unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@gentoo.org>
Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com>,
	libc-alpha@sourceware.org,
	Adhemerval Zanella <adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org>,
	Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>,
	Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>,
	Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>,
	Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org>,
	Wilco Dijkstra <wilco.dijkstra@arm.com>,
	 caiyinyu <caiyinyu@loongson.cn>
Subject: Re: ☠ Buildbot (Sourceware): glibc-snapshots-trunk - failed compile (failure) (master)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:26:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, 2024-04-26 at 21:22 +1100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:

> > Maybe the simplest "solution" is turning --disable-encoding back on?
> > At least that seems to generate the same (boring ASCII only) INSTALL
> > file with both 7.0.3 and 7.1.
>
> Alternatively, we regenerate to 7.1 and call it the new baseline...
>
> [[I just checked and in Gentoo we even only have 7.1 left at the moment
> (though restoring the old version would be easy).]]

That works for me. The snapshot builder obviously (now) uses 7.1
already. And it would only really affect any release manager. Do we
have a page documenting the version of tools needed to make dist?

> Whatever we do with unicode will lead to failed checks somewhere then
> though.

Right. So we could also just decide the tools aren't really ready for
the new shiny unicode world yet and reintroduce --disable-encoding for
now and try again in a year or two for the INSTALL file.

Cheers,

Mark