* exposure to lynchings in free software communities
@ 2019-09-20  8:01 Daniel Pocock
From: Daniel Pocock @ 2019-09-20  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Does anybody keep an index of all the lynchings in free software
communities?

Whether RMS did something wrong or not, the
trial-by-social-media-and-email process is abusive.  Such processes are
rigged against just outcomes in many ways.

These lynchings have many downsides that are not visible online.  See
some of my recent blogs[1] about exposure to bullying: anybody who
witnesses the lynching is weakened.  Just a few weeks after the Debian
Christmas lynchings, one contributor died, Lucy Wayland, age 46.  The
coroner hasn't reported the official cause of death so far, the
hearing[2] is on 25 September.  It is ironic that Debian's
announcement[3] about the death emphasises Wayland's commitment to
diversity when what we see today is people using diversity as an excuse
to silence people they can't relate to.

How did the community respond to blogs about abusive leadership?
Censoring my blog from various Planet sites.  Maybe this email will even
be censored, I BCC'd a few other users of the mailing list in the hope
that somebody will forward it if the original doesn't appear.

Why does RMS get lynched, but Chris Lamb and Molly de Blanc can't be
held to account for their conflicts of interest[4] when in leadership
positions?

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://danielpocock.com/codes-of-conduct-and-hypocrisy/
2.
https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/births-deaths-and-marriages/deaths/coroner-and-inquests/
3. https://www.debian.org/News/2019/20190308
4. https://danielpocock.com/mollamby-conflict-of-interest-privacy/

* Re: exposure to lynchings in free software communities
@ 2019-09-23 12:06 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2019-09-23 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Disagreement and discussion here is great. This particular message went
over the line and violates the list standards. Both because it accuses
people who disagree of murder, and because it's carrying on personal
grudges most of us have seen in many other places on the Internet for
years.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.

* Re: exposure to lynchings in free software communities
@ 2019-09-23 13:50 Robert Call
From: Robert Call @ 2019-09-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

> On Sep 23, 2019, at 8:07 AM, John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> wrote:
>
> Disagreement and discussion here is great. This particular message went
> over the line and violates the list standards. Both because it accuses
> people who disagree of murder, and because it's carrying on personal
> grudges most of us have seen in many other places on the Internet for
> years.

I have to disagree. Some of the claims being made do have some grain of truth. I would actually say that it does not go far enough. Things like these are stressful for everyone involved and it is not that far out to claim that it could cause or trigger health issues. Sadly, no one has brought up the conflict of interest between the OSI and the FSF. John, you hired Molly while she had some involvement with the OSI, did you not?

Censorship, language manipulation, virtue signaling  and downplaying claims without a coherent counterargument are all tools use to slander / bully people. I am appalled that so many in the community exhibit these regressive behaviors when they become uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation.

RMS did not deserve the treatment that he received with this debacle and I deeply regret not speaking out in the past when others in our community were being lynched by the holier-than-thou mob. I think that it is valid to want a list / index of people who were wrongly slandered and their professional careers destroyed.

Those who think they are on the “right side of history” should re-think how they are handling this[1]. While I don’t agree with a lot of what RMS says, I will fight against the slander and argue that the world is a better place because of the work that he has done.

[1] First they came...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

—
Robert Call(bob)
bob@bobcall.me

[...]

   [1]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

   —
   Robert Call(bob)
   bob@bobcall.me

References

@ 2019-09-23 15:54 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2019-09-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Call; +Cc: chris, libreplanet-discuss

Robert Call <bob@bobcall.me> writes:

>> On Sep 23, 2019, at 8:07 AM, John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Disagreement and discussion here is great. This particular message went
>> over the line and violates the list standards. Both because it accuses
>> people who disagree of murder, and because it's carrying on personal
>> grudges most of us have seen in many other places on the Internet for
>> years.
>
> I have to disagree. Some of the claims being made do have some grain
> of truth. I would actually say that it does not go far enough. Things

Most messages that violate list standards have some part of them that
does not violate list standards. That's not the issue; points need to be
made without personal attacks or other harmful things.

> Sadly, no one has brought up the conflict of interest between the OSI
> and the FSF. John, you hired Molly while she had some involvement with
> the OSI, did you not?

No.