From: Aspasia Beneti <aspra@dyne.org>
To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Can we licence our Clojure (Eclipse Public License 1.0) project with the GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 16:49:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear all,

I am pretty new with all the software licensing so please excuse my ignorance.

We are on the making of an open source software written in Clojure namely https://github.com/PIENews/freecoin. We want to ensure that it is used openly by the community and will be secured from been used for commercial purposes. We have licensed our software under the GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3, 19 November 2007. However it was brought to our attention that GPL and EPL are incompatible (are they?) and Clojure is licensed with EPL. I think it gets a bit more complicated cause Clojure is a lisp which runs on the JVM. Clojure has macros that will expand code if not precompiled and I also noticed that the JVM brings other matters on the table like https://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html

Do you have any advice on what is the best way to go in our case? And what kind of risks we could run into?

Thanks a lot!

Aspasia Beneti aka aspra
Dyne.org Think & Do tank
Lead software developer of the Freecoin toolkit
GPG: 204F 8156 8C0E 0600 E17C  001B 58D2 05D8 7EE4 D9F4