* Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-01-27 22:27 Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-01-27 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

I wanted to watch videos from LP2017 recently, but noticed that
presentation slides were not captured. That's really sad, because in
most cases they contained important information and this made
recordings of many talks almost useless.
LP2018 is comming. It'd be really nice to have slides captured on the
video as well.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Skvortsov

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-01-28  1:00 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-01-28  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

We're working on that. In the meantime, some of the talks have slides linked from the descriptions. For the ones that don't, consider contacting the speaker to ask -- if they want to send us the slides, we can post them.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-01-28 11:03   ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-01-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On 18-01-27 17:00, John Sullivan wrote:
> We're working on that. In the meantime, some of the talks have
> slides linked from the descriptions. For the ones that don't,
> consider contacting the speaker to ask -- if they want to send us
> the slides, we can post them.

Thank you, John.
The best way would be to have both slides and their capture
on video. Usually it's not very convenient to switch between video
player and slides viewer.  And it will not help at all, if screencast
is show or some demo is demonstated during the talk.

--

@ 2018-01-28 18:14     ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-01-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On January 28, 2018 3:03:01 AM PST, Andrey Skvortsov <andrej.skvortzov@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 18-01-27 17:00, John Sullivan wrote:
>> We're working on that. In the meantime, some of the talks have
>> slides linked from the descriptions. For the ones that don't,
>> consider contacting the speaker to ask -- if they want to send us
>> the slides, we can post them.
>
>Thank you, John.
>The best way would be to have both slides and their capture
>on video. Usually it's not very convenient to switch between video
>player and slides viewer.  And it will not help at all, if screencast
>is show or some demo is demonstated during the talk.

Of course that's better, and we are working on it. Very few speakers have live demos, so in the meantime you can get 90% of the way there by flipping through the PDF in a window next to the video. No real switching required, keep the window focus on the PDF viewer and hit space as needed :)

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-01-28 19:07       ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-01-28 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On 18-01-28 10:14, John Sullivan wrote:
> On January 28, 2018 3:03:01 AM PST, Andrey Skvortsov <andrej.skvortzov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 18-01-27 17:00, John Sullivan wrote:
> >> We're working on that. In the meantime, some of the talks have
> >> slides linked from the descriptions. For the ones that don't,
> >> consider contacting the speaker to ask -- if they want to send us
> >> the slides, we can post them.
> >
> >Thank you, John.
> >The best way would be to have both slides and their capture
> >on video. Usually it's not very convenient to switch between video
> >player and slides viewer.  And it will not help at all, if screencast
> >is show or some demo is demonstated during the talk.
>
> Of course that's better, and we are working on it. Very few speakers
> have live demos, so in the meantime you can get 90% of the way there
> by flipping through the PDF in a window next to the video. No real
> switching required, keep the window focus on the PDF viewer and hit
> space as needed :)

True, if you are watching it on PC.
But it's pretty uncomfortable if you are watching video on smartphone.

--

@ 2018-01-28 21:41         ` Don Warner Saklad
From: Don Warner Saklad @ 2018-01-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss, Don Warner Saklad

In the future transmissions from LibrePlanet will be even more robust
with slides available simultaneously and features allowing viewers
around the world to interact with questions and comments during or at
the end of presentations.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-01-28 22:06           ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-01-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

For the questions, I don't think it needs much work, one could use of
IRC or even XMPP chatrooms --- either MUC (older) or MIX (newer) types
---, although IRC is more accessible. Then, someone in the room could
act as representative of the people who make questions in the room to
the speaker.

As for the live slides, a stream with perhaps 1fps for video would
perhaps do the trick. It of course would get tricky if the presentation
requires video not from the room recording. Depending on how capable the
recording method and equipment are, you might also have a resulting file
with two video streams in the same file, one for in-room camera (15fps
would be good) and other for slides (1fps).

2018-01-28T16:41:38-0500 Don Warner Saklad wrote:
> In the future transmissions from LibrePlanet will be even more robust
> with slides available simultaneously and features allowing viewers
> around the world to interact with questions and comments during or at
> the end of presentations.

- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
  instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
  Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
  GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
  (apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30  9:01         ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-03-30  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

On 18-01-28 22:07, Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> On 18-01-28 10:14, John Sullivan wrote:
> > >
> > >Thank you, John.
> > >The best way would be to have both slides and their capture
> > >on video. Usually it's not very convenient to switch between video
> > >player and slides viewer.  And it will not help at all, if screencast
> > >is show or some demo is demonstated during the talk.
> >
> > Of course that's better, and we are working on it.

It's very sad, that videos from LP18 don't capture slides.
I think that capturing slides is more important than capturing table,
cable management and even speaker. It doesn't bring much information
about topic for a viewer. For sure it's nice to have look at a speaker, but 20-30
seconds just before presentation and during Q&A at the end is enough, IMHO.

Slides contain important points of the talk. And make it easier for a
viewer to understand the topic speaker is talking about.

What about people that a not that good at understanding spoken
English yet, but can read easily? Capturing slides would help them a lot!

What about people watching LP stream? Slides are not available and
therefore it's sometimes hard to follow presentation.

If you want to capture slides and speaker at the same time and mix
them together, you may talk to Debian folk. They do very good job at DebConf.

> > Very few speakers
> > have live demos, so in the meantime you can get 90% of the way there
> > by flipping through the PDF in a window next to the video. No real
> > switching required, keep the window focus on the PDF viewer and hit
> > space as needed :)

True, if you are watching it on PC. But sometimes it's really hard to
find 40 minutes for just watching videos on PC.
If you watch video on the go smartphone/tablet, it's pretty
uncomfortable. If 40-minutes talk has 20 slides, you have to switch
between applications every two minutes. It's very inconvenient.

FSF is working hard to make information about Free Software, why not
make presentation from LP easier for viewers?

--

@ 2018-03-30 12:11   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

> We're working on that. In the meantime, some of the talks have slides
> linked from the descriptions. For the ones that don't, consider contacting
> the speaker to ask -- if they want to send us the slides, we can post them.

I just wrote an email to the author of this talk (LibrePlanet 2018)
https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/the-dark-side-of-free-software-communities/

I found his talk quite compelling and I couldn't attend the LibrePlanet as
I live on the opposite side of the world

I second the arguments that have been made here, though

Having the slides integrated would be better

Thanks !

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30 16:03           ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-03-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

I vote for keeping the current workflow: of putting slides in separate
files.

I have experienced an issue with slides-in-video once, were the
information was very important to my college work, but I couldn't get it
from the video without losing quality --- because the video was already
QVGA (320x240). Besides, I'm not a mobile device owner, but from when I
used to have one, I know that mobile media players allow you to put the
video fixed in the side of the device's screen and continue working with
other tasks, so: fix the video in the side, and have the .pdf open.

--

@ 2018-03-30 16:29             ` Andy Oram
From: Andy Oram @ 2018-03-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

If slides are meant to be free to share (under a CC ShareAlike license),
they should be posted in a source format, such as ODP. I assume that
showing slides in a video wouldn't permit sharing, although certainly it's
helpful to see a slide while the speaker describes it.

I lost patience myself last year--I was on a panel in 2017 and showed some
slides that LibrePlanet hasn't put up yet. I have to admit I finally
uploaded a PDF to Slideshare, which is not at all free. But I wanted to get
them out for viewing.

Andy

Andy Oram  |  Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.  |  617-499-7479 |  oreilly.com

[image: oreilly_email_logo.png] <http://oreilly.com/>

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira <
adfeno@hyperbola.info> wrote:

> I vote for keeping the current workflow: of putting slides in separate
> files.
>
> I have experienced an issue with slides-in-video once, were the
> information was very important to my college work, but I couldn't get it
> from the video without losing quality --- because the video was already
> QVGA (320x240). Besides, I'm not a mobile device owner, but from when I
> used to have one, I know that mobile media players allow you to put the
> video fixed in the side of the device's screen and continue working with
> other tasks, so: fix the video in the side, and have the .pdf open.
>
> --
> - https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
> - Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
>   gratis).
> - "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
>   instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
> - Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
> - Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
>   Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
> - Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
>   GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
>   (apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30 17:10               ` John Sullivan
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-30 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss, Andy Oram, Adonay Felipe Nogueira

I think ultimately, people want both overlaid and separate. We're working to improve the system each year, but have been focused on consistency and quality, which is challenging enough. There is probably also a way to take the PDFs and overlay them on the video, if anyone wants to volunteer :)

Hopefully people have links to source files in the PDFs. That could also be added to the video metadata, if, again, anyone wants to help. Our small and oversubscribed conference team won't be able to do these things this year. We do keep track of the ideas for the future, and we did make some slide gathering improvements this year.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30 17:44                 ` Pen-Yuan Hsing
From: Pen-Yuan Hsing @ 2018-03-30 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Thanks John for your and the entire team's efforts!

I am wondering: Have you and the other organisers considered depositing
all the editable slides and recordings on Archive.org or Wikimedia
Commons? They both sound like potentially good homes to me.

@ 2018-03-30 18:12               ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-03-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

> If slides are meant to be free to share (under a CC ShareAlike license),
> they should be posted in a source format, such as ODP. I assume that

Actually, CC BY-SA doesn't require source files, unless one explicitly
mentions that he's following the Definition of Free Cultural Works
([1][2]) --- by the way, this is the definition for "free/libre
culture", while the free/libre software movement follows a subset of it
in regards to non-functional data, more like "non-functional data
sharing culture", if you want to know more about the differences, I
suspect we might need to start a new topic.

Personal note: As an occasional maker of non-functional data, I do try
to make most of these data types as free/libre cultural works, although
for my personal enjoyment purposes --- reading, listening, viewing --- I
don't "consume" only free/libre cultural works, but I do consume
at-least-shareable ones.

[1] <https://freedomdefined.org/Definition>.

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30 19:17                 ` Bob Jonkman
From: Bob Jonkman @ 2018-03-30 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss, Adonay Felipe Nogueira

* Re: Videos from LibrePlanet
@ 2018-03-30 21:32                   ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-03-30 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

On 18-03-30 15:17, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> I understand completely. I've given some talks to local LUGs, Software
> Freedom Day, and the KW Linuxfest -- There's usually someone taking
> video from an audience point-of-view, I have my laptop cam pointing at
> me (the "nostrilcam"), and I capture my screen to show the slides or
> the demo I'm presenting. Often there's a separate soundtrack from the
> venue PA system. But it's an overwhelming amount of work to put these
> into a single video with picture-in-picture to show the stage and the
> screencap.   So I try to publish all the raw video as soon as possible
> on Archive.org, in the hopes that someone with more time and talent
> than me will do all the post-production to create a slick video.
>
> Looking forward to getting an integrated video from LibrePlanet, but I
> know how much work it is.

I completely agree, that merging and syncing several video and audio
streams is a lot of work! When we do talks at local meetings, we try
to avoid this and try to capture slides and speaker at the same shot
and if possible with external microphone for a good sound quality.
In this case we don't have to do any post-production.

I think the best case would be to capture speaker and slides in one
video stream and audio stream at the same time. So almost no
post-production is needed. But sometimes it's not possible because of
the venue.

If it's not possible to capture all in one video stream, then it maybe
possible to have two synchronous video streams: speaker and slides
(screencast or just another video capture) and audio track.
And just put them as is into media container without doing
much of post-production to avoid extra work. And everyone could select
video stream he wants. This shouldn't bring too much extra work to
organizers I think.

To have slides in PDF/ODF/TEX from speaker is always a good thing. But I see
that in a lot of cases speakers just forget to get organizers slides
afterwards and they are lost (see previous LP recordings).
Therefore I wouldn't rely on that and have at least captured slides on video.

Of course, thank all LP organizers for a lot of useful work!!!

--

@ 2018-03-31  4:29                     ` Bob Jonkman
From: Bob Jonkman @ 2018-03-31  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> When we do talks at local meetings, we try to avoid this and try to
> capture slides and speaker at the same shot and if possible with
> external microphone for a good sound quality.

And this is why I would have loved to see the demo screen for Spencer
Krum's presentation on "How to stream with free software"! As it was,
just listening and seeing Spencer didn't help me much, and I don't
think his demo screen was recorded.

Providing live mixing of speaker and slides adds to the complexity of
having a presentation; that level of sophistication really needs
someone to manage the A/V in addition to the presenter. And our LUGs
don't have the hardware to combine a screen capture from one laptop
and video from another source.  How can such a thing be done in
software? Perhaps a VNC screengrab plus a USB video source?

- --Bob.

On 2018-03-30 05:32 PM, Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18-03-30 15:17, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>> I understand completely. I've given some talks to local LUGs,
>> Software Freedom Day, and the KW Linuxfest -- There's usually
>> someone taking video from an audience point-of-view, I have my
>> laptop cam pointing at me (the "nostrilcam"), and I capture my
>> screen to show the slides or the demo I'm presenting. Often
>> there's a separate soundtrack from the venue PA system. But it's
>> an overwhelming amount of work to put these into a single video
>> with picture-in-picture to show the stage and the screencap.   So
>> I try to publish all the raw video as soon as possible on
>> Archive.org, in the hopes that someone with more time and talent
>> than me will do all the post-production to create a slick video.
>>
>> Looking forward to getting an integrated video from LibrePlanet,
>> but I know how much work it is.
>
> I completely agree, that merging and syncing several video and
> audio streams is a lot of work! When we do talks at local meetings,
> we try to avoid this and try to capture slides and speaker at the
> same shot and if possible with external microphone for a good sound
> quality. In this case we don't have to do any post-production.
>
> I think the best case would be to capture speaker and slides in
> one video stream and audio stream at the same time. So almost no
> post-production is needed. But sometimes it's not possible because
> of the venue.
>
> If it's not possible to capture all in one video stream, then it
> maybe possible to have two synchronous video streams: speaker and
> slides (screencast or just another video capture) and audio track.
> And just put them as is into media container without doing much of
> post-production to avoid extra work. And everyone could select
> video stream he wants. This shouldn't bring too much extra work to
> organizers I think.
>

> To have slides in PDF/ODF/TEX from speaker is always a good thing.
> But I see that in a lot of cases speakers just forget to get
> organizers slides afterwards and they are lost (see previous LP
> recordings). Therefore I wouldn't rely on that and have at least
> captured slides on video.
>
> Of course, thank all LP organizers for a lot of useful work!!!
>

>> On 2018-03-30 01:10 PM, John Sullivan wrote:
>>> I think ultimately, people want both overlaid and separate.
>>> We're working to improve the system each year, but have been
>>> focused on consistency and quality, which is challenging
>>> enough. There is probably also a way to take the PDFs and
>>> overlay them on the video, if anyone wants to volunteer :)
>>>
>>> Hopefully people have links to source files in the PDFs. That
>>> could also be added to the video metadata, if, again, anyone
>>> wants to help. Our small and oversubscribed conference team
>>> won't be able to do these things this year. We do keep track of
>>> the ideas for the future, and we did make some slide gathering
>>> improvements this year.

- --

@ 2018-03-31 10:59                 ` Andrey Skvortsov
From: Andrey Skvortsov @ 2018-03-31 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)