git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: Philippe Blain <levraiphilippeblain@gmail.com>
Cc: "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <gitgitgadget@gmail.com>,
	"Git mailing list" <git@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Thomas Rast" <tr@thomasrast.ch>,
	"Eric Sunshine" <sunshine@sunshineco.com>,
	"René Scharfe" <l.s.r@web.de>
Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] doc: log, gitk: move '-L' description to 'line-range-options.txt'
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 10:29:25 -0700	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <xmqqmu02483u.fsf@gitster.c.googlers.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <C8539F4F-D51D-463B-825F-385AD743723E@gmail.com> (Philippe Blain's message of "Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:18:01 -0400")

Philippe Blain <levraiphilippeblain@gmail.com> writes:

>> Makes sense.  As to the conditional, I actually think the version
>> with SP after -L do not have to be listed and instead to show just
>> the "stuck" form as the standardised way.  If the option takes an
>> optional value, you must have to use the "stuck" form anyway, and
>> showing that you _could_ have SP there unnecessarily throws extra
>> bytes at the reader with no real gain.
>
> I'm not sure I understand here... The <range> argument is not optional
> here (`git log -L` by itself is meaningless)... I know gitcli(7) recommends the
> stuck form, ...

I do not think showing alternative ways distracts without adding
much value.  We should remember that most users are learning Git to
only to do things they want to do and not necessarily learning Git
to master all the slightly different ways to do the same thing.
"You can write option and its argument separately most of the time
but you must write option and its argument in the stuck form some
other times---you must think if the argument is optional or not,
whenyou want to write your argument separately" crams more things to
learn than the simple "Write option and its arguments in the stuck
form and it always works".

  reply	other threads:[~2020-10-31 17:31 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 30+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2020-10-28 12:47 [PATCH 0/6] blame: enable funcname blaming with userdiff driver Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 1/6] doc: log, gitk: move '-L' description to 'line-range-options.txt' Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-29 20:16   ` Junio C Hamano
2020-10-31 17:18     ` Philippe Blain
2020-10-31 17:29       ` Junio C Hamano [this message]
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 2/6] doc: line-range: improve formatting Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-28 17:23   ` Eric Sunshine
2020-10-29 20:19     ` Junio C Hamano
2020-10-31 17:20       ` Philippe Blain
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 3/6] blame-options.txt: also mention 'funcname' in '-L' description Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-29 20:25   ` Junio C Hamano
2020-10-31 17:22     ` Philippe Blain
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 4/6] doc: add more pointers to gitattributes(5) for userdiff Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-28 17:26   ` Eric Sunshine
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 5/6] line-log: mention both modes in 'blame' and 'log' short help Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-28 17:33   ` Eric Sunshine
2020-10-29 12:43     ` Philippe Blain
2020-10-28 12:47 ` [PATCH 6/6] blame: enable funcname blaming with userdiff driver Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-10-29 20:40   ` Junio C Hamano
2020-10-31 18:02     ` Philippe Blain
2020-10-31 18:58       ` Junio C Hamano
2020-11-01 17:28 ` [PATCH v2 0/8] " Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 1/8] doc: log, gitk: move '-L' description to 'line-range-options.txt' Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 2/8] doc: line-range: improve formatting Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 3/8] blame-options.txt: also mention 'funcname' in '-L' description Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 4/8] doc: add more pointers to gitattributes(5) for userdiff Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 5/8] line-log: mention both modes in 'blame' and 'log' short help Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 6/8] blame: enable funcname blaming with userdiff driver Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 7/8] blame: simplify 'setup_scoreboard' interface Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget
2020-11-01 17:28   ` [PATCH v2 8/8] blame: simplify 'setup_blame_bloom_data' interface Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

  List information: http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=xmqqmu02483u.fsf@gitster.c.googlers.com \
    --to=gitster@pobox.com \
    --cc=git@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=gitgitgadget@gmail.com \
    --cc=l.s.r@web.de \
    --cc=levraiphilippeblain@gmail.com \
    --cc=sunshine@sunshineco.com \
    --cc=tr@thomasrast.ch \
    --subject='Re: [PATCH 1/6] doc: log, gitk: move '\''-L'\'' description to '\''line-range-options.txt'\''' \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://80x24.org/mirrors/git.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).