unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
From: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@sourceware.org>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>, libc-alpha@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: POWER build failure due to scv instruction
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:55:37 -0300	[thread overview]

Florian Weimer via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> writes:

> This seems to happen with only some binutils versions.  Specifically, I
> see it with 4100e6999664833defb8ee038f75812d9b85f9c7 from
> binutils-2_35-branch, but oddly enough not with Fedora's 2.35.1-21.fc34
> version, which is why I haven't reported this so far.

I haven't seen this yet.
Using ".machine power9" in this code will require Binutils 2.27.

We already have other places doing the same thing and that's why I proposed
this patch:
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/patch/20201202225602.1085609-1-tuliom@linux.ibm.com/

I'm afraid that's too late for glibc 2.33, but I plan to submit it for 2.34.

> In any case, NEWS and INSTALL need to be updated with the appropriate
> binutils version requirement.  If scv instruction support is required,
> that would be 2.29, I think, but better double-check this.

That's indeed Binutils 2.27.
An alternative solution is to use a .long with the scv 0 instruction.

--
Tulio Magno