On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 3:08 PM Lori Nagel wrote: > On Monday, September 30, 2019, 2:44:49 PM EDT, Deb Nicholson < > deb@eximiousproductions.com> wrote: > > > On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:25 PM Danny Spitzberg > <[1]stationaery@gmail.com> wrote: > > I thought Bradley’s 2018 “state of the copyleft union“ talk at > LibrePlanet was a rare and important bit of positive > constructive criticism for free/libre software. > Sadly, it was met with mixed reactions from the audience- > including RMS > who apparently saw it as defeatist, because he yelled “We’re not > licked > yet!!” and then stormed the stage to give an impromptu rebuttal. > I don’t have much context for other contributions from Bradley, > but > that one talk was a breath of fresh air and levelheadedness. > (Bradly, do you know the whereabouts of that talk, the notes, or > dare I > imagine, the video?) > > > >>>I think the FSF chose not to make that one available. Danny, thank you > also for speaking in favor of constructive criticism. No movement can > survive an allergy to discussion -- especially the discussion of > problems and challenges -- such as all too sadly been happening on this > list lately. > The assumption that any discussion of tactics, or how the free software > movement might respond to changes in society or changes in the industry > is necessarily a smear campaign by Microsoft/Facebook/Etc has been > extremely tiresome. > Best, > Deb > > I found the talk easily on libre planet media. I thought it was a good > talk. > Oh great! It wasn't listed here https://libreplanet.org/2018/program/ (maybe that was just an oversight.) Thanks for sharing! > Bradly called for employees to stop being so afraid of their employers and > stand up and ask for the software written during employment to be made > copyleft under a free software license (like the gpl v3) Richard Stallman > was his usual self, but of course when Bradley mentioned Linux he really > just meant Linux the kernel. > > State of the copyleft union — GNU MediaGoblin > > > State of the copyleft union — GNU MediaGoblin > > > > > There wouldn't really be any reason to hide that video. People who may > not have joined the FSF or gone to Libre Planet could still benefit from it > if they care about free software and write software at work. > Also, maybe some people thought it was defeatist, or thought that maybe > copyleft was not necessarily the best tool to enforce software freedom. I > think the points made in this talk put an end more or less to that idea. > It was certainly not a lay down and bsd everything talk. > > >