Hi Paul, > On 3/11/19 11:58 PM, Lukasz Majewski wrote: > > The question is if there is a more suitable place than > > include/time.h header to have fits_in_time() reused by both Glibc > > and Gnulib? > Thanks for your patch. > Hmm, well, on further thought, fits_in_time_t can live in > include/time.h since only glibc will need it. Gnulib won't support > two kinds of time_t types, so it should't need the function. (The > attached patch renames it to "in_time_t_range" to avoid *_t > pollution.) Is the rewritten code correct? +/* Check whether T fits in time_t. */ +static inline bool +in_time_t_range (__time64_t t) +{ + time_t s = t; + return s != t; +} Shouldn't we have: return s == t; ? > > That being said, we will have to make a place for private .h code > shared between glibc and Gnulib, because include/time.h can't easily > be shared with Gnulib. I suggest using time/mktime-internal.h for this > ACK/NAK for using time/mktime-internl.h shall be done by more experienced glibc developer(s). > Some other comments on that patch that I noticed while looking into > this. > > The patch added duplicate "#include " lines to time/timegm.c. Ok. > > I still don't get why we need __timelocal64. Glibc code can use > __mktime64. User code shouldn't see that symbol. If we don't need it for this conversion, then we should omit it. I will add it if needed when preparing Y2038 patch set. In the time/mktime.c there is: weak_alias (mktime, timelocal), which makes the timelocal calls aliases to mktime for time_t 32 and 64 bit (for Y2038 the proper __REDIRECT will be added). > > Come to think of it, user code shouldn't see __time64_t either. Yes, > the name begins with two underscores so user code should avoid it, > posix/bits/types.hbut putting __time64_t in /usr/include will just > tempt users. It's easy to keep __time64_t out of /usr/include so > let's do that. > Is that the reason for removing __time64_t definition from posix/bits/types.h ? > The body of __mktime64 can be simplified; there's no need for locals > of type __time64_t, time_t, and struct tm. And it should use > in_time_t_range instead of doing it by hand. Yes. Also there is no need to check for EOVERFLOW in the __mktime64() function (as it operates inherently on 64 bit types). > > The bodies of mktime and timegm [__TIMESIZE != 64] should not pass tp > to __mktime64/__timegm64 directly, since *tp should not be updated if > the result is in __time64_t range but out of time_t range. And timegm > should use in_time_t_range instead of doing it by hand. > Ok. > The "#ifdef weak_alias" etc. lines can be removed now, since Gnulib > does this stuff OK now. > > timegm.c should include libc-config.h, not config.h, as this is the > current Gnulib style for code shared with Gnulib. > > Revised proposed patch attached. > Just out of curiosity: In the time/mktime-internal.h you added a comment regarding BeOS users and posix time_t - do you know any :-) ? Best regards, Lukasz Majewski -- DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de