From: "Adrien Bourmault (neox on freenode)" <neox@os-k.eu>
To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Matrix communication protocol.
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:20:54 +0200	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 7942 bytes --]

Matrix is a badly designed protocol (especially the s2s part) and is not
more modern than XMPP. In computer science, be young is not always a
quality for a protocol, and XMPP has proven many times it was evolutive
and reliable.

The XSF point of view is different from the Matrix/Vector one : the XSF
is a non profit foundation, in the tracks of IETF. They made a protocol
in the hope that it will be useful and that's it. You can't say the same
for Vector.

We shouldn't have that discussion since the company behind the Matrix
protocol advocates for non free software, and open source when they want
to be popular.

> If Conversations are the benchmark for how much behind XMPP is in
> capabilities that a modern user wants, then I don't know if it can be
> overcomed.

I can't understand what do you mean. Conversations is developed by a
very small team, practically one person, and you conclude that this app
that evolves permanently has already shown all that could be shown ?
Excuse me, but at this time there is no client for Matrix as functional
as Conversations (since non free software usage or advocacy is for me an
anti-feature worst than "lack of stickers") and XMPP server softwares
like Ejabberd or Prosody are way more reliable and powerful than Synapse
(which is subject to overconsumption I observed).

It is clear that you like Matrix very well, but your arguments are wrong
and subjective.

> In mobile at least there doesn't seem to be enough development outside
> of Conversations.

I can't agree. ChatSecure (for iOS) is a really active project and devs
of both Conversations and ChatSecure are always in touch, and are XSF
members. There are many forks of both, and it provides additionnal
choices for people.

On mobile, there is only one functionnal Matrix client : Element. And it
advocates for non free software, especially Google one.

> I know it is pretty popular with privacy folks though. So maybe it finds some use there.

Have you ever read RMS ? Or listen to him ? Everyone should care about
privacy, everyone should encrypt his communications. XMPP's modern
encryption (known as OMEMO) is way more secure than Olm/Megolm (because
it seems Vector thought that forward secrecy was an anti-feature lol).

Do you think the FSF should advocate for that? With all the problems
that Vector has, it would be a treason for people who trust the FSF.

I can understand you like Element because it has stickers and it is
beautiful. This is the same with other software that are unethical but
beautiful. Free software is about freedom, not popularity