git@vger.kernel.org mailing list mirror (one of many)
 help / Atom feed
From: Stefan Beller <sbeller@google.com>
To: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>
Cc: git <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] submodule: submodule_move_head omits old argument in forced case
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 14:54:53 -0800
Message-ID: <CAGZ79kake8k2dM=NPwNoqB5Vkxy+k67PACz01-aXx6-njcisgQ@mail.gmail.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20171219224431.GG240141@aiede.mtv.corp.google.com>

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had trouble understanding what this fixes, so I'll try nitpicking a
> bit as a sideways way to address that.
>
> Stefan Beller wrote:
>
>> With the previous patch applied (fix of the same() function),
>
> This tripped me up a bit.  Usually commits assume that all previous
> patches have already been applied, since that allows the maintainer to
> apply the early part of a series on one day and the later part another
> day without losing too much context.
>
> I think this intends to say something like
>
>         Now that we allow recursing into an unchanged submodule (see
>         "unpack-trees: Fix same() for submodules", 2017-12-19), it is
>         possible for ...


yup

>
>>                                                               the
>> function `submodule_move_head` may be invoked with the same argument
>> for the `old` and `new` state of a submodule, for example when you
>> run `reset --hard --recurse-submodules` in the superproject that has no
>> change in the gitlink entry, but only worktree related change in the
>> submodule. The read-tree call in the submodule is not amused about
>> the duplicate argument.
>
> What is the symptom of read-tree being unamused?  Is that a sign that
> these patches are out of order (i.e. that we should prepare to handle an
> unchanged submodule first, and then adjust the caller to pass in
> unchanged submodules)?
>
>> It turns out that we can omit the duplicate old argument in all forced
>> cases anyway, so let's do that.
>
> What is the end-user visibile effect of such a change?  E.g. what
> becomes possible to a user that wasn't possible before?
>
> Among the commands you mentioned before:
>
>   checkout -f
>         I think I would expect this not to touch a submodule that
>         hasn't changed, since that would be consistent with its
>         behavior on files that haven't changed.
>
>   reset --hard
>         Nice!  Yes, recursing into unchanged submodules is a big part
>         of the psychological comfort of being able to say "you can
>         always use reset --hard <commit> to get back to a known
>         state".

I may have a different understanding of git commands than you do,
but a plain "checkout -f" with no further arguments is the same as
a hard reset IMHO, and could be used interchangeably?

Rehashing the "What is a submodule?" discussion, I would claim
that when its worktree is changed, we'd want checkout to restore
the submodules worktree back, so I disagree with your assessment
of checkout -f.

>   read-tree -u --reset
>         This is essentially the plumbing equivalent of reset --hard,
>         so it makes sense for them to be consistent.  Ok.
>
> Based on the checkout -f case, if I've understood correctly then patch
> 4/5 goes too far on it (but I could easily be convinced otherwise).

Without 4/5 we cannot implement hard reset recursing into submodules
as it is functionally the same as forced checkout except when we
differentiate them
on a higher layer?

>> Signed-off-by: Stefan Beller <sbeller@google.com>
>> ---
>>  submodule.c               | 4 +++-
>>  t/lib-submodule-update.sh | 2 +-
>>  2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>>
>> diff --git a/submodule.c b/submodule.c
>> index fa25888783..db0f7ac51e 100644
>> --- a/submodule.c
>> +++ b/submodule.c
>> @@ -1653,7 +1653,9 @@ int submodule_move_head(const char *path,
>>       else
>>               argv_array_push(&cp.args, "-m");
>>
>> -     argv_array_push(&cp.args, old ? old : EMPTY_TREE_SHA1_HEX);
>> +     if (!(flags & SUBMODULE_MOVE_HEAD_FORCE))
>> +             argv_array_push(&cp.args, old ? old : EMPTY_TREE_SHA1_HEX);
>
> Interesting.  What is the effect when old != new?

when the force flag is set we mostly pass in old="HEAD", which is
technically correct,
but not a sha1. (I assume you want to know what happens when two unequal sha1s
are given; for that it will perform a 2 way merge instead of a complete reset)

Thanks,
Stefan

  reply index

Thread overview: 38+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2017-12-19 22:26 [PATCH 0/5] Fix --recurse-submodules for submodule worktree changes Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:26 ` [PATCH 1/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: clarify test Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:26 ` [PATCH 2/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: Fix test ignoring ignored files in submodules Stefan Beller
2017-12-22 19:34   ` Junio C Hamano
2017-12-27 19:27     ` Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:26 ` [PATCH 3/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: add new test for submodule internal change Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:31   ` Jonathan Nieder
2017-12-19 22:35     ` Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:26 ` [PATCH 4/5] unpack-trees: Fix same() for submodules Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:26 ` [PATCH 5/5] submodule: submodule_move_head omits old argument in forced case Stefan Beller
2017-12-19 22:44   ` Jonathan Nieder
2017-12-19 22:54     ` Stefan Beller [this message]
2017-12-19 23:15       ` Jonathan Nieder
2017-12-20  0:01       ` Jonathan Nieder
2017-12-20 19:36         ` Stefan Beller
2017-12-20 19:38           ` Stefan Beller
2017-12-27 22:57 ` [PATCHv2 0/5] Fix --recurse-submodules for submodule worktree changes Stefan Beller
2017-12-27 22:57   ` [PATCHv2 1/5] t/helper/test-lazy-name-hash: fix compilation Stefan Beller
2017-12-27 22:57   ` [PATCHv2 2/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: clarify test Stefan Beller
2017-12-27 22:57   ` [PATCHv2 3/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: Fix test ignoring ignored files in submodules Stefan Beller
2017-12-27 22:57   ` [PATCHv2 4/5] unpack-trees: oneway_merge to update submodules Stefan Beller
2018-01-02 19:43     ` Junio C Hamano
2018-01-02 23:04       ` Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12       ` [PATCHv3 0/5] Fix --recurse-submodules for submodule worktree changes Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12         ` [PATCH 1/5] t/helper/test-lazy-name-hash: fix compilation Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12         ` [PATCH 2/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: clarify test Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12         ` [PATCH 3/5] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: Fix test ignoring ignored files in submodules Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12         ` [PATCH 4/5] unpack-trees: oneway_merge to update submodules Stefan Beller
2018-01-03  1:12         ` [PATCH 5/5] submodule: submodule_move_head omits old argument in forced case Stefan Beller
2018-01-03 20:49         ` [PATCHv3 0/5] Fix --recurse-submodules for submodule worktree changes Junio C Hamano
2018-01-03 21:16           ` Stefan Beller
2018-01-05 20:03           ` [PATCHv4 0/4] " Stefan Beller
2018-01-05 20:03             ` [PATCHv4 1/4] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: clarify test Stefan Beller
2018-01-05 20:03             ` [PATCHv4 2/4] t/lib-submodule-update.sh: Fix test ignoring ignored files in submodules Stefan Beller
2018-01-05 20:03             ` [PATCHv4 3/4] unpack-trees: oneway_merge to update submodules Stefan Beller
2018-01-05 20:03             ` [PATCHv4 4/4] submodule: submodule_move_head omits old argument in forced case Stefan Beller
2018-01-09 22:45             ` [PATCHv4 0/4] Fix --recurse-submodules for submodule worktree changes Junio C Hamano
2017-12-27 22:57   ` [PATCHv2 5/5] submodule: submodule_move_head omits old argument in forced case Stefan Beller

Reply instructions:

You may reply publically to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

  List information: http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to='CAGZ79kake8k2dM=NPwNoqB5Vkxy+k67PACz01-aXx6-njcisgQ@mail.gmail.com' \
    --to=sbeller@google.com \
    --cc=git@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=jrnieder@gmail.com \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

git@vger.kernel.org mailing list mirror (one of many)

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://public-inbox.org/git
	git clone --mirror http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/git
	git clone --mirror http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/git

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/inbox.comp.version-control.git
	nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git

 note: .onion URLs require Tor: https://www.torproject.org/
       or Tor2web: https://www.tor2web.org/

AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox