* People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?
@ 2022-05-17 15:52 andrew via libreplanet-discuss
From: andrew via libreplanet-discuss @ 2022-05-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Andrew  Would https://git.andrewyu.org/pygame-multiplayer/ suffice to indicate extending an existing Expat (MIT) project into a project based on the original work but licensed under the (A)GPL?
Andrew  ugh, forgot to place the agpl in it
ChrisWarrick    ask a lawyer
ChrisWarrick    (and consider a less evil license)
Andrew  Not asking for legal advice, just general practice
Andrew  And I don't consider the GPLs to be evil, I use  them for bigger projects while I use public domain (unlicense) for smaller ones
ChrisWarrick    licenses are legal stuff, so you are asking for legal advice
Andrew  asking stuff like 'does the US have any laws' is legal but isn't asking for legal advice imo
ChrisWarrick    your question is “am I interpeting and using the license correctly”
Andrew  i guess
Andrew  and why do you think the gpl is evil?
ChrisWarrick    GPL, and especially AGPL, makes your code less free than MIT/BSD
nedbat  Andrew: this is a classic debate
Andrew  ChrisWarrick: PM me, thanks
Andrew  because I want to prevent people from proprietizing it
ChrisWarrick    but at the same time, you’re benefitting from Brandon Nguyen’s work
Andrew  yes
ChrisWarrick    but he isn’t able to benefit from yours
Andrew  they could use the AGPL/GPL, and they could ask me for an exception
Andrew  the greater danger is people taking expat code and proprietizing it, hindering free use altogether
ChrisWarrick    what is wrong with proprietary use though?
Andrew  i'll get back to you with an article tomorrow, thanks on your thoughts
Andrew  meanwhile, https://lukesmith.xyz/articles/why-i-use-the-gpl-and-not-cuck-licenses explains part of it
Andrew  dont agree to all of it, i see a lot of use of permissive licenses, but not for the project working on now
ChrisWarrick    do you have a less offensive article?
Andrew  I'm working on that
ChrisWarrick    okay

I hope this is clear enough on what I need ... well, how do I explain
the GPL to them?

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: People calling the GPLs 'evil licenses' - action plan?
@ 2022-05-17 16:20 ` wolftune
From: wolftune @ 2022-05-17 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

This is the hypocritical version of the two anti-copyleft positions. The non-hypocritical is the one that opposes proprietary software but also dislikes copyleft limitations. Such as the copyfree.org angle. That's a principled but somewhat extreme position like anarchy, opposing all government regulations of creativity.

This Chris person is making a stupid argument. He's saying that it's perfectly fine to block anyone from doing anything with some software by using a proprietary license but it's somehow evil to permit software freedoms via GPL. Graciously pointing out the hypocrisy is a good step. Just say, "if you think it's okay for me to use a *proprietary* license, what's wrong with using copyleft to *allow* people *more* freedom than the proprietary licenses?"

Chris is asking to have it both ways. He's asking to assert that expat license is more free and freedom is good *and* that proprietary terms are fine. If he cares about freedom, he shouldn't be okay with proprietary terms. If he's okay with proprietary terms than he isn't focused on freedom and shouldn't mind GPL whether or not it's free in his view. Focus on that issue and skip the debate about which of expat or GPL is more free.

@ 2022-05-17 21:27 ` Dennis Payne
From: Dennis Payne @ 2022-05-17 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, libreplanet-discuss

Having one person consider GPL an evil license isn't a big deal. I
wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to convert him. Nor would I send
them a link to long essay explaining the situation. wolftune's argument
is the simplest. However since you already sent him an offensive
article, I doubt any argument will have much effect at this point.

@ 2022-05-18  2:15   ` Aaron Wolf
From: Aaron Wolf @ 2022-05-18  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss, Dennis Payne, andrew

FWIW, as a link anyone can use, I put together this some years ago, aiming to be fair and neutral enough while advocating copyleft:

https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/about/licenses

That's probably the ideal link to share in this  case IMHO

   [1]https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/about/licenses
   That's probably the ideal link to share in this case IMHO

   On May 17, 2022 2:27:30 PM PDT, Dennis Payne
   <dulsi@identicalsoftware.com> wrote:

Having one person consider GPL an evil license isn't a big deal. I
wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to convert him. Nor would I send
them a link to long essay explaining the situation. wolftune's argument
is the simplest. However since you already sent him an offensive
article, I doubt any argument will have much effect at this point.
On Tue, 2022-05-17 at 23:52 +0800, andrew via libreplanet-discuss
wrote:

     Andrew  Would
     [2]https://git.andrewyu.org/pygame-multiplayer/ suffice to
     [3]https://lukesmith.xyz/articles/why-i-use-the-gpl-and-not-cuck-lic
     enses
      explains part of it
     Andrew  dont agree to all of it, i see a lot of use of permissive
     licenses, but not for the project working on now
     ChrisWarrick    do you have a less offensive article?
     Andrew  I'm working on that
     ChrisWarrick    okay
     I hope this is clear enough on what I need ... well, how do I
     explain
     the GPL to them?

References

@ 2022-05-18 16:26     ` Jim Garrett