* well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-18  0:35 Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Yeah, I just learned that RMS has resigned from the FSF.

Way to go people.

You took the bait from enemies - enemies who wish to crush us and end
the existence of free software.

What kind of precedent does this set? This is only going to empower our
enemies and make them believe they can be even more aggressive against
us.

I'm very saddened by this news. I'm not a fan of RMS the human -
personally I'm ambivelent to the man himself - but he is the reason
this entire fucking movement exists, and he does excellent work
preaching around the world, at universities and conferences all over
the place. He's the reason I got into free software! Without him, my
project, libreboot, wouldn't exist.

Without him, the Linux kernel wouldn't exist.

Instead of responding in solidarity, you all allowed yourselves to be
manipulated by a *blatant* smear campaign that took *one* post from him
out of context.

It deeply saddens me that people can't spend 5 minutes doing some
research about things they read in the news. I thought we were better
than the usual dumb ignorant masses. Guess I was wrong.

This is all I want to say. I'm done.

I'll leave this final assertion:

The recent bullshit has made me renew my FSF membership, out of
support. Everyone should do the same!

--
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

* Re: well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-20 13:11 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:
> Instead of responding in solidarity, you all allowed yourselves to be manipulated by a *blatant* smear campaign that took *one* post from him out of context.

> The recent bullshit has made me renew my FSF membership, out of support. Everyone should do the same!

I’m deeply afraid, that joining FSF out of support _now_ will be understood the other way round — as a sign of support of Dr. Stallman’s dismissal.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-20 13:21   ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: Leah Rowe, libreplanet-discuss

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:13 AM Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
> wrote:
> > Instead of responding in solidarity, you all allowed yourselves to be
> manipulated by a *blatant* smear campaign that took *one* post from him out
> of context.
>
> > The recent bullshit has made me renew my FSF membership, out of support.
> Everyone should do the same!
>
> I’m deeply afraid, that joining FSF out of support _now_ will be
> understood the other way round — as a sign of support of Dr. Stallman’s
> dismissal.

No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership - not
renew it!

We need to formulate a plan, a show of solidarity, addressing the FSF board
with a demand for rms' reinstatement. Let's hear some ideas. RiseUp!!

Adrienne
--
Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!

GNU C-Graph - http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
Code Art Now - http://codeartnow.com
Abertheid Campaign - http://www.abertheid.info
Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

     <[2]libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:
     > Instead of responding in solidarity, you all allowed yourselves to
     be manipulated by a *blatant* smear campaign that took *one* post
     from him out of context.
     > The recent bullshit has made me renew my FSF membership, out of
     support. Everyone should do the same!
     I’m deeply afraid, that joining FSF out of support _now_ will be
     understood the other way round — as a sign of support of Dr.
     Stallman’s dismissal.

   No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership -
   not renew it!
   We need to formulate a plan, a show of solidarity, addressing the FSF
   board with a demand for rms' reinstatement. Let's hear some ideas.
   RiseUp!!
   Adrienne
   --
   Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!
   GNU C-Graph - [3]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [4]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [5]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

References

   1. mailto:321942@gmail.com
   2. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   3. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   4. http://codeartnow.com/
   5. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-20 15:46   ` Michael Downey
From: Michael Downey @ 2019-09-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On September 20, 2019 9:11:34 AM EDT, Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dr. Stallman’s
>dismissal.

He's not a doctor.

* Re: well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-21  2:51   ` Caleb Herbert
From: Caleb Herbert @ 2019-09-21  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 09/20/2019 08:11 AM, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:> I’m deeply afraid,
that joining FSF out of support _now_ will be understood the other way
round — as a sign of support of Dr. Stallman’s dismissal.
Stallman told me I can best help by becoming a member and being diligent
about making sure they continue to do what they did when Stallman was
still there.

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT

[-- Attachment #2: csh.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Caleb Herbert
n:Herbert;Caleb
adr:;;PO box 234;East Lynne;Missouri;64743;United States of America
email;internet:csh@bluehome.net
tel;home:816-869-3111
tel;cell:816-892-9669
note:KE0VVT
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:https://bluehome.net/csh/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: well motherfucking done internet. I'm not proud of you at all
@ 2019-09-21  3:00     ` Caleb Herbert
From: Caleb Herbert @ 2019-09-21  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
>    No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership -
>    not renew it!

We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.  It is critical.

>    We need to formulate a plan, a show of solidarity, addressing the FSF
>    board with a demand for rms' reinstatement. Let's hear some ideas.
>    RiseUp!!

We need to use this time to remember that RMS will not be here forever.
Each one of us needs to take up the torch and follow his example.  It is
now our turn to take over his work, run the FSF, and find ways of doing
everything we need to do on computers with only free software.

When Stallman dies, who will stand up and be as diligent as he on
JavaScript and other issues we routinely falter on?  We need need to.
All of us.

My first step: Resign from Reddit.

--

@ 2019-09-21  3:08       ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-21  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Herbert; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

RMS is very much alive. The plan to reinstate him as FSF president would
automatically also include one for succession. This is not the time for rms
to step aside while big corporations work to devour the principles of Free
Software.

Adrienne
--

   GNU C-Graph - [1]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [2]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [3]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph
   On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:02 PM Caleb Herbert <[4]csh@bluehome.net>
   wrote:

     On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
     >    No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your
     membership -
     >    not renew it!
     We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.  It is
     critical.
     >    We need to formulate a plan, a show of solidarity, addressing
     the FSF
     >    board with a demand for rms' reinstatement. Let's hear some
     ideas.
     >    RiseUp!!
     We need to use this time to remember that RMS will not be here
     forever.
     Each one of us needs to take up the torch and follow his example.
     It is
     now our turn to take over his work, run the FSF, and find ways of
     doing
     everything we need to do on computers with only free software.
     When Stallman dies, who will stand up and be as diligent as he on
     JavaScript and other issues we routinely falter on?  We need need
     to.
     All of us.
     My first step: Resign from Reddit.
     --
     Caleb Herbert
     KE0VVT
     816-892-9669
     [5]https://bluehome.net/csh

References

   1. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   2. http://codeartnow.com/
   3. http://www.abertheid.info/
   4. mailto:csh@bluehome.net
   5. https://bluehome.net/csh
   6. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Why stay or start an FSF membership? To keep funding software freedom.
@ 2019-09-21  4:28     ` J.B. Nicholson
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: J.B. Nicholson @ 2019-09-21  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Caleb Herbert wrote:
> Stallman told me I can best help by becoming a member and being
> diligent about making sure they continue to do what they did when
> Stallman was still there.
I can believe that and (regardless of who said it) I agree with this
advice; the perspective of what we should be doing -- working for software
freedom -- is part of that advice. The irony of who it comes from is also
not lost on me but the larger goal is the critical point.

Let's hope the FSF's next president has a commitment to software freedom
which compares favorably to Stallman's commitment. According to
https://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/freedom-misc/2019-September/004745.html
FSF Vice President Alexandre Oliva (of GNU Linux-libre fame) is Acting
President.

* Re: Why stay or start an FSF membership? To keep funding software freedom.
@ 2019-09-21  8:03       ` Caleb Herbert
From: Caleb Herbert @ 2019-09-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 09/20/2019 11:28 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:

> Let's hope the FSF's next president has a commitment to software freedom
> which compares favorably to Stallman's commitment. According to
> https://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/freedom-misc/2019-September/004745.html
> FSF Vice President Alexandre Oliva (of GNU Linux-libre fame) is Acting
> President.

I trust lxo.

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT
816-892-9669
https://bluehome.net/csh

[-- Attachment #2: csh.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Caleb Herbert
n:Herbert;Caleb
adr:;;PO box 234;East Lynne;Missouri;64743;United States of America
email;internet:csh@bluehome.net
tel;home:816-869-3111
tel;cell:816-892-9669
note:KE0VVT
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:https://bluehome.net/csh/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-21 14:32       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-21 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Herbert; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
>> No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership - not renew it!
>
> We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.

A voice?  You were an associate member when the mobbing had been on peak, weren’t you?  Did FSF send you an email asking for your opinion?  Or did, at least, inform you about a decision, while it still was preliminary?

Yes, indeed, FSF, unlike some other foundations [1], makes efforts to gain independence from transnational corporations by funding itself not from their ‘patronage’ but from dues and donations from thousands of individual supporters.

But to whose voice did they lend an ear when they had to make a vital decision: was it its grass root members’ voice?

[1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Become an FSF member now == support RMS dismissal
@ 2019-09-21 14:39     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Herbert; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> On 09/20/2019 08:11 AM, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>> I’m deeply afraid, that joining FSF out of support _now_ will be understood the other way round — as a sign of support of Dr. Stallman’s dismissal.
>
> Stallman told me I can best help by becoming a member

I fully know, that RMS is not an egoistic person and is more concerned for a future of his child (how he used to call a free software movement) rather than of his own.

But that fact does not amend what I’ve said: growth of FSF member number will be interpreted by media as a sign of support of his dismissal.

> and being diligent about making sure they continue to do what they did when Stallman was still there.

Cf. my another letter <zhix1zzy.321942@gmail.com>.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-21 15:04         ` Miles Fidelman
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Miles Fidelman @ 2019-09-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

I'm a dues-paying member.  I never received anything expressing the
board's position, or asking for my input.

Miles Fidelman

On 9/21/19 10:32 AM, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
>> On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
>>> No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership - not renew it!
>> We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.
> A voice?  You were an associate member when the mobbing had been on peak, weren’t you?  Did FSF send you an email asking for your opinion?  Or did, at least, inform you about a decision, while it still was preliminary?
>
> Yes, indeed, FSF, unlike some other foundations [1], makes efforts to gain independence from transnational corporations by funding itself not from their ‘patronage’ but from dues and donations from thousands of individual supporters.
>
> But to whose voice did they lend an ear when they had to make a vital decision: was it its grass root members’ voice?
>
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown

[1] [2]https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown

References

   1. mailto:csh@bluehome.net
   2. https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/
   3. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: Why stay or start an FSF membership? To keep funding software freedom.
@ 2019-09-21 15:06       ` Miles Fidelman
From: Miles Fidelman @ 2019-09-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Linus Torvalds, perhaps, as the next FSF President?  :-)

Miles Fidelman

On 9/21/19 12:28 AM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> Caleb Herbert wrote:
>> Stallman told me I can best help by becoming a member and being
>> diligent about making sure they continue to do what they did when
>> Stallman was still there.
> I can believe that and (regardless of who said it) I agree with this
> advice; the perspective of what we should be doing -- working for
> software freedom -- is part of that advice. The irony of who it comes
> from is also not lost on me but the larger goal is the critical point.
>
> Let's hope the FSF's next president has a commitment to software
> freedom which compares favorably to Stallman's commitment. According
> https://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/freedom-misc/2019-September/004745.html
> FSF Vice President Alexandre Oliva (of GNU Linux-libre fame) is Acting
> President.

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown

* Re: Become an FSF member now == support RMS dismissal
@ 2019-09-21 20:16       ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: Caleb Herbert, libreplanet-discuss

Growth of the FSF also enhances the FSF's ability to do its very
important work.

Who cares what the media has to say?
The media has always been hostile to free software.

@ 2019-09-21 20:25       ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss; +Cc: J.B. Nicholson

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 23:28:38 -0500
"J.B. Nicholson" <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:

> Let's hope the FSF's next president has a commitment to software
> freedom which compares favorably to Stallman's commitment. According
> https://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/freedom-misc/2019-September/004745.html
> FSF Vice President Alexandre Oliva (of GNU Linux-libre fame) is
> Acting President.

I've personally met Alexandre several times, at libreplanet
conferences. He's a good guy, and very passionate. He's completely
dedicated to the cause, and he's good at leadership (see: linux-libre)
and he's a good public speaker.

I think he would be an excellent replacement for RMS as president of
the FSF.

I'm not on the board of directors, so I hope I don't seem presumptuous.
I'm just a concerned free software citizen who cares about the movement.

--

@ 2019-09-21 22:50         ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrienne G. Thompson; +Cc: Caleb Herbert, libreplanet-discuss

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 22:08:29 -0500
"Adrienne G. Thompson" <adriennegayethompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> RMS is very much alive. The plan to reinstate him as FSF president
> would automatically also include one for succession. This is not the
> time for rms to step aside while big corporations work to devour the
> principles of Free Software.

I agree 10000% with this statement.

--

@ 2019-09-21 23:01         ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Herbert; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

We should set up a petition advising the FSF to consider lxo as leader
of the movement.

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 03:03:39 -0500

--

@ 2019-09-21 23:05         ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: Caleb Herbert, libreplanet-discuss

> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> > On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
> >> No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership
> >> - not renew it!
> >
> > We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.
>
> A voice?  You were an associate member when the mobbing had been on
> peak, weren’t you?  Did FSF send you an email asking for your
> opinion?  Or did, at least, inform you about a decision, while it
> still was preliminary?
>
> Yes, indeed, FSF, unlike some other foundations [1], makes efforts to
> gain independence from transnational corporations by funding itself
> not from their ‘patronage’ but from dues and donations from thousands
> of individual supporters.
>
> But to whose voice did they lend an ear when they had to make a vital
> decision: was it its grass root members’ voice?
>
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

I take objection to this; RMS resigned of his own free will, not
because the FSF pushed him out.

--

@ 2019-09-21 23:09         ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Fidelman; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 11:06:36 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> Linus Torvalds, perhaps, as the next FSF President?  :-)

You joke about this, but you should never assume that an organization
won't degrade in such a manner.

For instance, the Linux Foundation and many similar bodies are heavily
funded and guided by Microsoft and other proprietary software
companies. In the old days, such a scourge was unthinkable, and yet it
is the reality today.

We must always remain viligant against any and all forms of corruption
or regression that weaken the movement.

--

@ 2019-09-22  0:47           ` Aaron Wolf
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2019-09-22  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe, Miles Fidelman; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

While I agree *completely* with the concern, the Linux Foundation is a
501(c)(6) with a stated mandate to serve the *business* interests of
companies that use Linux. The FSF as a 501(c)(3) with a social mission
to promote software freedom *is* susceptible to take-over, but it's not
an analogous situation.

@ 2019-09-22  1:33             ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-22  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Wolf; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Those are the legalities.

Human beings exist outside the law. We are not perfect. This is why we
need to be vigilant, to make sure that the movement is never
corrupted.

This smear campaign against RMS is deeply troubling. Most people are
not involved with free software activism; at most, they've heard of
"open source", and there was already a lot of propoganda out there
suggesting RMS was some cranky nut who is unreasonable yada yada...
you know all this.

We are quite visibly under attack. I don't yet know any concrete
response to the situation that could resolve what is going on.

I do think that RMS should be reinstated though. Failing that, as I've
said, Alexandria Olivie of linux-libre is the perfect replacement for
RMS.

@ 2019-09-22  5:26         ` Caleb Herbert
From: Caleb Herbert @ 2019-09-22  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

I am not yet a member.

@ 2019-09-22 14:20           ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Fidelman; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 10:09 AM Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
wrote:

> I'm a dues-paying member.  I never received anything expressing the
> board's position, or asking for my input ... But to whose voice did they
> lend an ear when they had to make a vital decision:

was it its grass root members’ voice?

Let's have a look at the FSF's constitution, its memorandum and articles of
association. We need to understand what member's rights are and how far
they go towards determining:

1) Whether members have a voice in removing a board member(s) who may have
violated FSF policies - e.g. compromising FSF principles governing free
software such as:
a) Collaboration with corporate entities seeking to undermine the
principles that define free software and the GPL;
b) Contributing to misrepresentation, making false and defamatory
statements intended to damage the standing of another member of the board.

2) Whether rms' removal was in violation of the FSF constitution.

Adrienne
--

   GNU C-Graph - [2]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [3]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [4]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

References

   1. mailto:mfidelman@meetinghouse.net
   2. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   3. http://codeartnow.com/
   4. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-22 17:47             ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Fidelman; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

The evidence of the media storm has declared RMS' "resignation" the result
of undue influence, psychological pressure  - and coercion. It is called
"constructive dismissal". Look it up.

#RiseUp

Adrienne

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM Adrienne G. Thompson <

   GNU C-Graph - [6]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [7]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [8]http://www.abertheid.info

   1. mailto:adriennegayethompson@gmail.com
   2. mailto:mfidelman@meetinghouse.net
   3. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   4. http://codeartnow.com/
   5. http://www.abertheid.info/
   6. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   7. http://codeartnow.com/
   8. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-09-23  1:46         ` Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott
From: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott @ 2019-09-23  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 2019-09-21 at 17:32, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> > On 09/20/2019 08:21 AM, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
> >> No Leah, the way to go would have been to withdraw your membership - not renew it!
> >
> > We should become or remain members, so we have a voice.
>
> A voice?  You were an associate member when the mobbing had been on peak, weren’t you?  Did FSF send you an email asking for your opinion?  Or did, at least, inform you about a decision, while it still was preliminary?

"Associate Members are non-voting members of the Free Software
Foundation, Inc." [1]

Associate members do have a voice though; we can either:

 1. Contact the FSF ourselves to tell them how we feel (please be kind
    and supportive in this difficult time) or
 2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate members
    get costless admission and can attend the associate members'
    meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the FSF's
    work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).

I've done both.

Note however that RMS has asked people to keep guiding the FSF on the
right path and to not pressure for him to be president again.

[1]: https://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits
[2]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2019/sunday_members_lunch

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott:  http://www.pehjota.net/
Lead Developer, ProteanOS:  http://www.proteanos.com/

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-23 13:02           ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-23 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 7:39 AM Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott <pj@pehjota.net>
wrote:

> Note however that RMS has asked people to keep guiding the FSF on the
> right path and to not pressure for him to be president again.

RMS would be the first person to caution against slavish "obedience" to
anyone - including himself.

Is there a sword of Damocles dangling over RMS'  head? Have corporate
sponsors of the FSF now combined with those who constructed his dismissal
to threaten to totally pull the financial plug on FSF and GNU should RMS be
reinstated?

#RiseUP

Adrienne

--

   1. mailto:pj@pehjota.net

@ 2019-09-23 13:09     ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-23 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Downey; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 7:39 AM Michael Downey <michael@downey.net> wrote:

> >Dr. Stallman’s
> >dismissal.
>
> He's not a doctor.

Those of us who respectfully so address our Chief GNUisance do so with
reference to RMS' many honorary doctorates and professorships:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#Honors_and_awards

Dr. Stallman's constructive dismissal by those who were entirely willing to
get into bed with greedy and subversive corporate interests - is being met
with resistance.

#RiseUp

Adrienne
--

   [2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#Honors_and_awards

   1. mailto:michael@downey.net

@ 2019-09-23 16:01           ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:46:00 -0400
"Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott" <pj@pehjota.net> wrote:
> Associate members do have a voice though; we can either:
>
>  1. Contact the FSF ourselves to tell them how we feel (please be kind
>     and supportive in this difficult time) or
>  2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate
> members get costless admission and can attend the associate members'
>     meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the FSF's
>     work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).
>
> I've done both.

I've already done item 1 on that list.
I think I'll come to the US in March, for the LibrePlanet conference.

We need to keep things together, as you have said, Patrick. I look
forward to meeting you again :)

--
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer
https://minifree.org/ https://libreboot.org/

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-23 16:12             ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, libreplanet-discuss

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:01:35 +0100
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:

> >  2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate
> > members get costless admission and can attend the associate members'
> >     meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the
> > FSF's work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).

pizza and salad?

No. Let's reserve Veggie Galaxy and pack as many people as we can into
it :)

Veggie Galaxy is the reason I come to Boston, more than the FSF. It's
my favourite restaurant in the world :P

--

@ 2019-09-23 18:57               ` Deb Nicholson
From: Deb Nicholson @ 2019-09-23 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Libre Planet, World

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 12:14 PM Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss <
libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:01:35 +0100
> Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:
>
> > >  2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate
> > > members get costless admission and can attend the associate members'
> > >     meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the
> > > FSF's work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).
>
> pizza and salad?
>
> No. Let's reserve Veggie Galaxy and pack as many people as we can into
> it :)

For the last few years,  the members meeting has been onsite during the
second day of LibrePlanet to make it easy for people who can only come to
Cambridge during the conference days to attend. There's usually plenty of
good vegan (daiya) and vegetarian pizza there.

> Veggie Galaxy is the reason I come to Boston, more than the FSF. It's
> my favourite restaurant in the world :

That said, there's almost always groups (Gnu ones and others) going to
Veggie Galaxy on Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights.
Best,
Deb

--

     Leah Rowe <[2]info@minifree.org> wrote:
     > >  2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate
     > > members get costless admission and can attend the associate
     members'
     > >     meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the
     > > FSF's work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).
     pizza and salad?
     No. Let's reserve Veggie Galaxy and pack as many people as we can
     into
     it :)

   For the last few years,  the members meeting has been onsite during the
   second day of LibrePlanet to make it easy for people who can only come
   to Cambridge during the conference days to attend. There's usually
   plenty of good vegan (daiya) and vegetarian pizza there.

     Veggie Galaxy is the reason I come to Boston, more than the FSF.
     It's
     my favourite restaurant in the world :

   That said, there's almost always groups (Gnu ones and others) going to
   Veggie Galaxy on Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights.
   Best,
   Deb

     --
     Leah Rowe <[3]info@minifree.org>
     Company Director & Libreboot developer
     [6]https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
     Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
     Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
     VAT Registration No. GB202190462
     Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
     Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
     United Kingdom

References

   1. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   2. mailto:info@minifree.org
   3. mailto:info@minifree.org
   4. https://minifree.org/
   5. https://libreboot.org/
   6. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
   7. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-23 18:59               ` Caleb Herbert
From: Caleb Herbert @ 2019-09-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On 09/23/2019 11:12 AM, Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
> Veggie Galaxy is the reason I come to Boston, more than the FSF. It's
> my favourite restaurant in the world :P

Now you're making me hungry!  All the good vegan restaurants in Kansas
City have been shut down.  No more fresh iced nut cream sundaes...

--

@ 2019-09-23 19:22                 ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deb Nicholson; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Libre Planet, World

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:57:07 -0400
Deb Nicholson <deb@eximiousproductions.com> wrote:
> That said, there's almost always groups (Gnu ones and others) going to
> Veggie Galaxy on Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights.

I like their breakfasts

--

@ 2019-09-23 19:27                   ` Deb Nicholson
From: Deb Nicholson @ 2019-09-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Libre Planet, World

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 3:22 PM Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:57:07 -0400
> Deb Nicholson <deb@eximiousproductions.com> wrote:
> > That said, there's almost always groups (Gnu ones and others) going to
> > Veggie Galaxy on Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights.
>
> I like their breakfasts

Lucky you, bc they serve it all day!

   1. mailto:info@minifree.org
   2. mailto:deb@eximiousproductions.com
   3. mailto:info@minifree.org
   4. https://minifree.org/
   5. https://libreboot.org/

@ 2019-09-23 19:35               ` Aaron Wolf
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2019-09-23 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, libreplanet-discuss

On 2019-09-23 9:12 a.m., Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:01:35 +0100
> Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:
>
>>>  2. Attend the LibrePlanet conference in March, where associate
>>> members get costless admission and can attend the associate members'
>>>     meeting [2] on Sunday during lunch to offer feedback on the
>>> FSF's work (great deal: pizza and salad for your complaints!).
>
> pizza and salad?
>
> No. Let's reserve Veggie Galaxy and pack as many people as we can into
> it :)
>
> Veggie Galaxy is the reason I come to Boston, more than the FSF. It's
> my favourite restaurant in the world :P

Sorry for more tangent, but I really feel Veggie Galaxy is a distant 2nd
to Life Alive https://www.lifealive.com which is my absolute favorite
restaurant anywhere. It happens to be down the street from Veggie
Galaxy. And it almost justifies coming to LibrePlanet to go there.

Admittedly, Life Alive isn't as large for big group gatherings.

FWIW, I'm having more and more misgivings about flying anywhere ever,
given the emissions and climate mayhem etc. but I really still hope to
get to LibrePlanet again ever.

* Re: To be FSF member to have a voice? Does anyone listen?
@ 2019-09-23 22:01                 ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-23 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Wolf; +Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, libreplanet-discuss