* Re: Help with JavaScript
@ 2019-03-21 21:48 Arthur Torrey
From: Arthur Torrey @ 2019-03-21 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csh, libreplanet-discuss

Suggestion on the ham thing from a non-ham...  Look up "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" - it is an Ubuntu derived distro with every decent ham related Free / Open program he could find and make work, plus the standard utilities with a focus on being 'older hardware useful'...

He is a long time ham, and in addition to maintaining the distro, has taken over maintainer duties for some programs that were otherwise abandoned, and has also created a few Linux programs to enable use of ham hardware that the manufacturer had only made software for that other O/S - I don't know if it would be 'Free' by Richards standards, as he basically works with whatever info about how to talk to the stuff that the manufacturer is willing to give him...  I think it includes some of the 'fox-hunt' transmitters, and some programmable radios...

He is a 'name' in the ham world for his distro, at least as I understand it.

Andy also runs a Linux Meetup in Chelmsford, MA if that is local for you...

ART
------------------
Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
-------------------

<Much trimmed original message>
Message: 1
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:41:40 -0500
From: Cal <csh@bluehome.net>
To: libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Help with JavaScript

I can send messages to website maintainers all day telling them that
their site doesn't work without (non-free) JavaScript, but they don't
help me use the site/program/service.

Stuff that's hard to do:

5. Preparing for a ham radio license (practice materials are only on
the Web, it seems)

* Andy's Hamradio Linux
@ 2019-03-21 23:01 ` Dave Hunt
From: Dave Hunt @ 2019-03-21 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

   Looks interesting; think I'll check it out; thanks!

   I already have chirp for programming my handheld, and qtel for
   echolink. Have been curious re: what to use for psk and SDR.  I used to
   be primarilly a CW op, but probably have lost the top end of my copying
   speed; Curious how I'll do with the practice app.  Glad to know all
   this software is out there and free (as in freedom).

   See Y'all at Libreplanet,

   Dave  Hunt  WX1G

   On 3/21/19 5:48 PM, Arthur Torrey wrote:

Suggestion on the ham thing from a non-ham...  Look up "Andy's Ham Radio Linux"
- it is an Ubuntu derived distro with every decent ham related Free / Open progr
am he could find and make work, plus the standard utilities with a focus on bein
g 'older hardware useful'...

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Help with JavaScript
@ 2019-03-22  0:18 ` Thomas Harding
From: Thomas Harding @ 2019-03-22  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Debian hamradio is still maintained too, as a dedicated distro as a packages set, and offers free/non-free/contrib insulation, in opposite to ubuntu (derived) distros :

https://packages.debian.org/stable/hamradio/

Le 21 mars 2019 22:48:18 GMT+01:00, Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net> a écrit :
>Suggestion on the ham thing from a non-ham...  Look up "Andy's Ham
>Radio Linux" - it is an Ubuntu derived distro with every decent ham
>related Free / Open program he could find and make work, plus the
>standard utilities with a focus on being 'older hardware useful'...
>
>He is a long time ham, and in addition to maintaining the distro, has
>taken over maintainer duties for some programs that were otherwise
>abandoned, and has also created a few Linux programs to enable use of
>ham hardware that the manufacturer had only made software for that
>other O/S - I don't know if it would be 'Free' by Richards standards,
>as he basically works with whatever info about how to talk to the stuff
>that the manufacturer is willing to give him...  I think it includes
>some of the 'fox-hunt' transmitters, and some programmable radios...
>
>He is a 'name' in the ham world for his distro, at least as I
>understand it.
>
>Andy also runs a Linux Meetup in Chelmsford, MA if that is local for
>you...
>
>ART
>------------------
>Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
>-------------------
>
><Much trimmed original message>
>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:41:40 -0500
>From: Cal <csh@bluehome.net>
>To: libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
>Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Help with JavaScript
>
>I can send messages to website maintainers all day telling them that
>their site doesn't work without (non-free) JavaScript, but they don't
>help me use the site/program/service.
>
>Stuff that's hard to do:
>
>5. Preparing for a ham radio license (practice materials are only on
>the Web, it seems)

Je suis née pour partager, non la haine, mais l'amour.
Sophocle, /Antigone, 442 av. JC

* Re: Help with JavaScript
@ 2019-03-22  3:33   ` Dave Hunt
From: Dave Hunt @ 2019-03-22  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

   Thank you; I think I'd prefer to use the Debian Hamradio distro.

   --Dave  WX1G