From: Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me>
To: Marc Sunet <msunet@shellblade.net>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: The beast is live - Github Copilot
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 08:50:46 +1000	[thread overview]

On Sun 2022-06-26 17:25:24 -0700, Marc Sunet wrote:

>> I feel that one difference between the values of free software and open
>> source is that the free software does not have a problem with taking
>> people's work and re-selling it, as long as the work being resold is
>> free.  Whereas open source focus more on what authors get out of "open
>> source".
>
> And in this case it is SaaSS. Not only is it trained on the existing
> code in the repositories, it also seems to siphon code off your editor
> as you type:
>
> https://github.com/features/copilot/#faq-privacy

Of course there are ways to make it not SaaSS or privacy invading, if
one is going to work on a free software version of copilot - all they
need to do is not replicate the antifeatures.

>> GitHub Copilot relies on file content and additional data to
>   work. It collects data both to provide the service and saves some of
>   the data to perform further analysis and enable improvements.
>
>> Depending on your preferred telemetry settings, GitHub Copilot may
>   also collect and retain the following, collectively referred to as
>   “code snippets”: source code that you are editing, related files and
>   other files open in the same IDE or editor, URLs of repositories and
>  files paths.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>