git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
To: Jeff King <peff@peff.net>
Cc: Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget <gitgitgadget@gmail.com>,
	git@vger.kernel.org, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/1] config: work around bug with includeif:onbranch and early config
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 00:13:19 +0200 (CEST)
Message-ID: <nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.1908010004130.21907@tvgsbejvaqbjf.bet> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20190731220204.GA1933@sigill.intra.peff.net>

Hi Peff,

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, Jeff King wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 01:06:42PM -0700, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
>
> > Technically, there is a way to solve this properly: teach the refs
> > machinery to initialize the ref_store from a given gitdir/commondir pair
> > (which we _do_ have in the early config code path), and then use that in
> > `include_by_branch()`. This, however, is a pretty involved project, and
> > we're already in the feature freeze for Git v2.23.0.
>
> This gets tricky, because some commands are intentionally avoiding the
> normal lookup procedure (e.g., clone or init, and probably things like
> upload-pack that want to enter another repo). So I think it is OK as
> long as the early-config code is explicitly saying "and please look at
> the refs in this specific direectory now", and it doesn't affect other
> possible code paths that might look at refs. I _think_ that's what
> you're suggesting above, but I just want to make sure (not that it
> matters either way for this patch).

I think we already have the `git clone` problem with
`includeif.gitdir:`. AFAICT we _will_ discover a Git directory when
cloning inside an existing Git worktree.

> As a workaround, I suspect in many cases it might work to simply do a
> gentle setup (e.g., in "help"), but we simply weren't doing it before
> because there was no use case. That obviously wouldn't work for
> something like clone, though.

Right.

And as you say, there was no use case, and I would even contend that
there still is no use case. In the cover letter, I tried to concoct
something (using a branch-dependent pager) that sounds _really_
far-fetched to even me.
>
> > diff --git a/config.c b/config.c
> > index ed7f58e0fc..3900e4947b 100644
> > --- a/config.c
> > +++ b/config.c
> > @@ -275,7 +275,8 @@ static int include_by_branch(const char *cond, size_t cond_len)
> >  	int flags;
> >  	int ret;
> >  	struct strbuf pattern = STRBUF_INIT;
> > -	const char *refname = resolve_ref_unsafe("HEAD", 0, NULL, &flags);
> > +	const char *refname = !the_repository || !the_repository->gitdir ?
> > +		NULL : resolve_ref_unsafe("HEAD", 0, NULL, &flags);
>
> I think the_repository is always non-NULL.

No, it totally can be `NULL`. I know because my first version of the
patch did not have that extra check, and `git help -a` would segfault
outside a Git worktree when I had an `includeif.onbranch:` in my
`~/.gitconfig`.

I tried to explain that in the commit message, but obviously did a poor
job:

    Note: when calling above-mentioned two commands _outside_ of any Git
    worktree (passing the `--global` flag to `git config`, as there is
    obviously no repository config available), at the point when
    `include_by_branch()` is called, `the_repository` is `NULL`, therefore
    we have to be extra careful not to dereference it in that case.

> The way similar sites check this is withV
> "!startup_info->have_repository" or have_git_dir(). The early-config
> code uses the latter, so we should probably match it here.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not. At this point, it is not important
whether or not we discovered a Git directory, but whether or not we have
populated a dereference'able `the_repository`. Those are two different
things.

>   Side note: I suspect there are some cleanup opportunities. IIRC, I had
>   to add have_git_dir() to cover some cases where $GIT_DIR was set but
>   we hadn't explicitly done a setup step, but there's been a lot of
>   refactoring and cleanup in the initialization code since then. I'm not
>   sure if it's still necessary.

Yeah, well, I am not necessarily certain that we always ask the right
questions, such as asking whether we found a startup repository when we
need, in fact, to know whether `the_repository->refs` would cause a
segmentation fault because we would dereference a `NULL` pointer ;-)
>
> > diff --git a/t/t1309-early-config.sh b/t/t1309-early-config.sh
> > index 413642aa56..0c37e7180d 100755
> > --- a/t/t1309-early-config.sh
> > +++ b/t/t1309-early-config.sh
> > @@ -89,4 +89,9 @@ test_expect_failure 'ignore .git/ with invalid config' '
> >  	test_with_config "["
> >  '
> >
> > +test_expect_success 'early config and onbranch' '
> > +	echo "[broken" >broken &&
> > +	test_with_config "[includeif \"onbranch:refs/heads/master\"]path=../broken"
> > +'
>
> OK, so we know we didn't see the broken config because we'd have barfed
> if we actually included it. Makes sense.

That was the idea :-)

Thanks for the review!
Dscho

  reply	other threads:[~2019-07-31 22:13 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 17+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2019-07-31 19:53 [PATCH 0/1] Make the includeif:onbranch feature more robust Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget
2019-07-31 19:53 ` [PATCH 1/1] config: work around bug with includeif:onbranch and early config Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget
2019-07-31 21:37   ` Junio C Hamano
2019-07-31 20:06 ` [PATCH v2 0/1] Make the includeif:onbranch feature more robust Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget
2019-07-31 20:06   ` [PATCH v2 1/1] config: work around bug with includeif:onbranch and early config Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget
2019-07-31 22:02     ` Jeff King
2019-07-31 22:13       ` Johannes Schindelin [this message]
2019-07-31 23:12         ` Jeff King
2019-08-01  0:49           ` Jeff King
2019-08-01 17:24             ` Jeff Hostetler
2019-08-06 12:26               ` [PATCH 0/3] the_repository initialization cleanup Jeff King
2019-08-06 12:26                 ` [PATCH 1/3] t1309: use short branch name in includeIf.onbranch test Jeff King
2019-08-06 12:27                 ` [PATCH 2/3] common-main: delay trace2 initialization Jeff King
2019-08-06 12:27                 ` [PATCH 3/3] config: stop checking whether the_repository is NULL Jeff King
2019-08-06 12:49                   ` Jeff King
2019-08-08 19:48                     ` Johannes Schindelin
2019-08-06 12:56               ` [PATCH v2 1/1] config: work around bug with includeif:onbranch and early config Jeff King

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

  List information: http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.1908010004130.21907@tvgsbejvaqbjf.bet \
    --to=johannes.schindelin@gmx.de \
    --cc=git@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=gitgitgadget@gmail.com \
    --cc=gitster@pobox.com \
    --cc=peff@peff.net \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://public-inbox.org/git
	git clone --mirror http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 git git/ https://public-inbox.org/git \
		git@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index git

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.version-control.git
 note: .onion URLs require Tor: https://www.torproject.org/

code repositories for the project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://80x24.org/mirrors/git.git

AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git