* Joseph Myers: > On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Florian Weimer wrote: > >> I'm looking for something far simpler here—a script that submitters and >> reviewers can run to see what's going to be committed, and some level of >> project consensus that this is how patches should be posted. > > I suggest that should be "git am", as an existing known format for email > patch submissions, for any case except where the patch has already been > committed (and really "git am" format could probably be used there as > well), the patch would be excessively large (whether because of large > generated files or otherwise) or the patch contains mixed character sets > which require it to be attached in compressed form to avoid it being > mangled. We can discuss details regarding e.g. scissors lines, but I > think we should still aim for patch submissions that are valid for "git > am" in some form - and in particular, that use "git am" markings to > separate the commit message from other remarks (e.g. differences between > revisions of the patch) that are not intended as part of the commit > message. I'm fine with “git am” input, as long as there is a reliable way to extract the commit, as it would be committed if you had a matching tree. I do not want to go hunting for the matching in every case, particularly for a series of patches. Do you think that the attached script might work? I don't want to invoke filterdiff in place of the awk script because filterdiff is known to garble some git-style patches: Thanks, Florian