive and hateful of others is perfectly acceptable, disguised, often as it is, behind divisive and "acceptably" confrontational language. This hatred - and it is hatred - they are quite happy to spread to others, "warning" them to steer clear of the people who publicly highlight these same issues, making efforts to increase awareness of the effects that this ongoing hatred is having. In some communities, even those *with* a Code of Conduct, the Code is seen as only being applicable on an ad-hoc "convenience" (or, selective) basis. I have witnessed unbelievably spiteful attacks using language that clearly violates basic human dignity let alone any "Code".... *against people pointing out Code violations!* Yes, really: Person A reports a Code Violation by Person B, then Person C steps in and announces in no uncertain terms that Person A violated the same Code with their report, using such violent language that it is blindingly obvious that Person C committed *their own* Code Violation... ... *and nobody steps in to take them to task*! It is kafkaesque in its surreality. If this were Twitter or Facebook, at least it would be possible to hit "report", however we don't work that way. We don't allow ourselves to be subjugated by authority. It's therefore down to us to work this out. Now, I do have some ideas, however when raising them, there have been accusations of "tone policing". So instead I am going to ask what people think *would* help, here. What can be done to help people from all walks of life to work together, doing the things that they love? L. -- --- crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: [2]https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68 References 1. mailto:daniel@pocock.pro 2. https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68