On 22/01/10 06:56PM, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss wrote: > Hi Andrew > > Firstly, thank you for your well researched and referenced e-mail. I can't > answer all these, I can try and answer some points. Wasn't well-researched lol, I wrote it down with pencil and paper late at night. > > "Why aren't we doing a great job convincing users to switch to > > free software as a replacement to the proprietary software they use?" > > In terms of using for example MS office over Libreoffice, I am running a > STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Maths) event at my local library, > the person who I am running this with likes MS office because she says it is > better, has better features, looks more professional etc, this is because it > has millions of dollars invested in it. > > I use libreoffice because as it runs on Debian and I am not prepared to pay > £100's for a office package when I can get one, that while not a programmer > i can at least contact developers and report problems. LibreOffice would be > perfectly usable for a small business. Funding has always been an issue with free software. If people can get it for gratis, non only the people who can't afford paying (which includes a student like me, sadly) won't pay, the others who can afford it are just too lazy to donate. It's probably worse in China: donations aren't in the culture. > Another issue is that many businesses use MS office, therefore training is > provided by colleges etc in MS office, the result is you haver a trained > workforce that can use what a business uses and therefore demands. If a > business wanted to switch to libreoffice the software may be free but the > cost of actually moving over may not be. Yeah. OnlyOffice is a project that mimics the look and feel of Microsoft Office, has online collaboration through a document server with optional Nextcloud support. > People also rely now the fact office 365 is more web / cloud integrated. > LibreOffice can be linked to Nextcloud, but it is not natively integrated. > I think there is https://www.collaboraoffice.com/ this has integrations, but > LibreOffice is not listed by the looks of it. CollaboraOffice has something to do with LibreOffice, I remember. I can't say much about office suites because I don't use them, not even the free ones because I use Groff and TeX. > So you need to factor this in, people can login to their MS account from > anywhere and just keep working, like you can do with Cryptpad or overleaf > etc. I actually use Git for collaboration in editing, seems more robust than any other alternative to me. For home use, I put up a FreeBSD ZFS NFS with three 8 TB disks (never gonna use that much), but I do suspect normal users won't be able to do so. > The modern world is more mobile, we are not sitting at the same desk every > day using the same computer, we may use laptop, tablets, phones etc to do > our work, we can leave our desk, grab a coffee in the work canteen and > keep working, we can attend meetings in person / remotely and everything is > just designed to work. > > Offerings for devices such as the various open source phones appears to be, > for me, confusing, > > https://joinmastodon.org/apps > > So from that, can I buy a pinephone and run a mastodon client on it, ? Add > to this, there is fairphone and a host of other free software operating > systems, some are based on Android others not. Only 1 app for something > called sailfishOS. No idea with phones, I generally don't use them unless if it's school stuff. I have multiple computers that I use, the main one is my Raspberry Pi (surprise), decent enough in performance for me to hook it up to a 4K screen and a decent Ergodox to use. Emacs is slightly sluggish, but I use Vim on slower computers so no worries for me. I add, commit and push to my main repo for everything I'm working on (even for school essays, teachers want PDFs or TXT so I typeset them in XeLaTeX, the source is plain text so I can git them well). It's really easy to set up a script to do that automatically on the close_write event of a file (inotifywait -e close_write file.tex && git-cycle), but I do know normal users can't do that. There should be commit-listener GUI apps out there. > I think your classmates make a good point, they need certain applications, > and therefore are tied in to the non free software / devices they have. > > We need to break that cycle, perhaps one way is to take people who are > already using free software and use their examples of how it is used in the > real world how a business or school can run on free software. Sadly that's rare. > BTW are you in China or the US? Shanghai, China. Sincerely, Andrew :P