* Re: Easy to understand way of getting a new computer already setup out of the box as close as can be to rms' principles.
@ 2019-09-24  8:08 Federico Leva (Nemo)
From: Federico Leva (Nemo) @ 2019-09-24  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

The way I find the answer is usually this:
https://www.fsf.org/resources/ (third link) →
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hwhttps://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom →
various links including <https://tehnoetic.com/TET-X200>,
<https://store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/x200-ryf-certfied>,
<https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/>.

Does this satisfy your requirements and do you think it's easy enough?
Do you have suggestions for different ways to provide this information?

Federico

P.s.: I had to copy the Message-ID from the mbox archive

* Re: Easy to understand way of getting a new computer already setup out of the box as close as can be to rms' principles.
@ 2019-09-24 17:41 ` Thomas Lord
  2019-09-24 22:51   ` Introductory documetation for free software (was: Easy to understand way of getting a new computer already setup out of the box as close as can be to rms' principles.) Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Thomas Lord @ 2019-09-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Leva (Nemo); +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

No, that is not what I'm hoping to see.  Very few people will ever find
those links and fewer still have the knowledge to know how to use that
information.

Here is a scenario for thought experiment purposes:

I have a minor role in Berkeley politics.  In this capacity, I sometimes
have occasion to try to interest the "real" politicians in software
freedom, both for their own use and for official use by the City.   One
problem is that there is no material I've ever found on the fsf.org
website that serves as a good starting point for people.  I can't just
"give them a link".    The next problem arises if someone wants to try
getting started.   Even if I hand them a pre-loaded device, there is no
GNU material to teach them basic GNU (originally unix) concepts, basic
system administration, and so on.   Or similarly, consider the City IT
department - a microsoft shop through and through.  Good luck finding
training materials they can adopt and adapt if they want to put GNU
systems on staff desktops, or get away from proprietary software on City
servers.   None of these very basic elements are present but my belief
is that they would go a long way to spreading software freedom.

If GNU, with *help* from the FSF worked on that, one strategy might be
to start with very minimal systems -- nearly "classic unix-like" and
little more -- simply to get a really solid foundation in place, and
build from there.

-t

   [1]https://www.fsf.org/resources/ (third link) →
   [2]https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw →
   [3]https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom →
   various links including <[4]https://tehnoetic.com/TET-X200>,
   <[5]https://store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/x200-ryf-certfied
   >, <[6]https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x200/>.
   Does this satisfy your requirements and do you think it's easy enough?
   Do you have suggestions for different ways to provide this information?
   Federico
   P.s.: I had to copy the Message-ID from the mbox archive

References

   7. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

@ 2019-09-24 18:08   ` Federico Leva (Nemo)
From: Federico Leva (Nemo) @ 2019-09-24 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Thomas Lord, 24/09/19 20:41:
> Very few people will ever find those links and fewer still have the
> knowledge to know how to use that information.

Can you clarify? Are you saying they wouldn't be able to use a pretty
standard webshop, or that the offer doesn't satisfy their needs?

> [...] Or similarly, consider the City IT
> department - a microsoft shop through and through. Good luck finding
> training materials they can adopt and adapt if they want to put GNU
> systems on staff desktops, or get away from proprietary software on City
> servers.

This is certainly more complicated. It's usually not enough to provide
documentation: you need thorough analysis and development, in-person
training, support, social change management etc. The Document Foundation
has a protocol for the migration to LibreOffice and some advice on
migration consultants.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170622191021/https://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/Certification/tdf-migrationprotocol.pdf
https://www.documentfoundation.org/gethelp/migrators/

It's a lot of work and it needs to be done properly. There are some
examples one can copy from various large public administrations around
the world but there is no one size fits all process.

Federico

@ 2019-09-24 22:51   ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss, Federico Leva (Nemo)