On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, Zack Weinberg wrote: > On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:00 AM Carlos O'Donell wrote: > > > > On 3/13/19 6:16 PM, Joseph Myers wrote: > > > I'm seeing failures from build-many-glibcs.py for > > > resource/check-obsolete-constructs: > > > > > > UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 3198: ordinal not in range(128) > > > > > > This is with LC_ALL=C (and bits/resource.h headers containing UTF-8 µ in a > > > comment). > > This did not happen in my build-many-glibcs run, possibly because I’m > running it in a UTF-8 locale. Should build-many-glibcs perhaps be > setting LC_ALL=C for all subprocesses? The argument that it shouldn't is that it can be run it any valid build environment, and glibc should build and test independent of the user's locale - individual parts of the build should set the locale where needed (whether to build or pass tests at all, or to achieve results that are independent of the user's locale, e.g. when sorting data). (So someone could reasonably run build-many-glibcs.py in different locales and compare the results, to test whether the build is properly locale-independent, for example.) -- Joseph S. Myers joseph@codesourcery.com