From: Msavoritias <marinus.savoritias@disroot.org>
To: Denver Gingerich <denver@ossguy.com>
Cc: Adonay Felipe Nogueira <adfeno@hyperbola.info>,
	libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Matrix communication protocol.
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 21:51:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Conversations is badly designed. I am talking from experience trying
for people to adopt it.
Every other client listed on this page:
<https://xmpp.org/software/clients.html> for android is basically with
design from twenty years ago.
There doesn't seem to be new clients popping up. for mobile at least.
In contrast Matrix <https://matrix.org/clients/> has a lot of new
clients with active development.

I checked. It does have some development. Which seems interesting
considering the stagnation of clients for mobile.

Its not the problem of something Conversations are missing. Although it
misses a lot of stuff. Like stickers and widgets.
The thing is that every client I installed had different capabilities
entirely. It made sense when I read the phylosophy behind XMPP and
Matrix though. Matrix wants to be ,from my perspective, a coherent
standard. One piece. XMPP is more modular. Which explains the
fragmentation in the XMPP ecosystem.

That''s true. It is still in heavy development. It does have though at
least 4 server implementations that I know of. Some of them are
lightweight. One of them by matrix.org themselves as a planeed rewrite
for the slow current server.
Also bear in mind that the Goverment of France, and the Goverment of
Germany along with some other providers. Also Kde and Gnome have moved
there. Matrix is here to stay.