git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)
 help / color / Atom feed
* Potential asterisk expansion bug in Windows Git Bash?
@ 2019-08-14 11:50 Bo Zhang
  2019-08-14 12:10 ` Jeff King
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Bo Zhang @ 2019-08-14 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the correct channel to submit a bug report for
Windows Git Bash. Please let me know if I did anything wrong.

Today I noticed that on Windows Git Bash, the asterisk (*) is
incorrectly expanded even when it’s in a quote or following a
backslash (\). I’m wondering if this is the correct behaviour (which
seems like to me NOT).

Step to reproduce (in Windows git bash):

zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.4.19(2)-release (x86_64-pc-msys)
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
$ cat 1.sh
echo $1

zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
$ bash 1.sh '*'
$A 1.sh 1.txt

zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
$ bash 1.sh "*"
$A 1.sh 1.txt

zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
$ bash 1.sh \*
1.sh 1.txt

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Bo Zhang

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Potential asterisk expansion bug in Windows Git Bash?
  2019-08-14 11:50 Potential asterisk expansion bug in Windows Git Bash? Bo Zhang
@ 2019-08-14 12:10 ` Jeff King
  2019-08-14 12:38   ` Bo Zhang
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Jeff King @ 2019-08-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bo Zhang; +Cc: git

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 07:50:47PM +0800, Bo Zhang wrote:

> Today I noticed that on Windows Git Bash, the asterisk (*) is
> incorrectly expanded even when it’s in a quote or following a
> backslash (\). I’m wondering if this is the correct behaviour (which
> seems like to me NOT).
> 
> Step to reproduce (in Windows git bash):
> 
> zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.4.19(2)-release (x86_64-pc-msys)
> Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> 
> This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> 
> zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> $ cat 1.sh
> echo $1

Your script doesn't quote "$1", so whatever you pass in will be subject
to wildcard expansion inside the shell running the script.

Try this:

  $ cat bad.sh
  echo $1
  $ cat good.sh
  echo "$1"

  $ bash bad.sh '*'
  bad.sh good.sh

  $ bash good.sh '*'
  *

> zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> $ bash 1.sh '*'
> $A 1.sh 1.txt

So this is the case I showed above.

> zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> $ bash 1.sh "*"
> $A 1.sh 1.txt

And this is equivalent. The quotes suppress wildcard expansion in your
interactive shell, but the script itself does another round of
expansion.

> zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> $ bash 1.sh \*
> 1.sh 1.txt

And same here.

-Peff

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Potential asterisk expansion bug in Windows Git Bash?
  2019-08-14 12:10 ` Jeff King
@ 2019-08-14 12:38   ` Bo Zhang
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Bo Zhang @ 2019-08-14 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

Thank you very much Jeff!

It turns out I ran into
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8131329 on Windows. The
example was also a mistake. Anyway, false alarm, thank you again!

Regards,
Bo

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:10 PM Jeff King <peff@peff.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 07:50:47PM +0800, Bo Zhang wrote:
>
> > Today I noticed that on Windows Git Bash, the asterisk (*) is
> > incorrectly expanded even when it’s in a quote or following a
> > backslash (\). I’m wondering if this is the correct behaviour (which
> > seems like to me NOT).
> >
> > Step to reproduce (in Windows git bash):
> >
> > zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> > $ bash --version
> > GNU bash, version 4.4.19(2)-release (x86_64-pc-msys)
> > Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> >
> > This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
> > There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> >
> > zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> > $ cat 1.sh
> > echo $1
>
> Your script doesn't quote "$1", so whatever you pass in will be subject
> to wildcard expansion inside the shell running the script.
>
> Try this:
>
>   $ cat bad.sh
>   echo $1
>   $ cat good.sh
>   echo "$1"
>
>   $ bash bad.sh '*'
>   bad.sh good.sh
>
>   $ bash good.sh '*'
>   *
>
> > zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> > $ bash 1.sh '*'
> > $A 1.sh 1.txt
>
> So this is the case I showed above.
>
> > zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> > $ bash 1.sh "*"
> > $A 1.sh 1.txt
>
> And this is equivalent. The quotes suppress wildcard expansion in your
> interactive shell, but the script itself does another round of
> expansion.
>
> > zhb@zhb-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop
> > $ bash 1.sh \*
> > 1.sh 1.txt
>
> And same here.
>
> -Peff

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-08-14 11:50 Potential asterisk expansion bug in Windows Git Bash? Bo Zhang
2019-08-14 12:10 ` Jeff King
2019-08-14 12:38   ` Bo Zhang

git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://public-inbox.org/git
	git clone --mirror http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/git

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git

 note: .onion URLs require Tor: https://www.torproject.org/

AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox