* Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-07 22:04 Taiidan
From: Taiidan @ 2018-03-07 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

I wonder how much money it took for the FSF to finally sell out.

"Grassroots:
Purism, makers of fine free hardware"

https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors

Purism isn't free hardware, their computers use standard non-owner
controlled intel chipsets/cpus with a not actually disabled ME and all
the hardware initiation is performed by binary blobs.

Here is a post that explains it better than I can.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3anjgm/on_the_librem_laptop_purism_doesnt_believe_in/

Purism pretends it is impossible to make free hardware and claim that
they are doing the best they can, so let us contrast them to companies
like Raptor Computing Systems (TALOS 2) and Bunny Labs (Novena) who have
produced real owner controlled libre hardware.

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-08  3:12 ` Michael Downey
From: Michael Downey @ 2018-03-08  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiidan; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

That Reddit post is 2+ years old, FWIW. Here's the current status of their
project and their goal of getting RYF certification:
https://puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/

Michael

@ 2018-03-08 16:05 ` Stefan Nagy
From: Stefan Nagy @ 2018-03-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiidan; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Am 07.03.2018 23:04 schrieb Taiidan@gmx.com:
> "Grassroots:
> Purism, makers of fine free hardware"
>
> https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors
>
> Purism isn't free hardware, […]

You are right, they don't offer free hardware. Since I respect their
work
I wrote them an email and asked them to correct that.

It seems like they are willingly trying to unmake their reputation with
stupid misstatements like that. I don't get it…

--
E-Mails signieren & verschlüsseln · https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/de/

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-08 17:26   ` Stefan Nagy
From: Stefan Nagy @ 2018-03-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiidan; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Am 08.03.2018 17:05 schrieb Stefan Nagy:
> Am 07.03.2018 23:04 schrieb Taiidan@gmx.com:
>> "Grassroots:
>> Purism, makers of fine free hardware"
>>
>> https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors
>>
>> Purism isn't free hardware, […]
>
> You are right, they don't offer free hardware. Since I respect their
> work
> I wrote them an email and asked them to correct that.
>
> It seems like they are willingly trying to unmake their reputation with
> stupid misstatements like that. I don't get it…

It took Todd Weaver less than an hour to answer my email.

He says:
"Oh, joy. This is not out slogan, never has been […]. To be clear, we
are
a sponsor of LibrePlanet but we did not provide that tagline."

A copy of his email went to the FSF and it took them less than ten
minutes to change the tagline. The new tagline is: "Purism, makers of
high quality laptops" [1].

[1] see https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors/

--

@ 2018-03-08 23:33   ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-08 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Nagy; +Cc: Taiidan, libreplanet-discuss

Stefan Nagy <stefan.nagy@posteo.net> writes:

> Am 07.03.2018 23:04 schrieb Taiidan@gmx.com:
>> "Grassroots:
>> Purism, makers of fine free hardware"
>>
>> https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors
>>
>> Purism isn't free hardware, […]
>
> You are right, they don't offer free hardware. Since I respect their
> work
> I wrote them an email and asked them to correct that.
>
> It seems like they are willingly trying to unmake their reputation with
> stupid misstatements like that. I don't get it…

This was purely our mistake. Purism did not request that tagline (or any
tagline at all).

I apologize to Todd and the Purism crew, and to everyone for the
confusion. I'm sorry.

(We don't even currently certify free hardware -- only hardware that
works with and supports free software.)

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-09  0:16     ` Taiidan
From: Taiidan @ 2018-03-09  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan, Stefan Nagy; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On 03/08/2018 06:33 PM, John Sullivan wrote:

> Stefan Nagy <stefan.nagy@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Am 07.03.2018 23:04 schrieb Taiidan@gmx.com:
>>> "Grassroots:
>>> Purism, makers of fine free hardware"
>>>
>>> https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors
>>>
>>> Purism isn't free hardware, […]
>> You are right, they don't offer free hardware. Since I respect their
>> work
>> I wrote them an email and asked them to correct that.
>>
>> It seems like they are willingly trying to unmake their reputation with
>> stupid misstatements like that. I don't get it…
> This was purely our mistake. Purism did not request that tagline (or any
> tagline at all).
I am very surprised that there is someone at the FSF who is un-aware of
the situation.
Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air time on
the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately libre hardware
gets none.
"PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops and
now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.
> I apologize to Todd and the Purism crew, and to everyone for the
> confusion. I'm sorry.
Was it really the fault of the FSF?
In the past purism has for instance posted a minifree bashing image on
their twitter and then claimed it "wasn't an approved tweet"
https://web.archive.org/web/20150816183411/http://i0.wp.com/blogs.coreboot.org/files/2015/08/purism_attacks_minifree.png

> (We don't even currently certify free hardware -- only hardware that
> works with and supports free software.)
Since they have a booth at libreplanet will they be allowed to have
their false advertising or will all signs and literature be approved in
advance?

* Coreboot with blobbed hardware initiation is not "free firmware"
* The LibreM is not at all libre hardware (gotta change that name)
* ME_Cleaner/HAP bit do not disable ME at all, the kernel still runs and
can do as it pleases - if one fails to include the ME ROM the system
WILL power off after 30 minutes and if one physically disconnects the ME
processor from the system then the computer won't function - What purism
does doesn't avoid the hypothetical intel firmware backdoor at all as it
doesn't actually disable ME they are simply riding on the coat tails of
the security research community.
* New intel x86_64 does not "respect your privacy, freedom and security"

They need to apologize and they need to stop the dishonest advertising -
after that I will have no issue with them and I am sure people will
still buy their products if they are completely honest about them.

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-09  0:33       ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taiidan@gmx.com; +Cc: Stefan Nagy, libreplanet-discuss

"Taiidan@gmx.com" <Taiidan@gmx.com> writes:

> Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air time
> on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately libre
> hardware gets none.

> "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops and
> now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.

That is not an accurate description. PureOS is an endorsed distribution
because it has committed to upholding the Guidelines for Free System
Distribution. It made a number of important changes from Debian in order
to achieve that.

All or almost all of the currently endorsed distributions are based on
other nonendorsed distributions -- but the changes they make are
significant for user freedom.

>> I apologize to Todd and the Purism crew, and to everyone for the
>> confusion. I'm sorry.
> Was it really the fault of the FSF?

Yes.

@ 2018-03-09  0:35         ` Taiidan
From: Taiidan @ 2018-03-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan; +Cc: Stefan Nagy, libreplanet-discuss

I thank you for your time but you have not answered my other question
re: false advertising.

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-09  8:06         ` Henry Jensen
From: Henry Jensen @ 2018-03-09  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan; +Cc: Stefan Nagy, Taiidan@gmx.com, libreplanet-discuss

Am Fri, 09 Mar 2018 01:33:12 +0100
schrieb John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org>:

> "Taiidan@gmx.com" <Taiidan@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air
> > time on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately
> > libre hardware gets none.
>

> > "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops
> > and now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.
>
> That is not an accurate description. PureOS is an endorsed
> distribution because it has committed to upholding the Guidelines for
> Free System Distribution. It made a number of important changes from
> Debian in order to achieve that.

PureOS uses the same Linux kernel as Debian (i.e. not Linux-Libre),
which some people regard as a bug, because log messages like this
appear:

iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode

which indicates, that the kernel is looking for a non-free firmware
blob. By reading this message in the log file a user could learn about
it and be tempted to install this non-free software.

See also this thread:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2017-12/msg00004.html

It was suggested, that this issue "was missed" when endorsing PureOS,
which I can't hardly imagine, because the used kernel is usually the
first thing to look at when reviewing a distro.

Regards,

Henry

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-09 11:41           ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-09 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Jensen; +Cc: Stefan Nagy, Taiidan@gmx.com, libreplanet-discuss

Henry Jensen <hjensen@gmx.de> writes:

> Am Fri, 09 Mar 2018 01:33:12 +0100
> schrieb John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org>:
>
>> "Taiidan@gmx.com" <Taiidan@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>> > Again I still can't understand as to why purism gets so much air
>> > time on the FSF website and the tech news media yet legitimately
>> > libre hardware gets none.
>>

>> > "PureOS" is simply a debian clone used to peddle non-free laptops
>> > and now purism has obtained an implied endorsement from the FSF.
>>
>> That is not an accurate description. PureOS is an endorsed
>> distribution because it has committed to upholding the Guidelines for
>> Free System Distribution. It made a number of important changes from
>> Debian in order to achieve that.
>
> PureOS uses the same Linux kernel as Debian (i.e. not Linux-Libre),
> which some people regard as a bug, because log messages like this
> appear:
>
> iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
>
> which indicates, that the kernel is looking for a non-free firmware
> blob. By reading this message in the log file a user could learn about
> it and be tempted to install this non-free software.

Yes, we have been revisiting this question and will publish our analysis
soon on the mailing list you linked to..

(For everyone's understanding, the nonfree firmware is not present on
the system; it is an issue of potentially recommending/suggesting.)

@ 2018-03-09 12:40             ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-03-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

> (For everyone's understanding, the nonfree firmware is not present on
> the system; it is an issue of potentially recommending/suggesting.)

I'm not an active distro reviewer right now, but I imagine this would
happen, this is why I suggested changing the log message to something
indirect, or hide any pointers to hardware, and just display "Failed to
load firmware."

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* Re: Purism is not free hardware
@ 2018-03-27 22:07           ` Taiidan
From: Taiidan @ 2018-03-27 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss