* FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 19:07 al3xu5 / dotcommon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: al3xu5 / dotcommon @ 2019-09-19 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Those who here have clear how the statements of RMS have been misunderstood,
distorted and in some cases even manipulated - more or less consciously, often
with superficiality and hypocrisy - should manifest it, asking FSF to reject
the resignation of RMS.

In the progressive encirclement to the ethics and principles of FSF, which has
been going on for many years now, these forced resignations appear to me as the
most serious fall of one of the most important defensive bastions left; with
the likely perspective that even FSF can now easily fall into the hands of
those who are drastically eroding, even from within, the principles and
freedoms they represent.

Rejecting the resignation of RMS, FSF today has the opportunity to prove itself
to be a truly free entity, driven by ethical principles in favor of freedom and
of people, and not by personalistic interests and motivations or, worse still,
by those who in substance are against what FSF has so far defended and
represented.

I am a member since March 2009, and I wish I could continue to trust FSF. But
if FSF does not defend R and does not reject his resignation, I will no longer
be able to trust in FSF and I will be forced to stop renewing my memership.
This is really very sad.

Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           4096 bit RSA key 69C5977BF94CFE23
Fingerprint:  59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23

[-- Attachment #1.2: Firma digitale OpenPGP --]

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 19:18 ` Adrienne G. Thompson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: al3xu5 / dotcommon; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org>
wrote:

> ... Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!

Rise Up!!

Adrienne
--
Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!

GNU C-Graph - http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
Code Art Now - http://codeartnow.com
Abertheid Campaign - http://www.abertheid.info
Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

   <[1]dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:

     ... Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!

   Rise Up!!
   Adrienne
   --
   Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!
   GNU C-Graph - [2]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [3]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [4]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

References

   1. mailto:dotcommon@autistici.org
   2. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   3. http://codeartnow.com/
   4. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 19:29 ` Aaron Wolf
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2019-09-19 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: al3xu5 / dotcommon, libreplanet-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3223 bytes --]

It seems the public haranguing is so good at drawing emotion and
attention that anything that doesn't fit the narrative gets ignored too
often.

And defending the accused in this bold public campaign way *does* fit
the narrative.

But I'm trying to keep pushing a different direction. I agree with much
of what I've seen from folks like Adrienne. I agree that the call-out
and cancel culture and mob justice is dangerous and often misguided.

However, the solution is not to just take the opposing partisan side in
the argument. That simply plays into the same narrative set up by the
mob in the first place.

One good answer is to actually have a more reasoned, open, (perhaps)
facilitated, discussion about what to do.

Don't take a pro-RMS or anti-RMS stance. Reject the premise of such
stances. Don't call on the FSF to reject his resignation, participate as
a member of the FSF community in working on the difficult challenges of
what to do now. Do that with lots of listening along with proposing.

The broader social political reality we now have in the age of
Zuckerberg et al is horrific, but we can't deny it. The FSF has to
survive in this world, and we need to work together to figure out how to
do that. Martyrdom for the whole org may not be the best tactic for the
mission. We also don't want to send the signal that we can be bullied
and will always give in to mob vigilante justice.

None of this is easy, and it doesn't help to draw dividing lines in the
sand between different factions in the free software movement.

@ 2019-09-19 20:06   ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-19 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Wolf; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 2:30 PM Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> wrote:

> I agree that the call-out
> and cancel culture and mob justice is dangerous and often misguided.

One good answer is to actually have a more reasoned, open, (perhaps)
> facilitated, discussion about what to do.

That is the point of the #RiseUp campaign. So organise yourselves and
intervene NOW!!!

> The FSF has to survive in this world, ...

Martyrdom for the whole org may not be the best tactic for the
> mission. We also don't want to send the signal that we can be bullied
> and will always give in to mob vigilante justice.

Only the FSF appears to be contemplating martyrdom. We are sending a
message that the Free Software Movement will not be bullied. The GNU
Project - with its founder - will keep moving forward.

Go to Twitter and elsewhere to #RiseUP !!

Adrienne
--

   1. mailto:wolftune@riseup.net

@ 2019-09-19 21:02   ` Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott
From: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott @ 2019-09-19 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Thank you Aaron for trying to push the conversation in a more civil and
productive direction.  I regret not emphasizing this more strongly in an
earlier message.

On 2019-09-19 at 12:29, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> However, the solution is not to just take the opposing partisan side in
> the argument. That simply plays into the same narrative set up by the
> mob in the first place.
>
> One good answer is to actually have a more reasoned, open, (perhaps)
> facilitated, discussion about what to do.

All I can add to all of these well-said points is an expansion of the
above advice.  When you see others committing what you see as injustice,
be better than them.  Don't stoop to their level.  Respond to emotion
with reason.

Please don't "#RiseUp" or anything so emotional.  The resignation is
done, like it or not.  Our two biggest threats now are:

 1. That the free software community is now split into warring factions,
    and
 2. That some will now take a logical leap from the misunderstandings to
    accuse the free software community of "defending Epstein" and such.

Let's focus on solving what we can.

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott:  http://www.pehjota.net/
Lead Developer, ProteanOS:  http://www.proteanos.com/

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 21:18     ` Aaron Wolf
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2019-09-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrienne G. Thompson; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

The call to go to Twitter with a hashtag is exactly the opposite of what
I am suggesting.

This seems like having a protest march before even an initial attempt to
negotiate and work on diplomacy in the first place.

We may not be involved directly with the FSF Board but we should start
by getting in touch with them. The concerns should be discussed
**privately** in smaller groups where we can do all possible steps to
connect on a natural human level, understand one another, etc.

I'm not even sure what the optimal process looks like, but it is NOT a
social media campaign to just play the same dysfunctional mob-justice
game that brought us to this place.

@ 2019-09-19 21:36 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-19 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: al3xu5 / dotcommon; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:
> Those who here have clear how the statements of RMS have been misunderstood, distorted and in some cases even manipulated - more or less consciously, often with superficiality and hypocrisy - should manifest it, asking FSF to reject the resignation of RMS.
>
> In the progressive encirclement to the ethics and principles of FSF, which has been going on for many years now, these forced resignations appear to me as the most serious fall of one of the most important defensive bastions left; with the likely perspective that even FSF can now easily fall into the hands of those who are drastically eroding, even from within, the principles and freedoms they represent.
>
> Rejecting the resignation of RMS, FSF today has the opportunity to prove itself to be a truly free entity, driven by ethical principles in favor of freedom and of people, and not by personalistic interests and motivations or, worse still, by those who in substance are against what FSF has so far defended and represented.
>
> I am a member since March 2009, and I wish I could continue to trust FSF. But if FSF does not defend R and does not reject his resignation, I will no longer be able to trust in FSF and I will be forced to stop renewing my memership.  This is really very sad.
>
> Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!

There are many of those who share your apprehensions, but, I’m afraid, you hardly found much of them reading this mailing list.  I hope, you tried more popular social platforms too.

On the other hand, I could imagine a much worse scenario: one unfortunate day, Dr. Stallman is not forced to resign, he simply dies: there is no any scandals, and the very same people, who are backstabbing him now, bestows stock praises on the deceased while exulting in their hearts — we, however, are never aware of that.

History taughts us, that a lifework of great leader, who neglects an opportunity to step aside and let his successors to display themselves while still keeping an eye on them, might go rack and ruin in moments.

Dr. Stallman, though unwillingly, took that opportunity.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 22:22       ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-19 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Wolf; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

The call to go to Twitter with a hashtag is exactly the opposite of what
> I am suggesting.
>
> This seems like having a protest march before even an initial attempt to
> negotiate and work on diplomacy in the first place.

RMS' should be reinstated immediately as FSF President. Failing that the
GNU community needs to hear directly, formally, and in writing from the FSF
that rms remains head of GNU. In the event that he does not return as
President, I also propose rms be given a new title - Chief Technology
Innovation Officer (CTIO) or Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to underscore
his position of responsibility in respect of GNU.

Please go ahead and organise groups of GNU maintainers to devise an
approach to the FSF for your diplomatic intervention. You need to act on
this immediately. Good luck!

Adrienne
--

   GNU C-Graph - [1]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [2]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [3]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

References

   1. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   2. http://codeartnow.com/
   3. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-19 22:29     ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

You can "Rise Up" in a civil manner. That is what you will be doing by
engaging the FSF in diplomatic discussion. It is a protest - just a more
civil one than the twitter campaign that lies in waiting should you fail to
do anything at all. We need formal assurance from the FSF that RMS remains
our Chief GNUisance!

Go organise - i.e #RiseUp !!

Adrienne

     On 2019-09-19 at 12:29, Aaron Wolf wrote:
     > However, the solution is not to just take the opposing partisan
     side in
     > the argument. That simply plays into the same narrative set up by
     the
     > mob in the first place.
     >
     > One good answer is to actually have a more reasoned, open,
     (perhaps)
     > facilitated, discussion about what to do.
     All I can add to all of these well-said points is an expansion of
     the
     above advice.  When you see others committing what you see as
     injustice,
     be better than them.  Don't stoop to their level.  Respond to
     emotion
     with reason.
     Please don't "#RiseUp" or anything so emotional.  The resignation is
     done, like it or not.  Our two biggest threats now are:
      1. That the free software community is now split into warring
     factions,
         and
      2. That some will now take a logical leap from the
     misunderstandings to
         accuse the free software community of "defending Epstein" and
     such.
     Let's focus on solving what we can.
     --
     Patrick "P. J." McDermott:  [2]http://www.pehjota.net/
     Lead Developer, ProteanOS:  [3]http://www.proteanos.com/

   Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!
   GNU C-Graph - [7]http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   Code Art Now - [8]http://codeartnow.com
   Abertheid Campaign - [9]http://www.abertheid.info
   Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

References

   1. mailto:pj@pehjota.net
   2. http://www.pehjota.net/
   3. http://www.proteanos.com/
   4. http://www.libiquity.com/
   5. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
   7. http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
   8. http://codeartnow.com/
   9. http://www.abertheid.info/

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-20  9:39   ` al3xu5 / dotcommon
From: al3xu5 / dotcommon @ 2019-09-20  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Il giorno giovedì 19/09/2019 12:29:53 -0700
Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> ha scritto:

> It seems the public haranguing is so good at drawing emotion and
> attention that anything that doesn't fit the narrative gets ignored too
> often.
>
> And defending the accused in this bold public campaign way *does* fit
> the narrative.

What I mean by "defending RMS" is that FSF (in the sense of the people who
constitute it, the board and others in FSF) should not have intervened at all in
the matter and should not have pressured to lead to the resignation of RMS. But
it wasn't like that (just read the messages on the list and the topics on the
forum ...)

> [...]
>
> Don't take a pro-RMS or anti-RMS stance. Reject the premise of such
> stances. Don't call on the FSF to reject his resignation, participate as
> a member of the FSF community in working on the difficult challenges of
> what to do now. Do that with lots of listening along with proposing.

Just for clarity: what I said ("Please, those who think like me, make your
voice heard!") Is aimed at those who share the (original) principles and
purposes of GNU and FSF, to act * from within *, not to feed social idiocy.

> The broader social political reality we now have in the age of
> Zuckerberg et al is horrific, but we can't deny it. The FSF has to
> survive in this world, and we need to work together to figure out how to
> do that. Martyrdom for the whole org may not be the best tactic for the
> mission. We also don't want to send the signal that we can be bullied
> and will always give in to mob vigilante justice.

I'm not convinced of this.

The "survive in this world" strategy ends up leading to doing what one would
like to avoid, that is "fit the narrative". If FSF and its ideas of freedom,
along with so many other different entities in the world, have long been in a
slow decline, perhaps it is precisely because they have taken this approach.

On the contrary, I am led to believe that this type of realty must be
completely rejected; not to go to martyrdom, but to fight - and not in the
"territories" chosen by those who oppose us, and with "armaments" different
from those they want us to sell and make use of - knowing that we can also
completely perish.

> None of this is easy, and it doesn't help to draw dividing lines in the
> sand between different factions in the free software movement.

In fact it is not a question of creating divisions, nor can this help. But
perhaps divisions are (and were) already within the FSF, and then it is
necessary to take note of them.

And perhaps in FSF there are some who might not be there, or to have ideas and
feelings that are not compatible, or for their actions are (and were) more
contrary than in accordance with those of FSF.

Today some have asked, pushed and obtained the resignation of RMS, perhaps
after having been for so many years inside FSF with an adverse approach,
personalistic or idealistic... I wonder then: why they have not been to resign
in all this time? This is what many "simple" members are doing today without
any delay, for coherence and honesty...

Regards

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           4096 bit RSA key 69C5977BF94CFE23
Fingerprint:  59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23

[-- Attachment #1.2: Firma digitale OpenPGP --]

* We should all do something a little different now.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-09-20 17:55 ` Will Hill
From: Will Hill @ 2019-09-20 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On Thursday 19 September 2019, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> Those who here have clear how the statements of RMS have been
> misunderstood, distorted and in some cases even manipulated - more or less
> consciously, often with superficiality and hypocrisy - should manifest it,
> asking FSF to reject the resignation of RMS.

I agree, the FSF should have investigated the facts and looked for community
input before accepting RMS's resignation.  I understand that Richard can be
stubborn, but his resignation over libel is not at an obvious way to help the
FSF or make this scandal go away, much less fix the underlying issues.

Everyone should put some time into understanding the issue and voice your
opinion.  Roy Schestowitz has made a good page for understanding what
happened:

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/128122

I know people don't really have time for this, but doing nothing is an
acceptance of might makes right.

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-21 20:19   ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrienne G. Thompson; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Why do I have to rise? I'm too lazy to get up. I'd rather just sit
here and paint, or code.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:18:22 -0500 "Adrienne G.
Thompson" <adriennegayethompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM al3xu5 / dotcommon
> <dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:
>
> > ... Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!
> >

> Rise Up!!
>
> Adrienne
> --
> Freedom - no pane, all gaiGN!
>
> GNU C-Graph - http://www.gnu.org/software/c-graph
> Code Art Now - http://codeartnow.com
> Abertheid Campaign - http://www.abertheid.info
> Follow me on Twitter @AdrienneGT @GNUcgraph

--
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

* Re: FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
@ 2019-09-21 20:28     ` Adrienne G. Thompson
From: Adrienne G. Thompson @ 2019-09-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 3:19 PM Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:

> Why do I have to rise? I'm too lazy to get up. I'd rather just sit
> here and paint, or code.

Then sit Leah. There maybe tasks that you can do while sitting at your
laptop supporting those of us who choose to rise!

Adrienne
--

   1. mailto:info@minifree.org

@ 2019-09-21 23:33       ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss