* RYF can, and should, be improved
@ 2022-01-05  2:12 Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2022-01-05  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hello everyone.

I'm writing to libreplanet-discuss today, to discuss a topic that I
believe has not been discussed adequately, in recent years. I'll get
straight to it:

Some of you may know me as the founder and lead developer of Libreboot,
a project which provides free boot firmware, replacing the proprietary
BIOS/UEFI firmware on specific hardware. It is used heavily by the FSF;
they even run it on the servers which host fsf.org and gnu.org!

Libreboot is based on coreboot. The coreboot project distributes binary
blobs, which are required on most machines that it supports. Libreboot
removes those blobs, resulting in only a handful of machines being
supported, and efforts are made to support more machines in such a
state.

Until recently, Libreboot did not actually have a formal policy,
defining specific standards or objectives. It simply defaulted to the
FSF's own message.

I have now written a formal policy for the Libreboot project:

https://libreboot.org/news/policy.html

I have also written one for my parallel fork that I maintain, based on
Libreboot:

https://osboot.org/news/policy.html

Both articles talk about binary blobs from coreboot; the libreboot one
talks about blob deletion, and osboot talks about blob *reduction*. The
purpose of both projects, is to provide as much software freedom as
possible to users, within those policies. The ultimate goal: free
software everyone, available to everyone, without the injustice that is
proprietary software. The projects differ in their approach, but have
that some underlying goal.

I call for discussion of the topics presented in these articles. The
articles also discuss flaws with the FSF's "Respects Your Freedom"
program, and discusses ways to improve upon it, so as to encourage and
to facilitate more freedoms for computer users in the future.

Discussion welcome. Please, tell me your thoughts!

--
Think for yourself. Live free!

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

* Re: RYF can, and should, be improved
@ 2022-01-05  7:49 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-01-05  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

* Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2022-01-05 05:15]:
> I have now written a formal policy for the Libreboot project:
>
> https://libreboot.org/news/policy.html
>
> I have also written one for my parallel fork that I maintain, based on
> Libreboot:
>
> https://osboot.org/news/policy.html

On this following chapter about problems with RYF criteria, I am in
agreement. On the other hand your OSBoot policy is hypocrisy to
Libreboot policies. You are sitting on two chairs.

--
Thanks,
Jean Louis

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

* Re: RYF can, and should, be improved
@ 2022-01-05 22:40 ` Andrea Laisa
From: Andrea Laisa @ 2022-01-05 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leah Rowe, libreplanet-discuss

Hi!

I want to ask: what is exactly the (intel) microcode? Is a program? Is
it based in a turing-complete programming language or is a gate
configuration?

Do you think a multi-level RYF certification may be a solution?

Where can we put the line where non-free software is acceptable or not?

( https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-rocket.html )

amreo

@ 2022-01-06 12:40 ` Félicien Pillot
From: Félicien Pillot @ 2022-01-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss; +Cc: Leah Rowe

Wed, 5 Jan 2022 02:12:15 +0000,
Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:
> Discussion welcome. Please, tell me your thoughts!

Hi Leah, thank you for these deep explanations about things like
software/non-software blobs or microcode updates; it helps a lot to
understand the issues and your point of view.

IIUC, you say we should stop thinking in a binary way -- completely free
software compliant / completely non-{free software compliant} --
and rather as if there was a succession of steps towards total freedom,
without restricting our travel to any given "hardware-depth threshold".

I think I agree with you on this point, and I wonder what rms for
example would think about that.

However I'm not comfortable with this argument from
https://osboot.org/news/policy.html#configuration :
> It’s natural that the user may want to create a setup that is less
> free than the default one in osboot. This is perfectly acceptable;
> freedom is superior, and should be encouraged, but the user’s freedom
> to choose should also be respected, and accomodated.

Saying that, you go in the opposite way the FSDG does: it looks like
you're ok with distributing non-free software, just in case if the user
would like it better... I know we aren't talking about software, but
this distinction is not clear for everyone (including me). Anyway, the
word "accomodated" can be a source of debate.
--
Félicien Pillot
2C7C ACC0 FBDB ADBA E7BC  50D9 043C D143 6C87 9372

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signature digitale OpenPGP --]

* Re: RYF can, and should, be improved
@ 2022-01-06 12:56   ` Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-01-06 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2264 bytes --]

I argue to abolish the "hardware-depth threshold" so that RYF
certification requires the manufacturer to release the source code for
the hardware e.g. EDA files for KiCAD and Schematics under GPLv3 like
Creality Ender 3, because it's super flustrating that proprietary
developers that don't give a damn about free software and it's values
get endorsed by FSF.

On 1/6/22 13:40, Félicien Pillot wrote:
> Wed, 5 Jan 2022 02:12:15 +0000,
> Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:
>> Discussion welcome. Please, tell me your thoughts!
> Hi Leah, thank you for these deep explanations about things like
> software/non-software blobs or microcode updates; it helps a lot to
> understand the issues and your point of view.
>
> IIUC, you say we should stop thinking in a binary way -- completely free
> software compliant / completely non-{free software compliant} --
> and rather as if there was a succession of steps towards total freedom,
> without restricting our travel to any given "hardware-depth threshold".
>
> I think I agree with you on this point, and I wonder what rms for
> example would think about that.
>
> However I'm not comfortable with this argument from
> https://osboot.org/news/policy.html#configuration :
>> It’s natural that the user may want to create a setup that is less
>> free than the default one in osboot. This is perfectly acceptable;
>> freedom is superior, and should be encouraged, but the user’s freedom
>> to choose should also be respected, and accomodated.
> Saying that, you go in the opposite way the FSDG does: it looks like
> you're ok with distributing non-free software, just in case if the user
> would like it better... I know we aren't talking about software, but
> this distinction is not clear for everyone (including me). Anyway, the
> word "accomodated" can be a source of debate.
> --
> Félicien Pillot
> 2C7C ACC0 FBDB ADBA E7BC  50D9 043C D143 6C87 9372
> felicien@gnu.org - felicien.pillot@riseup.net

-- Jacob Hrbek

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: publickey - kreyren@rixotstudio.cz - 1677db82.asc --]

* Re: RYF can, and should, be improved