From: Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
To: libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
Subject: Dropbox vs. Linux
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 19:46:15 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I am not a Dropbox user, so don't know a huge amount about it...  However a friend was just posting that apparently DropBox is dropping their support for most of Linux - according to the SlashDot thing he linked to, DropBox is only going to support files from non-encrypted Ext4 file systems...

He was wondering about alternatives....

I pointed him at OwnCloud and a few others I found by searching for DropBox in the FSF Free Software Directory, but any other suggestions?

I will say that I am a bit perplexed by the description of what DropBox is supposedly doing.  My understanding has always been that all the file handling was done by the O/S (Gnu/Linux or other) in a transparent manner - you (a program) requests read/write on a file and the O/S handles it through the file system driver such that it always looks the same to the requester...  If so, how how would DropBox even know what file system you were using, let alone care???

(Of course I've never understood why you would want to store your files on other people's computers to begin with, but that is a separate issue....)

ART