From: Mike Gerwitz <mtg@gnu.org>
To: joinlaw <joinlaw@cock.li>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Electron replacement?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 09:28:09 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 14:30:37 +0300, joinlaw wrote:
> is there any libre replacement for electron js which is removed from parabola repos,
> electron uses Chromium as it's rendering engine and node.js, electron is
> used by many free software projects such as jitsi meet desktop client,
> riot.im desktop client, and draw.io and many others.

This implies that Electron is non-free.  Is the concern over certain
unclear licensing practices of Chromium?  If so, can Chromium just be
built without those unclearly-licensed components?

For example:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00009.html

If there is no intentional malice with regards to licensing from
Electron, Chromium, or any other projects involved, then it seems more
appropriate to me to fix or work around the issue than it does to avoid
the projects entirely.  These are popular projects and it's in our best
interest to do our best to resolve the issues rather than sidestep them,
because they are not going away.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer