Open-Source Virtual Reality ("OSVR") is a project working on an open standard, software and hardware for Virtual Reality, see https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=OdZ9fKw_DGw for their promotion video. In terms of Hardware OSVR already produced a working VR headset OSVR-HDK which license is incompatible with GPLv3[email forward from licensing@fsf.org] this discussion is about investigating the reasons for this decision and what we can do to liberate it. I believe that through liberating it the project can substentially increase it's networth while giving us a strong platform for VR which can be utilized in Free Hardware Designs projects such as relativty to ensure cross-platform compatibility and functionality thus this discussion should be about why they made the decision for non-free and what can be done about it. #1 Economical cost OSVR project partnered with Razer to produ ce the OSVR-HDK development kit for 199 USD so they are most likely in a net-loss. To work with somewhat realistic figure i estimated that the production cost loss should be at around 20K EUR/USD minimum so lets work with this figure. Q: What can we do on an GPLv3-compatible model to offset this economical loss? Q: How can we prove to OSVR and Razer that Free Software, Free Hardware Designs and Free Firmware are more economical? -------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: [gnu.org #1799743] Re: Is OSVR compatible with GPLv3 ? Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:36:03 -0500 From: Yoni Rabkin via RT Reply-To: licensing@fsf.org To: kreyren@rixotstudio.cz Hello and thank you for writing in. > Is this license compatible with GPLv3? > https://github.com/OSVR/OSVR-HDK/blob/master/LICENSE.md License review is a lengthy process which often involves legal counsel, so I cannot provide you with an official review of the OSVR license. How ever, a cursory look at the terms of the license indicate to me that it is not even a free software license, and therefore like any other proprietary license would surely be incompatible with any version of the GPL. For instance, section j.3 states that: "You agree and acknowledge that the MDK, Modules or Module Interface Technology available on the OSVR Project are solely for the purposes of the OSVR Project and Your personal use. Except as permitted in this Clause, you may not use, sell or distribute the MDK, Modules or Module Interface Technology nor the IPR contained therein for any purposes whatsoever, whether for commercial gain or otherwise. Any attempts to do so will automatically terminate this License." This section alone would make this a proprietary license which merely grants you a kind of limited permission to work on OSVR projects. There may be other reasons this license would be non-free and GPL-incompatible. With the caveats above, I hope this i s of help. -- I am not a lawyer, the above is not legal advice Regards, Yoni Rabkin The services of the GPL Compliance Lab are made possible by donations from people like you. Please consider supporting us today by becoming a member [https://my.fsf.org/join] or by making a donation [https://www.fsf.org/donate].