* What does the tech setup look like in your grade school?
@ 2016-10-12 23:18 Aaron E-J
From: Aaron E-J @ 2016-10-12 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: libreplanet-discuss, tech-coop

I am developing a ready-out-of the-box, open source virtual remote
desktop platform and would like to investigate its deployment in school
systems.  My assumption is that most schools are using proprietary
technologies (Mac/PC) for the most part and that a switch to Linux based
platforms would bring cost savings.  However, I know very little about
the current technology setups in schools near me – let alone schools
elsewhere in the U.S. (where I'm based) or the world.  I would like to
hear from people who have kids, what does their school technology setup
look like?

Thanks!

--
Aaron E-J
http://otherrealm.org

* Re: What does the tech setup look like in your grade school?
@ 2016-10-13  4:41 ` Felix Posselt
From: Felix Posselt @ 2016-10-13  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aaron E-J, libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org,
	tech-coop@npogroups.org

Well, not my kids, but my very own school looks like this:All Mircosoft Windows PCs, all "upgraded" to Windows 10.They all have free software solutions pre-installed, like Libre-Office, but those are only used by me.The Computer have the tendency to be very slow even though, they have good CPUs and turn themself off for no reason whatsoever, but what else is to expected by a Windows.The schools i have went to before had all Microsoft Windows, ranging from Windows XP to Windows 7, and of course they were also very slow.They however didn't even have Libre-Office, but I didnt bother back in the day, because I didn't even know, what free software was. Had to teach this myself years later.The Lessons are tailored for Microsoftprogramms, all but me are using Microsoft Office.
I'm from germany and i am pretty sure, that every average school here looks like this.
Greetings

  I am developing a ready-out-of the-box, open source virtual remote desktop platform and would like to investigate its deployment in school systems.  My assumption is that most schools are using proprietary technologies (Mac/PC) for the most part and that a switch to Linux based platforms would bring cost savings.  However, I know very little about the current technology setups in schools near me – let alone schools elsewhere in the U.S. (where I'm based) or the world.  I would like to hear from people who have kids, what does their school technology setup look like? Thanks! <!--#yiv4787085772 _filtered #yiv4787085772 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv4787085772 #yiv4787085772 p.yiv4787085772MsoNormal, #yiv4787085772 li.yiv4787085772MsoNormal, #yiv4787085772 div.yiv4787085772MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman", "serif";}#yiv4787085772 .yiv4787085772MsoChpDefault {font-size:12.0pt;} _filtered #yiv4787085772 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv4787085772 div.yiv4787085772WordSection1 {}--> --

@ 2016-10-14  6:15 ` amunizp
From: amunizp @ 2016-10-14  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aaron E-J, libreplanet-discuss, tech-coop

El 13 de octubre de 2016 00:18:37 GMT+01:00, Aaron E-J <the@otherrealm.org> escribió:
>I am developing a ready-out-of the-box, open source virtual remote
>desktop platform and would like to investigate its deployment in school
>systems.  My assumption is that most schools are using proprietary
>technologies (Mac/PC) for the most part and that a switch to Linux
>based
>platforms would bring cost savings.  However, I know very little about
>the current technology setups in schools near me – let alone schools
>elsewhere in the U.S. (where I'm based) or the world.  I would like to
>hear from people who have kids, what does their school technology setup
>look like?
>
>Thanks!

Don't know what they have now but they are going for the very expensive and monopolistic smartboards.  A whiteboard/touchscreen. I am doing what I can to avoid it.
A quick search shows some hit and miss DIY replacements no profesional solution.
-- --
Andres (he/him/his)
Ham United Group
Richmond Makerlabs

* Re: What does the tech setup look like in your grade school?
@ 2016-10-14 13:49 jimgarrett001
From: jimgarrett001 @ 2016-10-14 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: amunizp, Aaron E-J, libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org,
	tech-coop

I think our local schools in Melrose, Massachusetts are primarily Windows, with some Chromebooks and iPads here and there for special purposes.

Many years ago I was chatting with a high school teacher at a GNU/Linux user's group meeting. He said, "If you put students in front of computers in the classroom, it doesn't matter what operating system it has. They're going to break it, and the teacher will spend all of his/her time fixing desktops. You need a remote desktop on central server." So the idea of a remote desktop for schools sounds great. The big competition there will be Chromebooks and Google apps.

Jim Garrett

@ 2016-10-14 15:26 ` Rudolf
From: Rudolf @ 2016-10-14 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jimgarrett001@gmail.com, amunizp, Aaron E-J,