From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: how's memory usage on public-inbox-httpd?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 19:11:44 +0000	[thread overview]

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 12:11:44AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> >> It's been definitely dramatically better. We keep adding lists to
> >> lore, so I
> >> haven't really been able to watch memory usage after a long period of daemon
> >> uptime, but it's never really gone very much above 1GB. In fact, we're
> >> downgrading lore to a smaller instance in the near future since we don't
> >> need to worry about running out of RAM any more.
> >
> >Cool, but 1GB is still an order of magnitude worse that what
> >I'd expect :<   I remember Email::MIME had huge explosions with
> >some 30MB+ spam messages:
> >  https://public-inbox.org/meta/20190609083918.gfr2kurah7f2hysx@dcvr/
> >  (maybe gmime can help)
> >
> >Depending on your storage speed/latency, more RAM can still help
> >significantly with Xapian.  The NVME stuff has amazing numbers,
> >but my mobos are too old and I'm still stuck on SATA 2.
>
> My goal is to rework lore.kernel.org significantly. Currently, it's a
> single system hosted at AWS that both receives mail and serves the
> archives, but I would actually like to split it into two:
>
> - the archiver that just generates git repositories but serves no
>   traffic (probably running directly on mail.kernel.org).
> - several front-ends that replicate repositories from the archiver and
>   provide http/nntp access, probably reusing mirrors.edge.kernel.org
>   nodes that run from us-west, us-east, eu-west and ap-east.
>
> That should provide both redundancy and better geographic availability
> of the service. This requires some testing first to ensure that
> grokmirror hooks and reindexing works reliably for replicated repo
> collections.

Yeah, I noticed some mirror indexing bugs at:
https://public-inbox.org/meta/20191016211415.GA6084@dcvr/

But patches 4/3 and 5/3 seem to be doing everything right and
I expect the series to be merged soon.

I'm also planning to dogfood a mirror of lore off some of my
.onions, soon.

> >Is nntpd better?  That only uses Email::Simple and not MIME;
> >so less explosions.
>
> The number of people using nntp is several orders of magnitude lower, so
> I'm not sure it's a good metric for anything.

Hopefully nntp usage goes up over time.