From: Msavoritias <marinus.savoritias@disroot.org>
To: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
Cc: "Adrien Bourmault (neox on Freenode)" <neox@os-k.eu>,
	libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Matrix communication protocol.
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 22:41:07 +0200	[thread overview]

How is Matri not Free Software though? Apache-2 is Free Software by the
FSF.

Also this review fails to mention how Matrix has been growing this year
expotentially.
<https://www.hello-matrix.net/public_servers.php>
There are already a lot of servers and growing. Gnome and purism and
Kde have their own instances outside of this too.

Also here is the list of at least 5 servers alternative to synapse.
<https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now>
Plus Matrix is working on p2p. So you won't need a server.
<https://matrix.org/blog/posts#dept-of-p2p->

Also the encryption has been through security audits:
<https://matrix.org/blog/2016/11/21/matrixs-olm-end-to-end-encryption-security-assessment-released-and-implemented-cross-platform-on-riot-at-last>
And they want to upgrade it:
<https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-doc/issues/2458>

I'm not arguing that it is better than Omemo. But it is good encryption
with future upgrades.

I really don't get about Matrix not being Free Software though. Gnu
Specifically says Apache 2 is Free Software.
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2>

If you mean the integrations somehow, that are optional then I ahve
some news for you about Firefox.

MSavoritias