* RMS speech transcript
@ 2022-04-19 18:58 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-04-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

This was machine generated via Mozilla DeepSpeech (
https://deepspeech.readthedocs.io/en/r0.9/?badge=latest)
and probably needs manual editing to correct errors and to be properly
formatted.

As attached

[-- Attachment #2: rms_speech.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 51118 bytes --]

happen but of course there happening now but i'd like to thank all of you who have contributed especially to geneseo were but also to other free software whether you call the program open source or free software as long as it is free software then it's a contribution and i appreciate it and the rest of you if you were programmers than you can contribute this way and i asked you to please spend some of your time if you want to spend it programming please spend some of it on developing free software so that we get more of it and we can especially if the free program does the job which currently free software doesn't do those of the most important programs to develop now some people enjoy doing things because their useless and yet that's a part of hacking but we are fighting for freedom you can have as much fun developing a free program that will do a job there is no free software for as you could have by doing retro computing and it beat more useful oh there are some features we would like people to write and one of them something that i really wish we had is if some free spelling checker had a gender feature so it would when you check one word it would tell you the words gender this would really help a lot in writing in the languages where you need know the gender of each word in england you usually don't need to know but in french and spanish is extremely important and inherits even more important if we could put that information into the spell checker dictionaries and every time you check one word in your text editor it'll tell you that words gender this would be enormously useful in practice now you beast a program from scratch program we don't have and that's tremendously useful but the program in order to be a eneas work well it should be easy to use it should be designed to pretty well obviously nobody has time to do that perfectly and she come with enough explanation that people don't have trouble using it as a confederate the program first then then you can write them the manual for it bad and it should do a substantial useful job or else be substantially fun if you develop a programme like that or you started developing a program that you hope will ultimately will eventually us meet those men those desired criteria that please it in touch with the new project and talk with us about making it a gatacre would really like to have more and there are lots of other ways to help us which you can find in ganoatohale take a look now the free software movement is universal and moralised not exclude any one because even though there are crimes that should be punished cutting some one off from contributing to free software punishes the world not that person i'd like to talk about the state of our movement in adhereing better and things better getting burwell one area were something got better few guages which have had big improvements in guano have another package archie called non gnulemah the packages in that but they're not part of main any sense but this is a way that we can shouting which don't have the paperwork and so on to include in eastern real problem with them so now we can make users avail make us aware of them of the ones that seemed good enough to include new health now has a hospital management facility which should make it liable to a lot more medical organization so they can switch to free software and do everything in freedom and tonewerot a big upgrade but i think it still needs a graphical interface for use on educational resemble the other applications on genealogical the concepts that we need to that place you can get involved in helping now what's getting worse well the leaded mission machines that we have are getting older and scarcer finding a way to support something new is difficult because until an and are both are both designing their hardware to subjugate people if if they were basically haters of the public it would be hard for them to do it much worse than their doing and mackintoshes are moving towards being jail like the monsters is getting harder for us to install even their own programs to run them and this of course should be in legal it should be illegal to sell a computer that doesn't let us yes and stalls of their own from the trim source coat and probably shouldn't allow the computer to stop you from installing vineries that you get from others either even though it's true you got to go in cases like that you're doing it at your own risk but tying people down strapping them into their chairs so they can't do anything ever themselves makes things worse not better there are other systems where you can find ways to trust people that don't depend on being under the power of a giant company receive problem sometimes were but supported all hardware et de supported because oh because it somebody doesn't think it's important any more it's so old how could that matter but there are reasons reasons i just told you about why all hard work sometimes remains very important and people aren't thinking about this issue may not realize that for instance we had to be the last usable service was the supported because it was too old and they weren't hearing from enough people using it at the capstan you care about that be sure to keep the cordeliers informed and we have seen us some aspects of outstarting thirty two bits systems and that's going to have repercussions too and shall we got to find a solution for that will work round for that too would to of course is a non radstowe i wouldn't recommend it any one use it but some important packages are now distributed only through their i basically non freedom respecting package system and not as debasement than before to get any freedom out of an wootton but even if you don't actually try to use good to their other dishonest depend in various ways on a pinto and they are affected by this too i've seen reports that in wareville many organizations are trying to push people away from their web sites and to using a proprietary appropriator smart phone operating systems instead now this doesn't seem to be world wide in a decorous to find out if this another country where its happening but in any case an act is much worse for our prospects of freedom then a website that sends non free jobberies the is good to use neither the leye your freedom but but it's much easier to figure out how to communicate with the sight if you're talking about doing it with a werse then if you're talking about a non free as it should it change for the worse is a change from an unjust program you shouldn't use to an unjust program you shouldn't use and that really shanty now there is a proposed law called coach would require mandatory age verification of users which means mandatory identification of users which is likely to be to mean by a face recognition and it would be in every commercial software application or electronic service that collector now that's grammatically ambiguous escorial modify only software application or does it also modify electronic service it makes a difference but either way it's a disaster you know what things like good emissaries would have to like that fither users aparently they are electronic services that connected the internet but and oh it all only if it's possible that somebody under sixteen might try to use things that almost always the case their only special situations where they couldn't possibly try so this bill coaches supposedly for protecting children that so one of the favorite excuses for new forms of surveillance of repression to protect the children but whether it would actually protect any one is dubious but they hope that would actually be checked the other favorite excuse although it's a little less likely to pop up these days is terrorism terrorism hasn't been such a big problem as to make people so excited about it rightly so it's not quite as tempting as an excuse were as protecting children turns out to be really important but a house in doing is not obvious but you could always propose a completely useless method that will repress every one now another error we had problems is that there are several languages which come with a package library basically people post packages in them and that might be fine if they had a good criterion for the licensing of the libraries people up loathest but they're not developed by free software activists and they don't have such a criterion there are non free packages in those libraries too now some of them make it possible to find out whether libraries free some of them is difficult but sometime yet you could probably look at the source code and see what licenses are in it and then you could look up those licenses and gineralise this list that and see if all those licenses are free and that way you know whether the given library you were thinking of it for your not but that's enough work to do if they don't help you and the problem is they don't help you at the very widest they should make it easy to say show me only the free packages and then show me only the popanilla cause i'm writing a po cover program and i can't use the libraries that are not to people and i certainly won't ever think of using a non free library they are not interested in helping people move forward and freedom and so we need people to write from ensureth package leakage archives and which will show only the free licenses freely licensed packages and which can be asked to show only show which one ejecate or show only those and this way they will be usable easily by the free software community and if you like one of the languages that has this problem please show your appreciation for that language by reconciling its use with with maintaining freedom another area where things have been getting worse is a containers containers are away of packaging a program together with all the libraries of needs are the old way of doing this was you would make sure that your program said with versions of libraries it was compiled to work with and in the source code you use something like the atalanta i could work with the various library versions and this way you could build the program for a wide variety of frescoing systems and versions of them well that some work so some new developers they release the free program not all orators but some of them do release free programs using containers and the container had one set of libraries in it and how do you really know what's in there it's not straight forward to verify that overlies in the container are free and a lot of people will realize that they should even think about it to the use of containers as they are implemented nowadays but by people who are not free software activists and are not particularly concerned with this question is an obstacle to verify that our installing free software well maybe some o these containers systems could be improved or may be another one could be designed to solve these problems if a container packaging system were designed by people who care about freedom they might find good ways to be satisfied this goal as well as others so it's something you can possibly work on now i'd like to invite people either is a medium size improvement you have in mind to suggest for free software please tell the dupotet or tell me because i'd like to sit look at it and if it seems like a reasonable thing to do i'd like to add it to general so that we get the suggestions out there we can make this something that we contribute to and look at and thus help people find promise projects that will really make our programs more convenient don't what are we doing to add to bring people into the community and to encourage to advance well the free software foundation has an idea called the freedom letter and the idea is that it's some beginning steps to introduce a onofre software no to the ideas and to trying it and one of the early steps is learning about the basic of the philosophy one is installing a few free programs on whatever system pursues and then getting used to actually using some free software sometimes and then beyond that there would be installing ettelson some computer and thus getting a first introduction to having a free system now these are the beginning steps because were they bring you is participating in the free software community but they don't start to tackle the hardest problems the hardest problems are the systems that are deeply embedded in society and this is a place where something i said in the tenawas quite a few years ago now it is no longer true it to reject some non free programs takes stubbornness and determination it's not so easy any more and the reason is that some non freystadt in society institutions will demand people use them there were vaccination sits that would only let you make an appointment if you ran on for joscelind no response to a telephone call well i couldn't get vaccinated there i found a place i could so problematical is shameful and we should teach governments never to do that but schools were doing that very often and reperuse just groups of people who socialize are doing it many talks now but academic or other such institutions are transmitted over non free software why dressin' see them now when you show in order to make a change you got a start saying no it's crucial to have a lot of people saying no but that doesn't mean you have to say no every time the way i do what i say no every time it's because i never accepted to do that thing and on each day i think should this be the first day i yield and start using such and such no way i find some way i can say no i breached if i if i you know started to say yes after saying no for so many years but suppose you are in the habit of saying yes well the first thing is to say no once just once no undisciplined using him you know i really wanted to you to move away from us so so right now i'm going to say no i'd love to talk with you people i love to watch this but not on and even if you only do it once you're helping the movement because it's an opportunity to explain to people why it's bad why you don't want to do it and you don't have to try to tell them what to do to listen to you better if you don't but if you show why it's important to you and you show that you regret not participate in but it's because it's something you want to move away from in their inner means of doing it not in the goal you can influence them subtly now schools are really bad in this regard nowadays and i swore a paper but well that a year ago a polish student got in touch with me and talked about all the things he had done to avoid running any non free software in his last year college and i was amazed by how creative and clever and flexible he had been and you have to be willing to do that mastery several different ways of not using whichever non free program it is and keep coming up with new ways one method that may not be obvious as if the teacher wants you to watch some some presentation over zoonomia or goletta well maybe there's a friend will be willing to put a web came watching a screen and transmit that to you though resorters what is being presented it for the class and the contrast the audio took so you're participating in the class at least you lest you see what you need to see and may be the friend will email you pedrigano and so on it's it's not convenient but it's also not tremendously hard and if you're trying to be able to say see if i have not eleians i'm winning this fight for my freedom the things like areotha of course add sometimes that won't work sometimes you won't find something as one if you have to use an onfredo which is to say in each class session i am bitterly ashamed of the fact that in using sonorities distaste seconds but say it each time the first time you say anything in class on any day in that particular class of any in any meeting of it say that i am bitterly ashamed of using zonela you make me do so and over time the fact that this is really important to you will sink in i don't know of anybody's tried this it would be interesting to find out what there is alarming have other suggestions if you've got a new suggestion that whitefoord didn't write about well informed the education group because would like to mention it as an idea now one way not use non free software is to go through business or even friends or avoid doing it online i it is better to ask a travel agent to buy your flights than to do it yourself using a toonie non freer now some people who are very inclined to generalizing everything and simplify everything to the mass to make as many things equivalent as possible they would say that makes a difference you know who cares why should it matter whether you use a computer or a travel agent uses a computer what is it matter because you're trying to keep away from nonprofessionals eliminating the non free software that's her ultimate goal but that's a much bigger go freeing yourself is good even if you don't free every one else in the process the travel agent is using non free software that and has decided to do so you don't you it's good of you free yourself a non free software even if it's only you so if you equate every possible way that anything unfortunate could happen and treat them all as equivalent you make it impossible to make progress you've got to change the whole world to make any progress and of course that's very hard so look at the differences between different things that are bad for somebody and if a traveled travel agitator about running on freestate by your flights for you nobody's worse off and you are closer to freedom part of another part of your life has reached freedom to its good for you and not bad for the traveler what if you want to ask a friend to order a product for you well that's something i do i won't order from online stores because i can't pay them one thing the payment services require running not for jovite ffrance it has gone to but extra care to be able to accept credit card payments without running on for software to do it but stores don't care that they do it the easy way which said you not fourscore or any online store so asked friends to order things for me if i can't find them in any physical store now it's not good for my friends if they use soft non free software to do this but those of the french should don't care about the issue and they do that every day anyway so that's why it's a step forward to ask a friend to do it for you if when the friend doesn't care about the issue on the other hand if it's a friend who does care about the issue and is trying to quit you really shouldn't ask her to do a bad thing instead of you that's a person who might refuse also so you should encourage your friend to refuse a long with you now with some sunstones and i don't do that because i don't want company to know who i am that that is a different issue that applies to the same situation to wrong things that they do one is you have to run on foreordering on mine and the other is to give them to pay remotely you got to do it by credit card and that's that's tracking people and i want to resist tracking too but well if my friend orders the product instead of me and get it sent to pureness well that's confusing big brother they think it's my friend's purchase but they don't know it's actually for me now this is a really serious problem for society that you can't water things remotely anonymously what netawis part of the path to fixing that intolerable people to get you know you'll be able to get a tower token from your bank or a whole bunch of power tokens and then you'll be able to use those to pay anonymously and then if the store can send the thing you ought to audley box in your neighborhood the store doesn't have to ever know who you are now another good thing the power could do is take care of the age verification problem suppose there is some sort of service which charge is money or even a tiny amount of money and is only for people over sixteen or people were eighteen or whatever it is well you could get from your bank a tower token that says he the person using this token is over sixteen this bank has verified that your bank you verify that it knows how old you are so then the sight only means to insist on a sixteen or over powered your age is verified but the site has no idea who you are unfortunately that won't help if you your identifying age tracking systems or legislated now the code of power works with it still being integrated with a bank so people could actually start to use it with real businesses one area where we find a lot of threats is in the right to use encryption and to end well there is a socialist markets directive in the european union which requires interpolation in other words various different services for communication would have to be able to use the same encryption method so that they could talk with each other and and encrypted and this is being called by commercial services a disaster but is it really the services that offer encryption and penetration to their users through their own proprietary encryption software can't be trusted any way encryption you know you can never trust a non free program there's always somebody who's in a position to screw you over secretly and it's very very hard for you to check and that is true for any website the does encryption and sends you sansonetto your browse to do it encryption in the decrepit because that's software control of the sight the bennington encryption say you should only be using free software to do that because that way it can be studied carefully by experts to make sure it really works reliably and safely but in addition when that program is free software it means that no one company in a position to do something nasty but security as we understand it needs to include security against the developer of any program and only free for can do that well but that means you shouldn't be using encryption and description software provided to you when in a oh no you have to use a free encryption and description program that installed into your machine so that all the various apes and sights can use it and that way they can be interprete solution for the interpretation for your freedom but serially programs to you and choose which one and then we can choose free encryption programs and the work interpretations really turn out this way we are probably going to have to push for it but properly understood if you understand what secure and end encryption means then you rosetted of interruptedly it's the friend of using the same secure free encryption programs for every service or or communication program about a year ago a service dacoit appeared if you add one letter to it it becomes copilot and that's exactly what it does really it is a peasant copy a various pieces various snipped so cold without knowing worthy come from and it turns out that it is easy to copy substantial parts of preprogrammed or non freeborn infringe copyright and not even realize what's happening now the fact that is easy to copy a lot of cold whether it's fotherington text editor will let you copy a big hunk of code from one file and put it in another the difference about copilot is that it will just do that for you because it thinks that's what because you know uses machine learning in it shows you what you what it thinks you might want there and it's so easy to copy that without knowing what you're doing and without checking the license you know what if you're copying cod for a spiced program into a program under a push over weak license a and you could submit that as a change and you've now misliked and you caused a potential legal problem for the project your contributing to and some kind of systematic solution is needed for this but it's not that it copies it's that it makes it tecora people to copy without asking where am i getting this for things like this the solution generally has to be to put in a step where it tells you where you're good get something and what you need to know about it and ask you is this something that i can more fully do is it something within the criteria of the project in trying to commit to now this brings up the issue of copyright papers some of the norris in a we have four hundred or so nutpicks and some of them are copyright foreshore foundation which means the contributors signed papers to assign copyright to the effect because in some ways that's better it means now the ffacase by alain's of the gifted instead of your having to do so yourself but it's a bit of it a little bit of work we made it a lot easier utmost done basically electronically and it doesn't take very long and i'd like to thank contributors for signing these papers and helping us do this in service purpose to once in a while it's useful to change the license of a piece of free coat for instance suppose it turns out that it's really useful for a certain piece of cod to go into some application which is under saterlee expectations you know that piece of cold would be very useful in other places well if all the contributors to that cold have assigned to the fifth fennellcourt weak pushover license and so can contribute to that particular package we obviously wouldn't want to do this too often but sometimes it's good for the community to do it and sometimes we want to put in exception permitting linking say bad for instance if you ever compiled anything with jess that's probably linked with the library called ling which contains conceptually trivial things that just support some of language constructs you don't mention them by name in your program but your program may need them if you're doing as she plus plus i think some method look up routines will be in there so in order to put some cold into there we we need to permit none freeport to compile with jessie just not that we think those non free programs deserve any co operation but if you couldn't use piled them she sees would not be very useful so that's what i decided to do this back in nineteen eighty nine or so so bad we needn't want to put some cold into there and that means we have to add an exception giving the permission to use it in a certain way the cold and lisander the pie but you have a special permission to link it in with anything else well if you design a copyright weak and make that kind of change there are some people don't want to do that and so i sommers is started using something called a cow which has had easterton of code origin and its acute but it doesn't it doesn't it very sloppy so i decided to work on an improved thesaurus it will not enable us to re license but it will give a firmer footing for things like registering the copyright on the program and so the idea of the dais to make a clear whose assigning what and make it each piece of cod has contributed his sin for by its contributor by its developer not by a third party who contributes it but by whoever wrote it percellye author of that cold will sign for it and this gives us a firmer but in in terms of copyright so that it at mosolente to day and since i always tell some puns in these talks i give you a couple of them first rich human bond is formed over soup it brotherly love i wish i could see before laughing and when is it possible to convert a cracker into a soup when it took biskits now it's time for your questions so i guess i should look a big blue button right to see the questions yes i will be pasting them in gratitood to keep a couple of questions in the buffer to overlap operations can you come reconnoitering ruinously party and then run on servers by parties better is that what happens clytemnestra shall satiate vague and in general i don't try to judge these kinds of questions for me waited in vague abstract ways i think that's the wrong way to do to judge it will get you bad answers to enver important to look at some concrete examples and judge them ethically and once you judge several examples ethically you can start maybe to see a pattern you can try to generalize from those examples but so i need nenbutsu of these instances of self sabotage how about it to people who are bringing this up type in a description of one or two examples and when they're ready you can paste the men and in the meantime i will turn to the next question i have you ever considered that copyright trade market satrapies by the way that's incorrect copyright and trade more are not similar at all and i do not generalize about the period the copyright is but it's not monopolization of ideas copyright in the u s explicitly does not cover any idea it covers details of expression of a work of authorship to please don't ever say that idea has been copyrighted you be confused and you would confuse the discussion that follows but copyright covering works and monopolizing the use of the concanens of those works is very similar to the enclosure weasands was basically separat is vicious in a similar way when it used to stop people from sharing now i am not against copyright one hundred per cent i think it's legitimate for there to be copyright and for its cover commercial distribution and use of oak and to cover modification publicly visible modification of the work however non commercial redistribution of exact copies should be allowed for any published work now not for private personal data but for published works yes and then some words the works that exist to be used not just look at thought about contemplated but appreciated now the works that are meant to be used by each person but those need to be free solferino should be free recipe should be free of patterns for showing clothing should be free a clarification of the for the note i beseeched his program to make it remove the files of any one from russia if they run it and it was a ottawas a practised in many programs so i it sounds like none i preciates a sort of library that was included in other frogmore the answer comes up resisting that was really nasty that changed to leading people's files as really nasty and it's not as if it stietencron you know this could be anybody in russia could be anybody in beausobre want him gone but there so being punished so that was not a good thing to do it's not a good thing to broadcastin in the hat would a carstares on of the p prevent the code for use of the cold for training on the asses much like the current version of the perverted from being used in non free programs on legally donation copyright law and the things it regulates are sins the copyright copyright law says you need permission for the patages the ganabara doesn't and suppose you download a program in star to you and you have a copy of it well the spell must do anything to you i it doesn't deny you freedom to do anything it's just the opposite it gives you permission to do things which by before our prohibited and that's possible because we're talking about copying of various sorts copying wither without modification compilation is a kind of cup it's making a modified version yasodhara things that require other permission legally under copyright war so he plays yet you have permission anybody has permission under these conditions which is much more permissive than copyright will itself will you i don't think you need any permission to run a program for a particular purpose like training in a ysobel i don't think it is conceivable or a free license to restrict draining the a and not only that of the i and the program making examples for it to look at at communicating at arm's length it might be hard to decide whether such a condition even applied so i don't think we can solve the problems of a system that way are there any plans teach newspapers at the to talk about not only technical issues but as philosophical issues well i don't know if there is a plan for any sort of class but if you want to learn to do that you can learn it's basically a matter of studying the ideas having a lot of discussion is with people who are taking the idea seriously and raising questions to be thought about and practicing speaking now there's an organ there is or at least there was an organization cottagers which is dedicated to teaching people better public speaking they have clubs join one of the clubs and every so often you give it tanerton found it quite helpful i already it had quite a bit of practice so i was already pretty good but i learned something from them from participating in toastmaster's and i also found it a lot of fun so if you want to become a speaker about the ideas of restore you've got to start doing it you know find a group of friends find some club near you were they like it if people will give it to from time to time and try it and make a recording and have other free software activists look there recording and give you suggestions of course when you're giving suggestions and criticisms to people make a gentle because sometimes people are very scared of public speaking don't make the speaker regret having spoken it you trying to be helpful so i this is actually very important but i don't know if there's a way to organize it i think that it's something that you need to do on your own but if you'll become good at this please get in touch so that we cannot give you give a talk and if you're good we could put you in our speakers list what you think about free software communities strategic capacity that is the ability to make strategies against non free software well that's very abstract or i can say is it sounds like a good thing but can we do it i don't know what we don't have a large number of followers who will make go to goosefoot to carry out our strategy if we get only convince more people to reject certain programs because their bed for freedom we would be a lot more powerful but as you as you see around you we don't have a lot of people who will carry out a strategy which means the effectiveness of the strategy like that is not going to be that high what do you think about computer quainted so called quoters unquote of wood more free games be beneficial for the liberal world well first of all i don't think there's anything bad about playing a game and on unless the game is not free that is bad for you if you play it but typically these games are not solitary you playing with other people and using the non free program together with other people that's particularly bad because it means that those people are pressing each other to keep running that non free program whenever a non free program generates that kind of effect were where it user is pressured by all the other uses to continue doing something that's bad for you but that's something that that makes all of them ethically responsible for pressure others which was you really should stop on now more free games well it's it doesn't satisfy in urgent need obviously another game might be fun might be interesting it might even be beautiful conceivably but it's not but it doesn't satisfy you immediate practical need however that that doesn't but does mean it isn't you can't be a good thing booats works are contribution to human culture even though none of them satisfies a practical need but the crucial thing is free one might make it easier for some people to say let's move off this nonresident is free so we can have the same pleasure but without paying freedom as the price and by the way or any one who plays mineralist mind test mine test is a free game similar to mine craft utan be very sentineled code be rewritten under what conditions we bienseant the po but well yes we vereeniging is todoros one you want to figure find out the methods that are used to do some difficult thing the other is you want to be compatible with it you want to write coat will do that same job and be compatible with the other things people use and of course when you do that something we need in order to write more free software you want to have a free program to do some secret job how do you know how to write it if you don't know what the job is to be done well you can find that out by reverse engineering some down free program that does that job and yes i can be done lawfully but you should find out what the rules are and it depends on where you are however the european union as if yuetshi says that it's lawful to reverse engineer but to make something that is interpersonal its okada and you should talk with a lawyer for advice about how to take repertation about permissive licenses but well republications followed most people think that there is a blister isn't there are at least two different slices and the difference is very important the original best license is a serious problem because it has an annoying advertising requirement which is incompatible with the p s you should reject programs that are under the original beliefs they are very few of them ever since i convinced you severely to move all its program to the revised basins which doesn't have that in inverting coats so the revised bless not a particular problem is to compatible it a push over license that's true but that's not that doesn't do harm it just fails to do good so by all means you can use the code that released on the revision linklater's no reason you should hesitate to do those things and then the question was batallions but that's a misnomer as actually to slightly different lines one of them is the excellence and the other is the experience nostrums that you slightly different licenses richard why we gave them two different names to me i just couldn't read resist to ancient ashes mafuta paper money in you mix it with certain solves and headed up eventually become sort of mush and the car starts to us that's what i was eating so please don't talk about them it lies for the details of all these things look in generalises slash license this list that time and it explains the significant differences of course not being populated is a very important difference populations such as the gauge the freedom of all users of all versions of the coat the pushioned that people choose those pushover licenses because her they been convinced it's not nice to say no to anybody especially not to a big company how how could you not be kind to a big company i think it's easy i think it's perfectly fine to tell a big popayan to redistribute my code you better respect uses freedom when you do but as one major difference but there are other differences the usual permission wives the ones that are compatible with the noche generally don't do anything particularly bad if they did they wouldn't be compatible with the p there are some other licenses which do have slightly problematical requirements that are incompatible such as the original basilicas you'll see a low large number of examples and minuteness did or frozen no because it isn't really an account they are coins that carry signatures to show their valid but they are not associated with you you're the one happens to have them but they're not in any way had as being yours so there's no way to act to stop you from spending them what do you think can be done by the free software community or the steps hardware manufactures towards producing new he broadwell first cook what can we do to get them to stop putting in hardware back doors to snoop on people or even sabotage them well we would need to organize politically we would need to have to be so numerous and that if we told the politician or a don't let companies do this sort of thing because it gets people freedom and security that they would listen that the politician would listen we need to be so numerous that if we wrote to inter and for i think while so i can't remember its name but if he wrote to one of those professions saying don't put this nasty stuff in the company would start to get scared this is a long distance away but we can start growing the proper foundation right now i simply joined become a member or more members we have the more we shall wetmore people we show we stand for i am not a programme at all but i would like to support the development of free software what's the best way to contribute to that these days well you could doneated stuff you like and that is looking for though nations that's if you want to but a donation but you can also donate your time now obviously if you're not a programmer you're not going to spend your time writing code but there are other things projects can use especially for instance if you are good at writing english text right documentation to explain how to use programs if you want to become an expert on user interface you could give user interface advice to free programs that would be useful so what do you think about croquet and block chain technologies as as love free software i can't replace banking systems and other third party i don't think so bad and there are things i don't like about crioceris the ones that are practical to day is out i don't think it's good that the pay is anonymous because that makes it easy to hide wealth and even taxes and that is a tremendous global problem you may have followed the news about scandals as data from banks is a weak various banks there is one witchingest ly before that there was panamanian there was some caribbean island but we find out people rich people are buying property in anonymous secret ways so it doesn't get tax and the sentient away with stealing it and some effort is being made to make that harder now because russian billionaires were discovered to be doing this of course but it's not just the masons from any country that want to impoverish the rest of society so what we really need to do is changed the legal systems that make it possible to own property and not tell the government who really owns it aside from that guarantees are not anonymous enough with big one you know you don't have to say it belongs to but all the transactions can be traced and so often that some one can figure out a coat information is all public someone could figure out who is the actual owner of that wallet now with power on the par is anonymous the past identify itself retraction and so tolerant be used to hide well however power is power is a really anonymous for the peer there is no way the developers are quite confident there's no way to figure out from powers who made the payment now if you're talking to a website you've got to check the rest of the system for purchasing to make sure it really is anonymous may be you'll have to make the purchase to retort and of course the sight should not send any jobs because dabster information what do you think of tresfarwin and non free languages well it was three different things obviously if there is no free complying then that's a problem for every program written in that language and you generally shouldn't use that language shouldn't be using the non freebooter's another reason to avoid the programs written in that language you can't combine them in the free world at least now dere is threatened possible causes of bananaland one is if it's patented well if the patent holder is really trying to stop all free copies from being written that is extremely anti social behavior but what of the only existing compliers weedin that situation when i started developing the noise she had only not free compliers so i wrote a free compiler and it had sent for life under pier that is very hard to build well a chart for me to comment about a situation i don't fully understand but maybe you can modify it to be easier to build but basically program that written in a language we don't have a free compiler for we call tracks there was a time when there was no frequenter job and that was a big problem and we are people not to write their cotinga but we also urge people to work on a free complied and now draw is not grace and most programs written in johore not trap joe i forgot to put it in my list of topics to cover but were about to take a step forward in documentation i have written a manual for the nose on the effect of his going to publish it in a not too terribly long now or why do i say it some manual for benoit does not try to describe the standard because that would be tremendously complicated and tremendously hard to use it's not just that there are a lot of details in the estada it's extremely its ripeness of abstractions but instead of telling you what the program means it tells you what the program is permitted to mean so you need to think a atascadero level to make sense of the sea standard waterpot of this manual is to enable people to learn see and also to enable them to look up the details of what she constructs mean it starts with an introduction that i think watercart people who know programming in some other language and an essential of wrinkles and more complex rules but i tried to express them in ways that make it easier to understand see programming and part of what enabled me to do that it is forgetting about the standard tchoosie standard i iwillie quote conforming unquote if you specify certain options which you don't actually have to specify but by only describing what joes and not on the other possible things some other compromit do without violating the standard it makes the manual much support clearer so i hope that once this manuel has settled down people into togather languages that are more or less of the same category for instance i think it wouldn't be terribly hard to modify the use manual to get a job of manual to what areas do you think the free software community could have a role in limiting the damaged gun to the planet well i know one way were directly relevant landales as at of west and particularly produces lots of waste for manufacturing the new devices to be sold to people who have just suffered planned opalescence youth is a lot of energy and a lot of material resources so refer is exactly the thing to help people keep using the same device for longer nomination consequence of being in a community where individuals have more control over what they do and that is very important itself but it also enables people to be less wasteful there not under continuousness as will direct you into wasteful consumption because since profitable for them and if they have less influence over you you can stay away from the wasteful consumption before what do you think about it that general documentation of the gnosis but something that should explain the tootooch do use a system and they mentioned the debarred manual i don't know what the devil and reference manual is distinctive in directly from deboutin sure what quote dean reference manuque means could some one explain maybe i could be modified so as to serve as a tree scalene manual the thing is the boys contains lots of programs even is a varied of the gnosis and since it uses leosthenes casters a reference manual for deviation particular variant of guasima be those others that are fairly similar could use the same one but it partly as a moderate whether you try to document you of the command line or use of a graphical interface bob the command in if you're using bashes the shallows pretty similar regardless of what districts we already have ashman and we have a manual for some commands for using the command one however these manuals could be improved by focusing on your categories for instance the batsman could be improved because currently it groups features under the conceptual level of which they operate like a shell programming constructs a buildin but those are matter how something is implemented we really want grocers in terms of what you're thinking about when you want to use one so ticking of sin you be doing then describe in that and in the chapter for that one shall features that are pertinent to that i think that would make a manual that easier to read that's how i would ragenaire reading it now but those changes can be fitted in any way documenting graphical inter faces is a different kind of problem and the reason is there not coherent at the death top i use is called mate and do i see windows having multiple different styles i don't know why but these are programs written by different projects but if they were all coherent which is one of the things that the maintainer and most others have not been able to follow but you know having a consistent user interface concept but going through everything that would be a really good either too many instances of adopting technology for your non free just to be a participant in to day's society well i don't know i'm not completely sure what that means be a participant does that mean running not free jobson with some organization well that's usually a matter of a very practical reason rather than to be a participant i'm not quite sure what to be rust to be a participant means does that mean using an you know a sumptuaria medium raptor because lots of people do you know i can guess it when something is very abstract like this i can guess at what it might mean but i don't know what it does mean is it a good idea to centralize copyright power of so many free software projects over a single entity even if the swell oh we know that the is in a much better position to go after violators than most individuals are so it's a good thing but also aside from the copyright themselves there is the issue of grading the licence unless you believe that your licenses perfect and will never need changing its crucial to have a license of grade path you know we had sported for something like the round thirteen years and then i concluded that there were not things that needed to be changed that we had to make a version three and there's a list in intergatories there's a page which lifts the reasons there many things that needed changing to its right a looker in upgrade path but if you're accepting changes from monopole if you don't do any you don't do anything to centralize the copyright then you end up with say five hundred contributors and how you going to get them to agree to a grade to another version the say twenty years later how you going to even find them will they still be alive we have to go find their airs to get permission to winter could you find them so but if you are not if you're glad that you're not working when you powerson then you've got to be glad we made in a great past will wear to a white you so reproved conference of war you think there's marian reverencing a free software client with intractability for some teams et cetera oh absolutely that would be a big advance how hard it is i don't know in general reverse engineering is not the easiest thing in the world to do so by all means do it if you can and you know talk with the lawyer first it makes a difference which country in her might be a particular country which is the best place to do it so i think it's time to finish up so i'd like to thank people once again or i joining my talk and to wish all of you happy hacking thank you are mestayer one nathan please volunteer for the new graces join the free software foundation

* Re: RMS speech transcript
@ 2022-04-29 20:33 ` Devin Ulibarri
From: Devin Ulibarri @ 2022-04-29 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Hi,

On 4/19/22 14:58, Andy Tai wrote:
> This was machine generated via Mozilla DeepSpeech (
> https://deepspeech.readthedocs.io/en/r0.9/?badge=latest)
> and probably needs manual editing to correct errors and to be properly
> formatted.
>
> As attached

I added it to
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2022/Transcripts/RMS-state-of-free-software

It is currently unedited.

Please feel free to add any transcripts to folders under
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2022/Transcripts/
and link to them from that page.

Thanks for helping to get the ball rolling on this!

Best,
Devin

--
Devin Ulibarri // Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Free Software Foundation

Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org/

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through
the Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/

GPG Key: 2E0E CE75 F816 2B40 7D66 6767 8797 38E6 D644 0D57
What's GPG? See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ for more info.