* please promote the TALOS libre workstation
       [not found] <b39232f4-7e49-137a-0d53-1315db513aec@gluglug.org.uk>
@ 2016-12-16  3:13 ` Leah Rowe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leah Rowe @ 2016-12-16  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: info, michael, libreplanet-discuss, rms, john, james,
	sean.gallagher, kyle, redaktion, koz.ross, publisher, info

Hi all,

TALOS uses the IBM POWER8 platform, which performance-wise is
equivalent to the latest server-grade Intel platforms. The difference:
it's *fully* free software, with free initialization firmware
("free/opensource BIOS" as some might call it), with fully Free
Software driver support in GNU+Linux distributions.

POWER8 CPUs are typically used in high-end servers sold by tyan,
supermicro etc. Raptor has squashed it down to workstation size (using
standard ATX form factor, which means the boards+CPU can be used with
any standard ATX case+PSU, with standard RAM modules).

For the first time in history, we are seeing an OEM manufacturing
hardware with Libreboot, a free boot program, and a fully free
GNU+Linux distribution, from the factory, by default. This has never
been done before, and if this project is successful, it will be a
major milestone for both the Free and Open Source software movements.
It will seriously boost the credibility of both concepts, because for
the first time there will be something people can actually buy from a
manufacturer, that meets these standards.

TALOS is going to come preinstalled with libreboot, which is a fully
free/opensource hardware initialization program ("BIOS replacement")
for setting up the hardware, and loading a bootloader which starts an
operating system. I'm the lead developer of libreboot and its founder,
and I've been working with Raptor for quite some time (since last
year). TALOS will also come with a version of GNU+Linux installed,
with fully free driver support in the kernel.

Raptor Engineering (the company behind TALOS) wants to sell it as a
workstation, for professional users and organisations, but also
individuals.

I ask that you all back their crowd funding campaign, if you haven't
already. The campaign is here:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workst
ation

This is an important project for the future of free, secure computing
which is trustworthy by users. Newer hardware from Intel and AMD is
becoming increasingly locked down, with signed firmware which takes
over different parts of what used to be handled by the Linux kernel.
Eventually, it might not even be possible to use a free operating
system (e.g. GNU+Linux) with x86 and other platforms, so it's very
important for the future of the Free Software movement as a whole that
this campaign succeeds.

This is beneficial to companies and organisations which need data
privacy, and security from outside intrusion. Modern Intel and AMD
processors are sold openly with backdoors and other security issues
these days. See:

https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel
https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd

Please help us make free, private and secure computing on high-end
hardware possible!

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.
https://libreboot.org/docs/distros/
Or BSD:
https://libreboot.org/docs/bsd/

Use a free BIOS.
https://libreboot.org/

Support computer user freedom.
https://peers.community/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/

* Minifree Libreboot D16 server/workstation launched
       [not found] <b39232f4-7e49-137a-0d53-1315db513aec@gluglug.org.uk>
@ 2016-12-30  6:48 ` Leah Rowe
       [not found] ` <f159b370-c398-aec8-30ef-d42da13e0eea@gluglug.org.uk>
From: Leah Rowe @ 2016-12-30  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john, rms, michael, sean.gallagher, koz.ross, james, info,
	libreplanet-discuss, redaktion, kyle, publisher, info, libreboot,
	pr, libreplanet-discuss, press, editors, pcwletters, ian,
	doctorow, fsuk-manchester, mailman

Hi all,

Minifree has launched a new freedom-friendly computer. Two, in fact. I
write to your organisations in request of press/publicity in the form
of online articles and so on.

Desktop/workstation version:
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-d16/

Server version:
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-d16-server/

This is a high-end AMD server platform, being sold in server and
extended ATX (desktop/workstation) form factor. It comes with Debian
and Libreboot preinstalled.

This is the first modern commercial system available today that can be
configured to run entirely free software; first Debian, the OS, and
then libreboot, a free/libre BIOS implementation. With Debian and
Libreboot, this is a fully free system containing zero binary blobs of
any kind.

This has positive implications for security in terms of audability,
and therefore privacy in general (no backdoors!). It's also free
software friendly, so there are zero binary blobs and zero proprietary
software running on it in the OS or BIOS. You have all of the four
freedoms over each part of the boot process, which means that you the
user are in full control.

For the first time ever, it is possible for companies to use
libreboot-enabled hardware.

The problem so far with Libreboot and Minifree is that it only
focussed on low-end hardware. The launch of the D16 Server and D16
Desktop changes that. With this hardware you can:

* do actual, serious work e.g. programming or 3D modeling. Software
development nowadays requires powerful computers, because software
becomes more complex. The sheer amount of time to build from source
can be a problem on its own. The D16 can support up to 16 fast AMD
Opteron cores per CPU, and 2 CPUs are possible so 32 cores in total.
This is ideal for software development.
* provide professional hosting services for paying clients, and run a
small ISP
* provide servers inside organisations
* play modern games (libre ones)
* etc (anything that requires a fast computer, basically)

Spread the word!

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.
https://libreboot.org/docs/distros/
Or BSD:
https://libreboot.org/docs/bsd/

Use a free BIOS.
https://libreboot.org/

Support computer user freedom.
https://peers.community/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/

* Re: Minifree Libreboot X220 libre laptop launched (pre-order)
       [not found]   ` <399AB471-A746-4F6F-AC8D-8E0F2331F26B@mes3hacklab.org>
@ 2017-02-17 10:02     ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2017-02-17 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico klez Culloca, libreplanet-discuss

Yes, when we ship it (it's on pre-order at present) it will use an
ath9k atheros chip instead of the default intel wifi. This way, wifi
will work on libre distros.

On 17/02/17 07:02, Federico klez Culloca wrote:
> [...]
> auditability, and therefore privacy in general (no backdoors!).
> It's also free software friendly, so there are zero binary blobs
> and zero proprietary software running on it in the OS or BIOS. You
> have all of the four freedoms over each part of the boot process,
> which means that you the user are in full control.
>
> For the first time ever, it is possible for companies to use
> libreboot-enabled hardware.
>
> The Libreboot X220 is an upgrade from the existing Libreboot X200
> that was sold previously. Here are just some of the improvements
> with the X22 0:
>
> * do actual, serious work e.g. programming or 3D modeling.
> Software development nowadays requires powerful computers, because
> software becomes more complex. The sheer amount of time to build
> from source can be a problem on its own. The D16 can support up to
> 16 fast AMD Opteron cores per CPU, and 2 CPUs are possible so 32
> cores in total. This is ideal for software development. * provide
> professional hosting services for paying clients, and run a small
> ISP * provide servers inside organisations * play modern games
> (libre ones) * etc (anything that requires a fast computer,
> basically)
>
> * Has a touchpad and trackpoint mouse pointer. The X200 only had
> the trackpoint
>
> * Higher battery life * SATA III support (6Gbps possible on SSD.
> The X200 can only do 3Gbps SATA II)
>
> * 2nd mSATA SSD possible in the 2nd mini PCI-E slot (mSATA drives
> not yet sold by Minifree)
>
> * much faster CPU (core i5/i7 on X220, core 2 duo on X200) *per
> CPU core*, and has more CPU cores (X220 is quad-core, vs X200 which
> is dual-core). This makes serious professional software
> development possible, aswell as enabling all kinds of other high
> performance use case scenarios which previously the libre software
> community had fallen short on.
>
> * LED backlit panel instead of CCFL (X200 uses CCFL). LED is more
> reliable (lasts longer without dimming over time). Better
> colour/contrast compared to X200. Brighter backlight. much faster
> video performance (Intel HD 3000 on X220, vs Intel GMA 4500MHD on
> X200) higher screen resolution (1366×768 on X220, vs 1280×800 on
> X200) * DisplayPort digital video output built in (X200 only has
> VGA) supports more RAM (up to 16GiB, versus X200 which only
> supports 8GiB) current hardware. Moores law has slowed down in
> recent years; the X220 is roughly on par with performance standards
> for even the most demanding of software developers. The X220 is a
> popular laptop for hackers and professional users alike
>
> * larger ESC key
>
> * better CPU cooling (and more power-efficient CPU)
>
> * USB 3.0 possible (with the Core i7 model. NOTE: untested)
>
> * Better webcam (720p HD with a decent microphone, compared to
> X200 which has low resolution webcam) – NOTE: not all X220 laptops
> from Minifree have webcams. If you want it, tell us and we’ll make

- --

@ 2017-02-17 11:07   ` Harry Prevor
From: Harry Prevor @ 2017-02-17 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 02/16/2017 01:52 PM, Leah Rowe wrote:
 > Minifree has launched a new freedom-friendly laptop, with the free and
 > open source Libreboot BIOS replacement, and Debian GNU+Linux
 > preinstalled. This is the first modern laptop available with entirely
 > libre software at every level, with no backdoors or rootkits like with
 > the larger companies, and it's available on pre-order today.
 > [snip]
 > Here it is (more information is on the page):
 > https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x220/

When I saw the title of this post I was very excited, but since reading
the nonchalant wording of the product description on the URL (which you
curiously omitted from the announcement email) I'm now quite concerned.

The problem with this preorder is that there is no guarantee of freedom
and it seems likely that various compromises will be made that
compromise the freedom of the laptop and would therefore not qualify it
for RYF certification.

A lot of people, myself included, would only want to pre-order this
laptop if it was guaranteed that the Intel Management Engine would be
fully disabled -- my understanding is that has been the #1 blocker for
post-2009 Intel laptops for years now. However the website says, "If we
fail in the above, then we will ship the X220 with a neutralized ME",
telling me that the project is OK with shipping proprietary software if
it is convenient to do so. If this compromise is made, I do not think
this laptop should qualify for RYF certification.

I am not sure what the FSF's stance is on whether CPU microcode updates
are considered firmware, but obviously it would be ideal to have a
guarantee of the removal of those as well, which is also not provided in
the product description.

As such, if no progress is made in these two regards, which the preorder
page leaves open as a possibility, I think it would be defrauding all
the users who preordered expecting an RYF-certified laptop.

--
Harry Prevor
http://habs.sdf.org/

* Re: Minifree Libreboot X220 libre laptop launched (pre-order)
@ 2017-02-17 11:24     ` Harry Prevor
From: Harry Prevor @ 2017-02-17 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

@ 2017-02-17 12:41   ` Harry Prevor
From: Harry Prevor @ 2017-02-17 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

(Apologies for the double post, if there was one.)

On 02/16/2017 01:52 PM, Leah Rowe wrote:
> Minifree has launched a new freedom-friendly laptop, with the free and
> open source Libreboot BIOS replacement, and Debian GNU+Linux
> preinstalled. This is the first modern laptop available with entirely
> libre software at every level, with no backdoors or rootkits like with
> the larger companies, and it's available on pre-order today.
> [...snip...]
> Here it is (more information is on the page):
> https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x220/

When I saw the title of this post I was very excited, but since reading
the nonchalant wording of the product description on the URL (which you
curiously omitted from the announcement email) I'm now quite concerned.

The problem with this preorder is that there is no guarantee of freedom
and it seems likely that various compromises will be made that
compromise the freedom of the laptop and would therefore not qualify it
for RYF certification.

A lot of people, myself included, would only want to pre-order this
laptop if it was guaranteed that the Intel Management Engine would be
fully disabled -- my understanding is that has been the #1 blocker for
post-2009 Intel laptops for years now. However the website says, "If we
fail in the above, then we will ship the X220 with a neutralized ME",
telling me that the project is OK with shipping proprietary software if
it is convenient to do so. If this compromise is made, I do not think
this laptop should qualify for RYF certification.

I am not sure what the FSF's stance is on whether CPU microcode updates
are considered firmware, but obviously it would be ideal to have a
guarantee of the removal of those as well, which is also not provided in
the product description.

As such, if no progress is made in these two regards, which the preorder
page leaves open as a possibility, I think it would be defrauding all
the users who preordered expecting an RYF-certified laptop.

---
Harry Prevor

* Call for reviews: Libreboot X200 Tablet on Minifree (FSF RYF pending)
       [not found] <b39232f4-7e49-137a-0d53-1315db513aec@gluglug.org.uk>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <f159b370-c398-aec8-30ef-d42da13e0eea@gluglug.org.uk>
@ 2018-04-30 13:34 ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-04-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mike Saunders, pr, sean.gallagher, pcwletters, redaktion, kyle,
	fsuk-manchester, info, ian, e.baerwaldt, wdpr, publisher,
	webmaster, bryan, libreplanet-discuss, editors, james, doctorow,
	ryf, admin, john, ThisHosting.Rocks!, michael, info, info, press

Hi everyone

I'm CC'ing all of you at once since it's more efficient that way.

I have a new system with GNU+Linux and Libreboot (free BIOS)
preinstalled which I'd like you all to review.

Firstly, some backstory:
Libreboot is a completely free (as in freedom) BIOS/UEFI replacement,
providing hardware initialization to boot an operating system. It's
available on several laptops, desktops and servers for x86 and ARM.
Libreboot is based on another project called coreboot. Libreboot is
endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.

Minifree is a company that sells Libreboot preinstalled on computer
systems, alongside Trisquel GNU+Linux which is a special distribution
endorsed by the Free Software Foundation (and used by Richard Stallman)

FSF RYF refers to the Free Software Foundation's "Respects Your
Freedom" certification, which certifies that products run on entirely
Free Software and contain no backdoors or anything like that. Here is
their page:
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

Minifree's products are already endorsed here, except one:

Recently, Minifree has launched a new product, the Libreboot X200
Tablet. This is a special version of the Libreboot X200, with an IPS
screen and a built-in wacom tablet for drawing. A sample of this has
been sent to the Free Software Foundation for RYF evaluation. The FSF
already endorses the non-tablet version of the X200 from Minifree.
Although FSF itself will reach out to media organisations when they
issue a press release (once the RYF evaluation process is completed),
I myself decided today to do my own outreach as well, hence my email
to all of you.

In John Sullivan's own words, in an email to me recently, the FSF
"doesn't anticipate any problems". So, very soon, an announcement will
be made by the FSF announcing their endorsement of these systems.

There's no need for me to repeat product info in an email, so the
product itself is here if you want to have a look:
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200-tablet/

This is a completely free/libre system. Its primary target audience is
hardened free software activists and supporters who believe in free
software (the type of people who are fans of Richard Stallman). Its
secondary target audience is people who, even if they may not quite
believe in free software, nonetheless want a system that they know is
secure and free of backdoors, one that can be used by people who
especially need data security, on a system that they know they can trust
.

I call for reviews of this product. If any of you can write or say
something about it, I'd greatly appreciate that.

I'm also happy to send hardware samples.

~Leah

* minifree.org is blocked from access by CDN’s  nonfree software
@ 2018-05-01 20:14   ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2018-05-01 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Leah Rowe <info@gluglug.org.uk> wrote:
> I have a new system with GNU+Linux and Libreboot (free BIOS)
> preinstalled which I'd like you all to review.

> There's no need for me to repeat product info in an email, so the
> product itself is here if you want to have a look:
> https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200-tablet/

Dear Leah,

these are wonderful news, yet while trying to explore them, I discovered unpleasant info instead:

| minifree.org
|
| is protected by Imunify360
|
| We have noticed an unusual activity from your IP 213.87.160.73 and
| blocked access to this website.

N. B.  I even was not connected via TOR, just tried to came here from mobile.

| Please confirm that you are not a robot

and *no* any visible CAPTCHA.

Lists of hosts, that tries to push programs to my browser and run them there suggests me, that there should be Google’s reCAPTCHA — a piece of *nonfree* software.

This is quite unhappy, that even minifree.org was not managed to avoid that cancer of the today’s Web.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: minifree.org is blocked from access by CDN’s nonfree software
@ 2018-05-01 20:47     ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-05-01 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

This is the fault of my hosting provider, which has imposed this on
me. I've complained about it to them, asking them to get rid of it.
Alas, I will very likely be changing to a new hosting provider (or
I'll self-host minifree.org) as soon as possible.

On 01/05/18 21:14, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Leah Rowe <info@gluglug.org.uk> wrote:
>> I have a new system with GNU+Linux and Libreboot (free BIOS)
>> preinstalled which I'd like you all to review.

>> There's no need for me to repeat product info in an email, so
>> the product itself is here if you want to have a look:
>> https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200-tablet/
>
> Dear Leah,
>
> these are wonderful news, yet while trying to explore them, I
> discovered unpleasant info instead:
>
> | minifree.org | | is protected by Imunify360 | | We have noticed
> an unusual activity from your IP 213.87.160.73 and | blocked access
> to this website.
>
> N. B.  I even was not connected via TOR, just tried to came here
> from mobile.
>
> | Please confirm that you are not a robot
>
> and *no* any visible CAPTCHA.
>
> Lists of hosts, that tries to push programs to my browser and run
> them there suggests me, that there should be Google’s reCAPTCHA — a
> piece of *nonfree* software.
>
> This is quite unhappy, that even minifree.org was not managed to
> avoid that cancer of the today’s Web.

- --
Leah Rowe

Please help me fund my Gender Reassignment Surgery!
https://vimuser.org/surgery/

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

https://sfconservancy.org/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

@ 2018-05-01 20:53       ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-05-01 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Actually, I reconsidered, and came to this conclusion:
The fact that my hosting provider is capable of such absurdity, I have
now decided to move minifree.org hosting to my own server as soon as
possible, regardless of whether they honour my request.