* access to talks
@ 2022-03-21 16:01 Jim Fulner
From: Jim Fulner @ 2022-03-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

I'm having trouble finding links to the recordings of talks I wasn't
able to make.

Can someone help me find those, particualrly as due to religious
concerns I was uanble to do any on Sunday.

Yours in liberation,

Jim Fulner

Promoting Freed Minds, Freed Markets and Free Software
and whenever possible Free Beer
"For as long as one of your brothers is not free, none of you are free"
586-473-7007

Follow me on the world's best decentralized social media platform GNU
Social. https://2mb.social/fu Aren't you tired of big government
backed corporations managing your social interactions?

This Free message sent via a Free SMTP server running the Free
Operating System GNU/Linux
www.fsf.org

* Re: access to talks
@ 2022-03-21 16:18 ` Greg Farough
From: Greg Farough @ 2022-03-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

On Mon, Mar 21 2022, Jim Fulner <jim.fulner@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> I'm having trouble finding links to the recordings of talks I wasn't
> able to make.
>

> Can someone help me find those, particualrly as due to religious
> concerns I was uanble to do any on Sunday.

The recorded talks aren't published quite yet. We're working on it,
though, and aim to have them up in the next week or so.

-g

--
Greg Farough // Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation

Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: access to talks
@ 2022-03-21 17:19 ` Dennis Payne
From: Dennis Payne @ 2022-03-21 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Fulner, libreplanet-discuss

They are not available yet. They will be putting them online as soon as
they can but I don't know how fast that will be.

I didn't catch most talks on Sunday. I did catch most of the keynote
and found it interesting. I also liked the talk on TRBot on Saturday.
Does anyone have any talks they liked that I might have missed?

On Mon, 2022-03-21 at 12:01 -0400, Jim Fulner wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding links to the recordings of talks I wasn't
> able to make.
>

> Can someone help me find those, particualrly as due to religious
> concerns I was uanble to do any on Sunday.
>
> Yours in liberation,
>
> Jim Fulner
>
> Promoting Freed Minds, Freed Markets and Free Software
> and whenever possible Free Beer
> "For as long as one of your brothers is not free, none of you are
> free"
> 586-473-7007
>
> Follow me on the world's best decentralized social media platform GNU
> Social. https://2mb.social/fu Aren't you tired of big government
> backed corporations managing your social interactions?
>
> This Free message sent via a Free SMTP server running the Free
> Operating System GNU/Linux
> www.fsf.org

* LibrePlanet feedback [was Re: access to talks]
@ 2022-03-24 18:45   ` Leland Best
From: Leland Best @ 2022-03-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

All,

On Mon, 2022-03-21 at 12:18 -0400, Greg Farough wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21 2022, Jim Fulner <jim.fulner@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble finding links to the recordings of talks I wasn't
> > able to make.
> >

> > Can someone help me find those, particualrly as due to religious
> > concerns I was uanble to do any on Sunday.
>
> The recorded talks aren't published quite yet. We're working on it,
> though, and aim to have them up in the next week or so.
[...]

I couldn't find a place on the web-site for feedback about the 2022 (virtual)
LibrePlanet conference so I'm posting it here.  My apologies if I'm out of line.
Obviously, all this is strictly my personal opinion.

On the up-side: The topics for this year's LibrePlanet were great.  I frequently
wanted to watch more than one at once.  This is one reason I too am looking
forward to being able to stream the recorded talks.  I think at least one reason
they were of such interest to me is that "Living Liberation" 100% (reaching the
top of the Freedom Ladder) has eluded me for decades.  So, naturally, talks
about subjects related to getting there were/are of great interest to me.

On the down-side: I have a 1.2Gbps Internet connection (in CO, USA) which I've
measured via

https://www.speedtest.net/

at between 800Mbps and 900Mbps down, and 30Mbps to 40Mbps up.  Despite this, the
connection for LibrePlanet couldn't keep up with real-time video resulting in
frequent pauses for "buffering".  Manually pausing to force buffering more data
would help for a while, but inevitably playback would empty the buffer once
again resulting in frequent pauses.  This appeared to be equally prevalent for
hi-res and low-res streams/connections.  By mid-afternoon (EDT) I couldn't stand
it anymore and gave up with a headache.  I skipped Sunday entirely.

I saw some traffic about this issue on IRC but it mostly seemed aimed a people
with slow Internet connections.  Not the case here.  Anyway, I'm hoping
streaming the recorded talks will work better.  Another reason I was curious
about the answer to the original question in the "access to talks" thread.

Finally: Lest anyone think I'm now "down" on virtual LibrePlanet, I'm not!  For
now, virtual is the only way I can expect to attend.  I'm incredibly grateful to
_everybody_ involved in making this happen: FSF personnel, presenters, other
attendees, and everybody else who in any way contributed!  I'm already looking
forward to next year. :)

Cheers
Leland
Leland C. Best      | Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is
lcbpublic@gmail.com |  something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
                    | -- Isaac Asimov
PGP Fingerprint     | 7B23ACB474299DF0E07F6DEBB8FEE465DCB9B6C3

* Re: LibrePlanet feedback [was Re: access to talks]
@ 2022-03-25 15:36     ` Devin Ulibarri
From: Devin Ulibarri @ 2022-03-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

On 3/24/22 14:45, Leland Best wrote:
> I couldn't find a place on the web-site for feedback about the 2022 (virtual)
> LibrePlanet conference so I'm posting it here.

The LibrePlanet 2022 Questionnaire is published here:
https://my.fsf.org/node/49

> My apologies if I'm out of line.
> Obviously, all this is strictly my personal opinion.

There is nothing wrong with posting feedback to this mailing list. That
being said, replies to the questionnaire help staff to more conveniently
assess feedback in aggregate (e.g. to better see how many others may be
saying similar things about x, y, and/or z). Please consider also adding
your feedback to the questionnaire linked above.

As for the videos, the staff are busily working on preparing them for
publication. We expect them to be published fairly soon.

Thank you,
Devin

--
Devin Ulibarri // Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Free Software Foundation

Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org/

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through
the Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/

GPG Key: 2E0E CE75 F816 2B40 7D66 6767 8797 38E6 D644 0D57
What's GPG? See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ for more info.

* Re: LibrePlanet feedback [was Re: access to talks]
@ 2022-03-25 23:26       ` Lori Nagel via libreplanet-discuss
From: Lori Nagel via libreplanet-discuss @ 2022-03-25 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org, Devin Ulibarri

It is a shame you missed Sunday.  They fixed the technical issues and the video feed got much much better.  It was great to see the turnaround on the second day of the conference.  Unfortunately my talk was Saturday.  Hopefully the replays from Saturday will not be bad like the streams were.

   [1]https://my.fsf.org/node/49
   [2]https://my.fsf.org/
   US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us
   through
   the Combined Federal Campaign. [3]https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/
   GPG Key: 2E0E CE75 F816 2B40 7D66 6767 8797 38E6 D644 0D57
   What's GPG? See [4]https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ for more info.

References

   1. https://my.fsf.org/node/49
   2. https://my.fsf.org/
   3. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/
   4. https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/
   5. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: LibrePlanet feedback [was Re: access to talks]
@ 2022-03-26 23:08       ` Leland Best
From: Leland Best @ 2022-03-26 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi Devin (and All),

On Fri, 2022-03-25 at 11:36 -0400, Devin Ulibarri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/24/22 14:45, Leland Best wrote:
> > I couldn't find a place on the web-site for feedback about the 2022
> > (virtual)
> > LibrePlanet conference so I'm posting it here.
>
> The LibrePlanet 2022 Questionnaire is published here:
> https://my.fsf.org/node/49
>
> > My apologies if I'm out of line.
> > Obviously, all this is strictly my personal opinion.
>
> There is nothing wrong with posting feedback to this mailing list. That
> being said, replies to the questionnaire help staff to more conveniently
> assess feedback in aggregate (e.g. to better see how many others may be
> saying similar things about x, y, and/or z). Please consider also adding
> your feedback to the questionnaire linked above.

Ah!  Thanks for the tip/pointer/link.  Will do.

> As for the videos, the staff are busily working on preparing them for
> publication. We expect them to be published fairly soon.

Great!  FWIW, no "rush" for me, just good to know they _will_ be posted (and
where).  Thanks again for everybody's time and effort!

@ 2022-03-26 23:24         ` Leland Best
From: Leland Best @ 2022-03-26 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi Lori (and All),

On Fri, 2022-03-25 at 23:26 +0000, Lori Nagel via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

> It is a shame you missed Sunday.  They fixed the technical issues and the video
> feed got much much better.

Heh.  Just my luck.  Glad everybody else had a better experience on Sunday
though!

And thanks for the time and effort to put together your presentation about GNU
Jami.  I kept switching between yours and Gunnar's presentation about the
keyserver network.  I had/have an immediate interest in both and couldn't make
up my mind. :^/  Another reason I'm glad the recorded talks will be available!

>   It was great to see the turnaround on the second day of the conference.
> Unfortunately my talk was Saturday.  Hopefully the replays from Saturday will
> not be bad like the streams were.
[...]

Agreed.