On 22/05/16 06:10PM, Yasuaki Kudo wrote: > Oh this is quite simple - When someone installs a Guix OS, there is a > high chance that vital components of the computer won't work (unless > "work" includes severely hampered performance) > > And the chances are, all one needs to do to obtain the hardware > manufacture's native performance is do is to use the regular Linux > kernel package, with none the "de-blobbing" of LinuxLibre. (Aside > from asking the manufacturer to provide the Free Software-based > compilation mechanism for the required BLOB, something that may take > many years, or forever) This is really the job of nonguix, and their mailing lists if any (I don't personally use nonguix so I can't tell). Note that "regular Linux" in theory doesn't contain nonfree software either- the nonfree software has been moved to linux-firmware. Do note that nonfree firmware or other nonfree code linked again Linux or specifically designed to work with Linux is a violation of Linux's license, GNU GPL version 2 (only). > To use the regular Linux, all that's needed is to tweak the > configuration of the Guix system. When people new to the system post > questions along this line, on the Guix Help mailing list, the typical > response is either via a direct personal email or some suggestions, > short of the direct answer. No, it isn't, you'd also need linux-firmware as explained. > When, out of frustration, one directly answers, he is greeted with > notices around this being a GNU mailing list and such matters are not > to be discussed. I do believe that the GNU Guix mailing list should be oriented towards the Guix system itself and not compatibility with nonfree hardware, though that may be a goal of people introducing users so that they would eventually fully free systems. Nonguix is such a community. > The contradiction I see is that: > * Emacs runs on Windows. Instructions and reasons are stated clearly > (as you quoted) Which I am indeed questioning why it is handled by GNU, too. > * Guix OS technically runs on Linux (not just LibreLinux). However, > it is not "advertised" (the verb seemingly preferred by the community) > and even the discussion thereof is shunned. (1) it's called linux-libre (2) no linux-firmware -> free -- Andrew Yu https://www.anrewyu.org/ Free Computing, not just Free Software!