unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
From: "Румен Петров" <transl@roumenpetrov.info>
To: "libc-alpha@sourceware.org" <libc-alpha@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: warning: internationalized messages should not contain the '\v' escape sequence
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 16:09:25 +0200	[thread overview]

Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 12.01.2020 12:59 Румен Петров <transl@roumenpetrov.info> wrote:
>> During the check of 2.30.9000 translation I note again above warning. In
>> Bulgarian tab is it is translated as new line.
>>
>> Please could you update original text to be gettext compliant.
>
> According to the documentation it is:
>
>     "A descriptive string about this program; if it contains a
>      vertical tab character (\v), the part after it will be
>      printed *following* the options"

Hmm interesting, I cannot see in
https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html .

> which means that character is necessary in this place and should
> be preserved by translators.  What kind of warning can you see?

Please see mail subject, i.e. warning: internationalized messages should
not contain the '\v' escape sequence.

> Is it OK if we just ignore the warning?

:) Warning is warning. Question when warning is supposed to block a
process is out of scope to this thread.

Let me quite gettext manual (see url above):
Another example is the ‘argp’ convention to use a single ‘\v’ (vertical
tab) control character to delimit two sections inside a string. This is
flawed. Some translators may convert it to a simple newline, some to
blank lines. With some PO file editors it may not be easy to even enter
a vertical tab control character. So, you cannot be sure that the
translation will contain a ‘\v’ character, at the corresponding
position. The solution is, again, to let the translator translate two
separate strings and combine at run-time the two translated strings with
the ‘\v’ required by the convention.

> Regards,
>
> Rafal

Regards,