* re: Exciting new changes for the LibrePlanet Wiki (Valessio Brito)
@ 2019-10-06  1:59 Arthur Torrey
From: Arthur Torrey @ 2019-10-06  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Nice job on the logo, and the first page of the site (I didn't poke further)  Thanks for the good efforts...

My biggest feeling about Wiki's is that they need HUGE improvement in the user interface for adding / editing content...  A person wanting to do something should not have to learn and wrestle with a bunch of arcane formatting labels and tags - Most of us have long left the days of WordStar, and don't really think TEK is a great way to write notes...

I am not a programmer, but see no reason why editing something in a Wiki should be any harder than using a modern WYSIWYG word processor like in LibreOffice or that other small orifice package... (or even most Forum software!)  Because it is such a pain, I avoid making any sort of input into Wiki's (knowing me that might not be such a bad thing?  ;-} )

ART

(PS - thanks for a topic that isn't related to the RMS mess!)

* Re: Exciting new changes for the LibrePlanet Wiki (Valessio Brito)
@ 2019-10-08  6:19 ` Federico Leva (Nemo)
From: Federico Leva (Nemo) @ 2019-10-08  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Torrey, libreplanet-discuss

Arthur Torrey, 06/10/19 04:59:
> I am not a programmer, but see no reason why editing something in a Wiki should be any harder than using a modern WYSIWYG word processor like in LibreOffice

The reason is simply that it took several years of work by a team of
multiple developers.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor

The LibrePlanet wiki is using a really bare-bones install of MediaWiki.
Nowadays the packaging is more extensive in Debian (and Ubuntu PPA) so
it should be possible to improve the user experience without much effort:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm/Packages

VisualEditor may be included in a future release.

Federico