On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:43 PM Joseph Myers wrote: > > On Wed, 5 Dec 2018, Florian Weimer wrote: > > > We have a parallel discussion about a new requirement that all new > > functions must have documentation in the manual. I don't know what will > > come out of that. > > It's not a new requirement at all. Documenting new interfaces was added > to on > 2012-04-17. > > There are questions about the details of when some function might be > excluded from being documented (such as if it's part of a family of > functions none of which are documented yet), and of how much documentation > should be included for a Linux-specific function whose main semantics > *are* to pass its arguments through to a Linux kernel syscall (but even > there you should document the argument and return types, error and > cancellation handling, what header declares the function under what > feature test macros - everything that is not part of the syscall interface > - even if one might link to external freely-licensed documentation of > exactly what the syscall does). But the basic principle that new > functions should be documented, in the absence of an explicitly stated > reason that documenting a given function is problematic, seems clear > enough - just like the principle that a new function should have test > coverage (in the absence of stated justification of being hard to test), > and that a new function needs a reason to be architecture-specific, for > example. > > In this case, the proposed function has a prototype *different* from that > for the syscall, which makes it especially clear that documentation is > needed. I added an entry to manual/process.texi. > (The NEWS entry also needs to state that this function is Linux-specific.) > Fixed. Here is the updated patch. -- H.J.