unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
* buildbot-worker vs buildslave
@ 2018-06-29 13:26 Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2018-06-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho, GLIBC Devel

Hi Tulio,

I just noticed that my update replaced buildslave with buildbot-worker.
They seem incompatible and the buildslave commands no longer seem to
work.  I haven't looked at how different it is from buildslave with
respect to communication with master, but thought I should give you a
heads up in case you are not already aware.

Siddhesh

* Re: buildbot-worker vs buildslave
@ 2018-06-29 20:20 ` Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
From: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho @ 2018-06-29 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar, GLIBC Devel

Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org> writes:

> I just noticed that my update replaced buildslave with buildbot-worker.

That's an ironic evolution with newer BuildBot releases.  :-)

> They seem incompatible and the buildslave commands no longer seem to
> work.  I haven't looked at how different it is from buildslave with
> respect to communication with master, but thought I should give you a
> heads up in case you are not already aware.

In my tests, I found out that we can update the master instance to a newer
version and have both BuildSlave and Worker instances plugged at the same
master instance.  There is at least some compatibility between them.

Anyway, I think it's time to update the master.
I already have plans to replace the current VM with a newer one, with a newer
distro and improving the setup.
This migration will likely require some changes to the settings too.
I think I can do that in July, but I need at least 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, you could continue to connect to the older instance with an
extra installation in a Python virtualenv, e.g.:

$ virtualenv buildbot-env
$ source buildbot-env/bin/activate
$ pip install --upgrade pip
$ pip install twisted==14.0.2
$ pip install buildbot-slave==0.8.9

I suggest to keep using the same versions used in our master instance:
http://glibc-buildbot.reserved-bit.com/about

After this, just create a new directory for this temporary instance (same name
and password).  Just remember to keep only one of them running.
We can kill this instance after updating the master server.

--
Tulio Magno