* The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
@ 2019-06-07 19:14 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2019-06-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

What do folks around here consider to be
the most appreciable URL Shortener?...

* Re: The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
@ 2019-06-10 12:07 ` Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo @ 2019-06-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 03:14:09PM -0400, Don Saklad wrote:
> What do folks around here consider to be
> the most appreciable URL Shortener?...

None! Why would you even consider using one for? If it's not for print
and memorable, I see no use for one at all. And if you are really going
to print it and want it to be memorable, it should rather be one under
your control, so let's hope you already picked a memorable domain, now
let's put your software freedom to use and make your CMS allow you to
create a memorable URL.

Sorry, but "Twitter restricts me to 140 characters" doesn't cut it. Just
put markup language to use and <a
href="https://domain.com/my-url-could-be-as-long-as-I-like">click
here</a>.

The only good excuse I ever had for a URL shortener is a choice of
technology combination or misuse, like one is browsing on a desktop and
want to send a message using a mobile containing something they just
browsed. There should not be any restrictions on using the desktop
itself to share that URL with someone, or even yourself on your mobile.
There is where I find the problem.

Please, please, give me a very good reason to use a URL shortener at
all. I am very likely missing something.

Cascardo.

* Re: The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
@ 2019-06-11  0:24   ` J.B. Nicholson
From: J.B. Nicholson @ 2019-06-11  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> The only good excuse I ever had for a URL shortener is a choice of
> technology combination or misuse, like one is browsing on a desktop and
> want to send a message using a mobile containing something they just
> browsed.

I quite agree with the objection to URL shorteners including pointing out
how technically unnecessary they are.

There's one other instance where it might make no difference to use one,
however: if the resource being pointed to also hosts the short URL. For
example, RT.com news stories each have a short URL. It makes no sense to me
why they have the long URL in the first place, but that's how that site
works. I believe Atlassian wiki instances also give each article a long
title-based URL (which users see by default) and a short permalink.

In both of these cases there's no spying risk beyond visiting the site (and
link tracking is another reason people use URL shorteners; it's an
unjustifiable reason).

* Re: The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
@ 2019-06-11  1:08     ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2019-06-11  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss

An interesting take on URL shortening