* I removed the [libreplanet-discuss] tag from this list
@ 2019-09-25 16:56 Ian Kelling
From: Ian Kelling @ 2019-09-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Partly because we've had someone sending messages to people with the
tag, but they aren't actually list messages. As John Sullivan said, the
Return-Path email header is the most reliable way to see if a message is
from this list. The List-Id header is also convenient for
filtering. Hopefully this encourages people to look a little more
closely at the messages they get.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF

* Re: I removed the [libreplanet-discuss] tag from this list
@ 2019-09-25 20:54 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Kelling; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Ian Kelling <iank@fsf.org> wrote:
> Partly because we've had someone sending messages to people with the tag, but they aren't actually list messages.

So if ‘someone’ adds the footer, you would remove it too?  I would like to ask him a favour of doing that then. :-)

Besides general reasons [0], why mangling mail is bad and unsubscribing footers are bad, the current footer has its specific problem: 47 underscores is not a standard footer (also called ‘signature’) separator (which is ‘-- ’).  So unless a user configured his MUA to recognize it, he has to remove it from any quoted message, that lacks a footer of its own, manually.  Which, of course, also contributes something to a level of newbie-user-friendliness.

[0] <wodww2sk.321942@gmail.com>

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* email etiquette and self-care
@ 2019-09-26  0:09   ` Brendan Kidwell
From: Brendan Kidwell @ 2019-09-26  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mollamby via libreplanet-discuss

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019, at 16:54, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Ian Kelling <iank@fsf.org> wrote:
> > Partly because we've had someone sending messages to people with the tag, but they aren't actually list messages.
>
> So if ‘someone’ adds the footer, you would remove it too? I would like to ask him a favour of doing that then. :-)

'someone' added the footer, so you may thank him.

I emailed him expressing some support last week, and then I emailed him yesterday to please stop BCCing me on broadcast messages that don't directly address me -- I also told him I opted in to his own mailing list and his blog RSS feed. Now I got the fake List-Id messages today and spent 20 minutes fiddling with FastMail trying to come up with the right rules to find out how many such messages there are. (He sent 2, only today, as far as I know.) IMO, misleading email metada makes it difficult to be feel sympathetic about the sender's position.

Everyone: if you are uncomfortable with some of the fallout from this month's drama, 1) ask nicely for people to correct their behavior, where appropriate, if you feel comfortable doing it, and 2) consider blocking individual trouble sources in your email system, before you decide to unsubscribe or leave a whole organizations. Ask someone for technical help on this if you need it.

Also, filter all broadcast emails out of your Inbox, and only read them when the time is right. No one will mind if you disappear from the conversation for a few days or weeks.